This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I've always wondered.. Why did they design the Gundams head like that?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Anime and Manga - Gundam
  3. I've always wondered.. Why did they design the Gundams head like that?

User Info: OhHeyltsYou

OhHeyltsYou
3 years ago#1
Something I've always been curious about. It reminds me of a samurai helmet in a way. Anyone know of any interviews or articles explaining how they came up with the idea? I've always liked the look of it. Just curious on how it came to be.
PSN: NaturaIBorn
FC: 2063-0294-5253

User Info: Roc_Kor

Roc_Kor
3 years ago#2
It does resemble a samurai helmet. And it's for the same reason the colors of the original Gundam were red, blue, and yellow instead of Tomino's preferred gray. To sell toys. The toy sponsors had a lot of sway in the original Gundam series.
PSN: Roc_Kor

User Info: juliomon7

juliomon7
3 years ago#3
To me they resemble a Greek's spartan helmet.
The gaming industry is continuously going down in both quantity and quality. This makes me feel sad.

User Info: Trevorkkho

Trevorkkho
3 years ago#4
Go watch super robot version of Gundam;s head(and its predecessor) Daitarn 3 and Zombot 3.
POK Erthroid Myeloid Ontogenic

User Info: Ricemills

Ricemills
3 years ago#5
Trevorkkho posted...
Go watch super robot version of Gundam;s head(and its predecessor) Daitarn 3 and Zombot 3.

I find Baldios looked much more like a Gundam than those two.
You have the right to remain silent, anything you post will be misquoted, then used against you.

User Info: Trevorkkho

Trevorkkho
3 years ago#6
Ricemills posted...
I find Baldios looked much more like a Gundam than those two.

Just need head and samurai helmet reference.
POK Erthroid Myeloid Ontogenic

User Info: Bazooka_Penguin

Bazooka_Penguin
3 years ago#7
Yea, it's pretty much the Baldios head except with the Roman centurion's hair fluff thing on top.

The sword and shield, and skirt are more roman things
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif

User Info: SonicSP

SonicSP
3 years ago#8
I assume they design it a certain way as part of branding, it's easier to associate with Gundam that way. Gundam itself is sort of a brand or symbol, even in-universe in some cases.
Crush 40 Rules!!!

User Info: YlFF

YlFF
3 years ago#9
Bazooka_Penguin posted...
Yea, it's pretty much the Baldios head except with the Roman centurion's hair fluff thing on top.

I was under impression that the main camera and side vents are styled like the traditional samurai hairdo:
http://themanesqueeze.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/japanese-samurai-chonmage1.jpg

Not sure about the protruding chin piece.

I'm curious what was the in-universe reason for designing the head like this on the original Gundam.
Things like V-fin and distinctly humanoid face serve no practical purpose and merely add aesthetics that would be omitted on the mass produced GMs. One of the main engineers must have been inspired by how powerful their new prototype unit turned out and went extra mile with the head design, perhaps to make it more presentable for higher ups. Otherwise it probably would have ended up with something close to Guncannon.

After Amuro's legendary RX-78-2 proved to be essential to winning OYW it's only natural the Gundam head would become a mainstay tradition for these one-of-a-kind (or limited production) units, likely to make it clear for enemies that it's a Gundam type and intimidate them this way. Seems that it's more of a symbol of power than specific trademark, EF wasn't the only faction who utilized Gundam types.

Other than Gundams the only MS that has purely aesthetical head with a face is Diona, and that's not even designed for combat.
zawa... zawa...
  1. Boards
  2. Anime and Manga - Gundam
  3. I've always wondered.. Why did they design the Gundams head like that?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived