My idea for an alternate government system

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. My idea for an alternate government system

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
7 months ago#1
So, there's problems with how we vote, right? According to Arrow's Impossibility Theorem, you can't have a system that satisfies a bunch of desirable properties when there are more than two candidates. That's why we are pretty much a two-party system, but we still have third parties and so still get the effects of things like spoilers.

My idea works like this. You start with what is essentially a direct democracy, with everyone having a vote. With the technology we have available today, it's already more feasible than when the country was founded. Of course, this is unsustainable because you need a smaller group of governing people to work on the day-to-day basis. So what you can do is give someone your vote. "Oh, I know that whatever Will votes for, I'd vote for, too. So I'll just give Will my vote." Now Will's vote has the power of two votes.

What this would lead to (and you may want to jump to directly) is representatives having thousands of votes, because these people who be doing the work of paying attention to policy and writing laws and whatnot. You can set a threshhold of, like, 150,000 people, where if anyone have been given at least 150,000 votes they are considered an official Representative and are given a government salary.

This solves the problems of third parties and gerrymandering because we're not picking between a group of candidates for a single representative, we're just saying who represents the most people. If my city has 300,000 people "vote" for one candidate, 150,000 for another, and 10,000 for a third, they all get to participate (although the candidate with 10000 doesn't get the salary and probably has to work from a local office rather than one in DC). There's no spoilers, no cloning, no other voting system problems, because the only actual votes are the votes on bills, which are yes/no votes and don't have those kinds of problems.

How to vote for an Executive is still tricky because that's supposed to be a single person, so it works better for a parliamentary system than what we have in the US. But it's certainly a better legislative system, I think. Thoughts?
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

User Info: Kodiologist

Kodiologist
7 months ago#2
I remember seeing a proposal for direct democracy with ad-hoc representation, very similar to this, several years ago on PMS, and liking it a lot. I don't remember who proposed it, but I guess it was you.

I think one important feature of such a system is conditional or partial representation. For example, I like Richard Stallman's views on economic and social issues, but we don't quite agree on foreign policy: in particular, I'm a pacifist and he isn't. So I'd like to automatically use Stallman's vote on economic and social issues but somebody else's on foreign policy, or maybe choose those votes myself. I imagine that many other people would similarly like to mix and match representatives. The tricky thing in implementing this would be to keep people from strategically miscategorizing bills in order to game the system.

---
Have you ever stopped to think and forgotten to start again?

Jacehan
7 months ago#3
That seems unwieldy. Surely with the 200 million voters in America there'd be someone whose views more closely align to you. Or close enough that you'd ignore the differences.
Paper Mario Social:

Kodiologist
7 months ago#4
Yeah, but you're not just choosing somebody for having views like yours, right? If that were your only concern, you could just make all your votes yourself. Rather, you want somebody who's more politically active than you are, and preferably smarter than you, too. It could be hard to find a politically active, intelligent person whose views really do line up with yours as much as you'd like. But, perhaps we could build systems—websites or something—to make that easier.

---

User Info: HeyDude

HeyDude
7 months ago#5
I don't get it. In practice I don't see how it'll produce different results.

Kodiologist
7 months ago#6
The consequences would be huge. Just for starters, it breaks us out of the two-party system because there's no need to choose a representative who's popular enough to be also chosen by other people. You can choose a representative nobody else has and your vote won't be "lost"; your representative can still vote in line with your interests on each bill.

---

Jacehan
7 months ago#7
Your representative would actually be representing you, and not just, say 51% of the people in the district you happen to live in. The political power of the representatives come directly from actually representing people.
Paper Mario Social:

User Info: PaperSpock

PaperSpock
7 months ago#8
I'm a big fan of this idea. I'd also like to see multi-level vote delegation. Let's say I delegate all my votes to Rory. Rory can then also delegate some or all of his votes to another party whom he trusts. He (or I) can even do partial vote delegation. Let's say that Rory knows Liz, who is an economist. He then turns all votes over to Liz. Some of those votes Liz might make for herself, but pass her vote along to another economist she knows who she feels she agrees with, but is better informed to decide on a specific issue. There would need to be some mechanism to prevent voting loops.
Fame is but a slow decay.
-Theodore Tilton
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. My idea for an alternate government system

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived