As a lover of Buffy, Angel, Firefly, and Dollhouse, recent news has me sad.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. As a lover of Buffy, Angel, Firefly, and Dollhouse, recent news has me sad.

User Info: PaperSpock

PaperSpock
2 months ago#1
http://www.thewrap.com/joss-whedon-feminist-hypocrite-infidelity-affairs-ex-wife-kai-cole-says/

Basically, he had been cheating on his wife since Buffy. And the circumstances sound super messy. I really wish he hadn't done this, and lends credence to other rumors of less than good behavior by him.
Fame is but a slow decay.
-Theodore Tilton

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
2 months ago#2
Yeah, I remember reading a feminist critique of Firefly back when it had just come off the air that pointed out how gross, cruel, and stupid all the writing around Inara was. It was kind of weak insofar as it didn't recognize a difference between depicting a thing and licensing it, but it did make a pretty good point about how badly they botched what was (I assume) intended as a good-natured attempt at a strong liberated female character.

Of course, now I've been watching Buffy and some of it's downright painful. (Buffy's formative sexual experience turns the boy [oh who is 200 years old and looks 35 but no one seems very bothered by that] into a monster.) Basically everything Xander says and does for the first three seasons. Argh.

Now obviously, 20 years ago there was a different level and sort of discourse about gender in popular teevee, and it's all very enjoyable if you keep that in mind. It's even very good teevee, but it's awkwardly period, is what I'm saying.

(Also, spoiler: People complain about the First Slayer, which I've only seen that first time she showed up so don't say anything else, but watching that I was like "oh that's really unfortunate. But also, is the Slayer is coterminous with humanity, she would have to be an African cave woman, so, like, I don't have a solution here.")

I realize that it's kind of the worst to turn "this guy cheated on his wife repeatedly" into a referendum on the radical feminist credibility of his work--which, to his credit, he always protested against--but I kind of don't care about an artist's interhuman failings unless they're, like, real bad. This sounds neither Cosby bad nor Polansky bad. It's kind of B. Clinton bad, which is bad, but if we're willing to accept NAFTA as a fundamentally sound idea even as we critique its particularities, we can do the same with the Joss Whedon corpus.

I'm not thrilled with his treatments of Emma Frost and Kitty either btw.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir

User Info: Kodiologist

Kodiologist
2 months ago#3
Radical feminist? Feh. He always seemed like a third-wave feminist to me, and in some ways a good example of what's wrong with third-wave feminism.

---
Have you ever stopped to think and forgotten to start again?

User Info: willis5225

willis5225
1 month ago#4
Yeah, you're hitting the nail on the head. It's kind of the worst to talk about Joss Whedon as a radical feminist, because of course he's going to disappoint.
Willis, it seems like every other time you post, I need to look up a word that's in the OED or Urban Dictionary but not both.
-Mimir
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario - Social
  3. As a lover of Buffy, Angel, Firefly, and Dollhouse, recent news has me sad.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived