I have become the Great Gonzales. (TTYD spoilers?)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. I have become the Great Gonzales. (TTYD spoilers?)

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
7 months ago#1
In my neverending quest to finish TTYD for the first time, I decided yesterday to pick the game back up so I could watch the Game Grumps' current playthrough without having the rest of the game spoiled for me. (They've just reached the real meat of chapter 2).

From several years ago, my save file was right there at the entrance of Chapter 3. I picked it up, found my way to the arena, took on the challengers and finished it. It was really fun and I liked it a lot. Let's hope my game endurance lasts long enough to run through it at a bit faster pace. I've had this game since high school and still haven't finished it.
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

Kylo Force
7 months ago#2
(Also, apparently the last time I tried to go through TTYD was in 2013. Thanks, Wisterwood / GameFAQs archives!)

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/2000083-paper-mario-social/67095801
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

User Info: Kodiologist

Kodiologist
7 months ago#3
I'm surprised you've never gotten around to it. TTYD is a big improvement on the already well regarded original, and in the running for the GameCube's best game.

---
Have you ever stopped to think and forgotten to start again?

Kylo Force
7 months ago#4
I think at the time that I got it, I was under RPG-fatigue from many, many hours of playing Tales of Symphonia. Then college hit and I had no time for "long" RPGs. I'm glad I've gotten back into it though, because it is a lot of fun.

Sort of ironically, I have played the OG Paper Mario at least once or twice through since then, but for whatever reason I've never let TTYD's hooks get into me.

User Info: LinkPrime1

LinkPrime1
7 months ago#5
Oh man you stopped AT chapter 3?! That's by far my favorite in the series.

The rest of the game is excellent, to the point that I actually stopped playing at chapter 7 because I didn't want the game to end.

I picked it back up a month later and finished, of course. Which really means something for someone who criminally leaves games unfinished as I do.
Well, there is a new accent of n00b language. It's called: Vet LUEser goes Foreign!-MegaSpy22
Those must be the pants of the gods!-Digitalpython

User Info: BUM

BUM
7 months ago#6
Yeah, all of the PM games were good, in my opinion. TTYD is a solid game and it's quite a good fortune to you to still be able to play it through for the first time.

Super Paper Mario was interesting. I thought it started out weak until chapter 5 or 6, and then it became very good. Honestly, it was far more dramatic than might be appropriate for Mario, but it was cool. Didn't like any of the towns, though. They really lost out on that quaint feeling that the original and TTYD had.
SIGNATURE

Kylo Force
7 months ago#7
I did like Super Paper Mario quite a lot, but I only ever played it once through. I did not have the endurance to play much of Sticker Star. I have Color Splash but I haven't given it much of a chance. The writing is still great and the gameplay stuck to me more than Sticker Star but I didn't really give it much to get into it. For now though, I'm going to focus on TTYD.

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
7 months ago#8
That part always impressed me, because it was so great, but from a purely theoretical standpoint it should have been the weakest. You're just going and fighting enemies in the same room in sequence, but it's so great.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

Kylo Force
7 months ago#9
I was definitely having flashbacks to the sequence in Super Paper Mario where you have to fight all of those samurai-themed guys all in a row, and thought to myself "this is the best the game can do?" But I really did like it, I thought the presentation of the entire thing was really well done.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. I have become the Great Gonzales. (TTYD spoilers?)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived