James I'm starting a side-hustle and could use your input on that as an educator

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. James I'm starting a side-hustle and could use your input on that as an educator

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
2 months ago#1
(80/80)

One of my cousin's kids needs to learn a year of Latin in in like a month and I offered to help her out, which got me thinking about the possibility of telling kids what declensions are.

How does one get into that sweet tutoring system? It seems like the kids who are getting tutoring in Latin have parents with lots of money to spend on the roots of difficult SAT words and the like.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

User Info: HeyDude

HeyDude
2 months ago#2
Make a profile on Wyzant

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
2 months ago#3
Good question. I'm not that familiar with the tutoring circuit - it's a whole weird world in there. Many of the friends I have that do do private tutoring started with a tutoring company. Often the clients will want to cut out the middleman eventually, or recommend you to their friends sans middleman.

That website Alex mentioned looks good, though.
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

User Info: HeyDude

HeyDude
2 months ago#4
(My PhD possessing friend who's super smart but who unfortunately can't get a professorship goes through Wyzant. He does get clients, so it's working for him.)

User Info: Kodiologist

Kodiologist
2 months ago#5
Didn't you used to tutor through a website, James?

---
Have you ever stopped to think and forgotten to start again?

User Info: GMTELigence

GMTELigence
2 months ago#6
Yeah, Wyzant is your best bet for starting off. You can set your areas of expertise and desired pay rate and then things go from there.
Let NOTHING stand in your way.

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
2 months ago#7
I did used to work for tutor.com. It was not a pleasant experience.
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

User Info: Kodiologist

Kodiologist
2 months ago#8
Way back in 2007, I briefly interned at Partners with Parents ( http://www.partnerswithparents.com ). I just worked in the office, but it seemed like a pretty good gig for tutors, since you get connected to rich Manhattan families. It could be worth trying if you're still in New York.

---
Have you ever stopped to think and forgotten to start again?
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. James I'm starting a side-hustle and could use your input on that as an educator

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived