Ugh, I hate vague "I need to speak with you tomorrow" emails.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. Ugh, I hate vague "I need to speak with you tomorrow" emails.

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
5 months ago#1
Like, do bosses just not realize how stressful that is, or not care?
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

User Info: Kodiologist

Kodiologist
5 months ago#2
There is no end to the mysteries of how people use email:

• People write out a salutation, or write their name at the end, or both, when both the recipient and the sender are already identified in the headers.
• People leave the subject line blank, or put something useless in it, like "Hi" or the recipient's name.
• People send Word documents when they could just put the text in the body of the message.
• People use colored text. Not for emphasis, for the whole message. What the hell is this, MySpace circa 2005? Save the pink text for the handwritten thank-you notes to your SoulCycle instructor.
• Email clients increasingly don't provide a way to quote part of a message with carets, like people have been doing on Usenet since the 80s, so everybody invents their own way to intermingle their replies with the original message (I've seen ALL CAPS, boldface, and colored text).
• When people don't feel like helping you or can't help you, they just don't reply to your message. They can't be bothered to spend 10 seconds typing "No" or "I don't know" and hitting the send button; they'd rather keep you in suspense indefinitely.
• Organizations sign up, without so much as asking, every single employee to receive many different kinds of stupid, distracting emails on a daily basis.
• When organizations are worried about the confidentiality of email, they use a complete reimplmentation of all the core features of email and put it in some kind of walled garden, instead of just encrypting email.
• Speaking of confidentiality, how about this little abomination? http://law.stackexchange.com/q/12081
• Every godforsaken web application needs to send me an email confirmation whenever I so much as sneeze.

I'd think of more, but I need to keep my blood pressure down.

---
Have you ever stopped to think and forgotten to start again?

User Info: HeyDude

HeyDude
5 months ago#3
I think bosses don't care. I had one, Dawn, and the first time she did that, I told her it worried me, and we laughed about how it felt like I was being called to the principal's office. Then she did it two or three more times over the time I worked there.

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
5 months ago#4
Of course, in my case, I was literally being called to the principal's office.

It turned out to be no big deal. I mentioned that I wished she had said was it was about in her email and she gave a surprised look.
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
5 months ago#5
My new supervisor is currently going through a series of training sessions about how to be an effective supervisor because she has never had a supervisory position in her long career. It's awkward because I'm her only direct report (outside of our student assistant, who at this point I am more in charge of than she is.)

As part of the training sessions, she was asked to distribute to some of her direct reports (aka me) a list of attributes and skills that supervisors may have, and for me to rank which six I find important in a supervisor and which six I would prioritize less.

It specifically stated that I shouldn't rate them based on skills that I think my supervisor has/doesn't have, but instead what is important to me in an intrinsic sort of way.

It's dumb because I'm literally her only employee and there's no way she's not going to see this as "THESE ARE YOUR DEFICIENCIES PLEASE FIX THEM."

There are deficiencies in her skill set and I'm trying my best to manage, but this isn't the way I wanted to go about it.

EDIT: This is related because a number of the skillsets were related to communication skills and she both a poor communicator AND has difficulty with technology, which is a perfect storm of terrible deficiencies when the majority of people that you have to contact are across the state or in different states.

TL;DR: Email is hard and email is weird. Email is harder and weirder for old people who have difficulties with technology.
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. Ugh, I hate vague "I need to speak with you tomorrow" emails.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived