This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why FMA 2003 is superior to Brotherhood *Spoilers for both series*

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Anime and Manga - Other Titles
  3. Why FMA 2003 is superior to Brotherhood *Spoilers for both series*

User Info: ikilledkenny2

ikilledkenny2
5 years ago#61
I dunno, I think a sad ending for FMA sorta ruins the theme of equivalent exchange, though. Ed and Al go on a very tough journey full of suffering and adversity, and in exchange for their hard work and suffering find happiness at the end. I think that's the theme Arakawa was going for.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/NarcolepticSloth
http://backloggery.com/NarcolepticSloth

User Info: RX0mega

RX0mega
5 years ago#62
ikilledkenny2 posted...
I dunno, I think a sad ending for FMA sorta ruins the theme of equivalent exchange, though. Ed and Al go on a very tough journey full of suffering and adversity, and in exchange for their hard work and suffering find happiness at the end. I think that's the theme Arakawa was going for.

But the ending for the series (if you take the movie as the ending) isn't sad They started their journey to recover their bodies. Or, more correctly, Ed wanted to get Als body back. They end the movie together again at long last, with what they set out for.

the rule was kept, it was an equivalent exchange, it was just a very bitter-sweet one. I wouldn't call it sad.
Official Piplup of the Pokemon White 2 board
My Gundam wallpaper Collection: http://imgur.com/a/h2Ag7

User Info: Moonmooer

Moonmooer
5 years ago#63
ikilledkenny2 posted...

Brotherhood is accurate to the manga. I'm not saying it didn't speed up a bit here and there, but Hughes was an extremely minor character in the manga and served only as character motivation for Mustang while a bit of the shock to the audience. Same goes with Nina to the Elric Brothers; she's in a grand total of one chapter. While Hughes' meets his end in episode 10 of Brotherhood, he meets it in chapter 16 of the manga. That's not a terribly huge difference. The reason Brotherhood seems rushed after seeing the beginning compared to FMA1 is because in the manga, that's 16 out of 100+ chapters. There is still a whole story left to develop the brothers. They aren't meant to have all sorts of development yet, the story is just getting started!

Hughes: a minor character whose death was constantly referenced by major characters throughout the work. If I had watched Brotherhood exclusively I would have gotten to episode 10 feeling nothing for this character that the rest of the cast won’t shut up about it. I vastly prefer the characterization from 2003.

The really stupid part of your post comes from where you try to compare it to the Unlimited Blade Works movie though where there literally is no beginning at all besides a couple of quick flashes and then you're thrown into the middle of the story with absolutely no way to know ANYTHING about ANYONE or what's going on without having seen F/SN anime/read the VN.

Don’t care. I ultimately obtained the same level of emotional resonance from watching the intro to UBW as I got from watching FMA Brotherhood’s ten episode skim-fest, which is to say, none. It’s a good thing my personal opinion is better than everyone else’s.

Honestly, one of the reasons that I prefer 2003 is that it ditches the concept of Equivalent Exchange. The protagonist is allowed to be wrong for a change, and as Dante picks his ideology apart by citing how unfair the world is, Ed is unable to offer a proper rebuttal. He's never able to explain to her why some people are born with more talent than others or why some are born poor, work hard in an attempt to claw their way up to sustainable living standard, and die penniless.

Metaphorically, this is also why Ed is able to bring Al back to life without offering an exchange of equivalent value, culminating in the end of Ed’s coming of age story. This just comes off as a far more realistic view of the world, in comparison to the heavily idealistic view expressed in Brotherhood. Mustang summarizes it perfectly: "The world isn't perfect, but that's why it's so damn beautiful." Brotherhood didn't offer that level of insight or catharsis; it was just entertaining.
Change, change the form of man. Free the might from fleshy mire. Boil the blood in heart of fire. Gone, gone the form of man. Rise the demon Etrigan!

User Info: RogueJedi86

RogueJedi86
5 years ago#64
Plus equivalent exchange means that for some people to have a happy ending, others must have a sad ending. So the fact that not everyone has a happy ending in FMA2003 actually fits with equivalent exchange even more.

It's probably a nitpick, but I liked the source of alchemy in FMA2003 more. FMA2003's alchemy source being the souls of those who died on Earth felt more like something that could reasonable power the constant amount of transmutations in the FMA-verse(given that people are constantly dying on our Earth in large amounts). FMAB's alchemy source being plate tectonics felt like it wouldn't be very sustainable unless certain areas of the world are having constant earthquakes to provide power. FMAB's alchemy source feels like it'd result in people being unable to use alchemy if earthquakes didn't happen for more than a week or more. Lord knows the show never shows earthquakes happening. I guess you could count plate tectonics outside earthquakes, but that seems like that'd produce very tiny amounts of energy(the tectonic plates move VERY slowly) compared to earthquakes.
"Every single Jedi, including your friend Obi-Wan, is now an enemy of the Republic. Do what must be done. Do not hesitate. Show no mercy."

User Info: ikilledkenny2

ikilledkenny2
5 years ago#65
Moonmooer posted...

Don’t care. I ultimately obtained the same level of emotional resonance from watching the intro to UBW as I got from watching FMA Brotherhood’s ten episode skim-fest, which is to say, none. It’s a good thing my personal opinion is better than everyone else’s.

I never said anything about your emotional response, I couldn't care less about it to be quite honest. I was stating the fact that comparing the two doesn't make any sense because UBW movie has absolutely no semblance of introduction or setup while Brotherhood explained everything it needed to even if you felt it went too fast (aka the same speed as the manga.)

As for Hughes he's a minor character who gets brought up a lot because he's Mustang's motivation. As I said, manga Hughes only served to be a motivation to kick start all Mustang related subplots.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/NarcolepticSloth
http://backloggery.com/NarcolepticSloth

User Info: aak57

aak57
5 years ago#66
I found the short jokes in 03 to be very grating after a while. It's like people referencing the Rick James quote from Chappelle's show; funny the first couple times, but after that just shut up about it.

Also, 03 Al was one of the most annoying characters I've ever seen, 2nd only to young Gohan of DBZ. In particular, the whining about whether Ed simply created him or not was so over goddamned dramatic I wanted to find a way to strangle him. He never graduated from being an annoying little twit, whereas I actually loved him in Brotherhood because he grew a pair.

Quite frankly, I feel that 03 Alchemist was basically Ruri Gokou's type of anime, and Brotherhood was more middleground.
PSN/Steam: a_ak57
http://i.imgur.com/OtkHL.png

User Info: halfdemon

halfdemon
5 years ago#67
*Spoilers*

I like the way Hughes's death was treated in the manga/Brotherhood over the 2003 anime. It was sadder in the 2003 version, but it had more of an impact in the manga/Brotherhood. In the 2003 anime it is largely forgotten about and Ed and Al don't learn about it for a very long time. When they do Ed whines and angst and blames Mustang.

I prefer how Ed and Al treat Hughes's death in the manga/Brotherhood. It really shakes them up and they become really depressed. Ed blames himself and almost gives up his journey because of it. Not wanting anyone else to die. His confronts Hughes's wife about it and she helps him overcome his doubt. Hughes's death was treated with more maturity in the manga/Brotherhood.
Warioware D.I.Y friend code: 3095 1784 6660

User Info: Fenix Twilight

Fenix Twilight
5 years ago#68
Agreed with the two posts above me.

Al was annoying in 03, whereas he was useful in Brotherhood. And Hughes death was eventually forgotten about as opposed to being one of Mustang's main motivations.

I'll take generic shonen over angst any day.
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/8439/garrodtifa1.gif

User Info: Moonmooer

Moonmooer
5 years ago#69
halfdemon posted...
*Spoilers*

I like the way Hughes's death was treated in the manga/Brotherhood over the 2003 anime. It was sadder in the 2003 version, but it had more of an impact. In the 2003 anime it is largely forgotten about and Ed and Al don't learn about it for a very long time. When they do Ed whines and angst and blames Mustang.

I prefer how Ed and Al treat Hughes's death in the manga/Brotherhood. It really shakes them up and they become really depressed. Ed blames himself and almost gives up his journey because of it. Not wanting anyone else to die. His confronts Hughes's wife about it and she helps him overcome his doubt. Hughes's death was treated with more maturity in the manga/Brotherhood.

You know you can now use spoiler tags by replacing the tag in <tag>spoiler</tag> with spoiler, right? Anyway, in the 2003 anime, Roy sacrificed everything, including his bid for statesmanship, in order to get revenge for the death of Hughes. I'd hardly say that it was forgotten. I'm actually split on which handling I prefer, but I do like how 2003 forced a main character to make a value judgement, which is something that Brotherhood never confronted its characters with. The morals and decisions were too black and white. The goodies were good, the baddies were bad, and there was no ambiguity to be found.
Change, change the form of man. Free the might from fleshy mire. Boil the blood in heart of fire. Gone, gone the form of man. Rise the demon Etrigan!

User Info: GeeEffAyeKews

GeeEffAyeKews
5 years ago#70
Moonmooer posted...
halfdemon posted...
*Spoilers*

I like the way Hughes's death was treated in the manga/Brotherhood over the 2003 anime. It was sadder in the 2003 version, but it had more of an impact. In the 2003 anime it is largely forgotten about and Ed and Al don't learn about it for a very long time. When they do Ed whines and angst and blames Mustang.

You know you can now use spoiler tags by replacing the tag in <tag>spoiler</tag> with spoiler, right? Anyway, in the 2003 anime, Roy sacrificed everything, including his bid for statesmanship, in order to get revenge for the death of Hughes. I'd hardly say that it was forgotten. I'm actually split on which handling I prefer, but I do like how 2003 forced a main character to make a value judgement, which is something that Brotherhood never confronted its characters with. The morals and decisions were too black and white. The goodies were good, the baddies were bad, and there was no ambiguity to be found.

Agreed. I preferred that it was Mustang who killed Winry's parents instead of Scar. One is a terrible action by a good man (again back to the realism factor, things like that happen in war all the time) whereas the other is a baddy being bad. Also thought Scar's fate was much better in 2003.
Roy Mustang is my husbando.
http://i.imgur.com/GNqjq.jpg
  1. Boards
  2. Anime and Manga - Other Titles
  3. Why FMA 2003 is superior to Brotherhood *Spoilers for both series*

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived