Do you write thank-you notes after a job interview?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. Do you write thank-you notes after a job interview?

User Info: Kodiologist

Kodiologist
5 months ago#1
I was surprised to find advice to this effect. A thank-you note for an interview seems ludicrously and transparently ingratiating, especially when handwritten.

---
Have you ever stopped to think and forgotten to start again?

User Info: GMTELigence

GMTELigence
5 months ago#2
I usually follow up via e-mail, but even that tended to feel excessive.
Let NOTHING stand in your way.

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
5 months ago#3
I definitely got my first teaching job because I sent a follow-up email. It wasn't a thank you, it was more of a "I've thought some more about what we've talked about" thing.
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

User Info: HeyDude

HeyDude
5 months ago#4
It shows you've been coached on good etiquette. Sometimes that's all it shows. Other times, like in James's example, it shows you're thoughtful. Still other times, the interview genuinely took a long time and cost them some time you're grateful they spent on you. Then of course, there's the "I want to check if I'm getting hired, and I'm going to start off by using my manners".

User Info: LinkPrime1

LinkPrime1
5 months ago#5
I always follow up with an appreciation of thanks 24-48 hours from the interview.
Well, there is a new accent of n00b language. It's called: Vet LUEser goes Foreign!-MegaSpy22
Those must be the pants of the gods!-Digitalpython

Kodiologist
5 months ago#6
Whose thanks do you appreciate, in that case?

---

User Info: Kylo Force

Kylo Force
5 months ago#7
I'm sort of two minds about this. Back when I used to give a lot of interviews, I would find it sort of obnoxious because I knew that it was something that people had simply been coached to do rather than out of actual thanks.

But at the same time, it does show a level of mindfulness about followup, which I appreciate. It's not so much the fact that they wrote the thank you note but the fact that they thought that it would be beneficial and followed through with it. It's like another indicator of skill, I guess. That's how I think of it if I interview people now.
"Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod."
"To those without fear, there is no such thing as a tall fence." - Filipino Proverb

User Info: HeyDude

HeyDude
5 months ago#8
It's not only that, Jon, but I also think it shows they wanted the job enough to bother being coached.

Kodiologist
5 months ago#9
It comes to show that the qualities on which candidates are judged often vary dramatically from the qualities that determine how well they will do the job.

---

User Info: LinkPrime1

LinkPrime1
5 months ago#10
Kodiologist posted...
Whose thanks do you appreciate, in that case?

---

All thanks that ever were, and ever will be.

No thanks should ever go unappreciated!
Well, there is a new accent of n00b language. It's called: Vet LUEser goes Foreign!-MegaSpy22
Those must be the pants of the gods!-Digitalpython
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. Do you write thank-you notes after a job interview?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived