What did the pacifist say on Facebook for Memorial Day?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. What did the pacifist say on Facebook for Memorial Day?

User Info: HeyDude

HeyDude
1 month ago#1
Nothing because I have no idea what to say...

User Info: PaperSpock

PaperSpock
1 month ago#2
I don't know that you HAVE to say anything on Facebook. But I suppose a pacifist could focus on the tragedy of the death of soldiers. I mean, I feel that a pacifist opposes war because of its destruction, and dead soldiers are a symptom of this. Of course, I'm not a hardcore pacifist, so I'm speculating.
Fame is but a slow decay.
-Theodore Tilton

User Info: Kodiologist

Kodiologist
1 month ago#3
I've at least once said something sharp on the Internets on Memorial Day about how ostentatious reverence for soldiers, including special remembrance of dead soldiers, is a part of the mythology that keeps war going. By making a big show of honoring the dead, we help convince ourselves that their deaths were meaningful or valuable or necessary, when in fact they were the pointless victims of nationalism, hatred, and greed. If you don't like soldiers dying--and for one I don't--then you should be a pacifist, because killing soldiers is what war is all about.

---
Have you ever stopped to think and forgotten to start again?

User Info: BUM

BUM
1 month ago#4
It depends on the war. If the war is motivated by nationalism, hatred, and greed, and you are caught up in that war machine, you may be considered a victim of it. But even then there is honor in doing what is right in your own individual circumstances as a soldier in the war.

If the war is just, then it is certainly an honorable and valuable cause to die for. There are some men out there who just want to kill people. But by and large they are recognizing a calling to serve with their lives for the good of others. As Frodo Baggins once said, “It must often be so, Sam, when things are in danger: some one has to give them up, lose them, so that others may keep them."

I for one, would not say that their deaths are meaningless, even in an unjust war. The death of an upright man is never meaningless. "Precious in the sight of the Lord, is the death of his saints." And so I also, on a related matter, continue to oppose the desperate title of "Shoa" that many use in order to rename the Holocaust; nor will I ever use it.

Nevertheless, when one has nothing to say, it is better that one simply not say anything. We speak too much as it is.
SIGNATURE

Kodiologist
1 month ago#5
If the war is just

There's no such thing as a just war.

---

User Info: LinkPrime1

LinkPrime1
1 month ago#6
I saw what you posted Alex and I thought it was pretty good. Well done.
Well, there is a new accent of n00b language. It's called: Vet LUEser goes Foreign!-MegaSpy22
Those must be the pants of the gods!-Digitalpython

Kodiologist
1 month ago#7
HeyDude Facebooked...
Thankful for the selflessness of every soldier, airman, guardsman, marine, and sailor who sacrificed their lives. I hate war -- I think everyone should! -- but I admire that noble, brave, amazing spirit that would lay down life for the good of their fellow citizen.

Sure, they'll sacrifice their own lives, ostensibly for the good of other Americans (and I'm skeptical that this is the actual motivation, and I'm yet more skeptical that this is the actual effect), but also for the evil of non-Americans. So I'm not seeing the nobility here. It seems that, at a minimum, moral behavior requires not killing anybody, not just not killing your fellow citizens.

---

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
1 month ago#8
Yeah, our lives are pretty sweet in part because of all sorts of killing of foreign poor people.

I guess when you get down to it, there is no ethical bourgeoisie lifestyle.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

User Info: PaperSpock

PaperSpock
1 month ago#9
I guess I would generally favor pacifism, but I'm not sure what you do with an actual, Hitler-type situation.
Fame is but a slow decay.
-Theodore Tilton

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
1 month ago#10
Kodiologist posted...
If the war is just

There's no such thing as a just war.

World War II?

Is a war just if it saves more lives than it costs?
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. What did the pacifist say on Facebook for Memorial Day?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived