This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What exactly is the difference between chan and kun?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Anime and Manga - Other Titles
  3. What exactly is the difference between chan and kun?

User Info: saspa

saspa
4 months ago#1
They seem similar.
http://i.imgur.com/0UFI0T9.jpg

User Info: SSJKirby

SSJKirby
4 months ago#2
Why are you asking us instead of the Current Events board? they know better
Not changing this signature until Beyond Good and Evil 2 is in my hand.
August 25th, 2010.

User Info: Knighted Dragon

Knighted Dragon
4 months ago#3
Chan is more cutsey and endearing and kun is more respectful and used for close friends or your kohai.

Basically, san is just the general formal one

Kun is less formal and what you'd use for your close friends and for people of a lower status than you (like a teacher would call a male student -kun)

Chan is what you'd call a cute child or a girl you like, and is the least formal and most insulting if you called a grown man -chan in most situations
Proverbs 3:5 & Galatians 2:20 & John 14:6
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg

User Info: red255

red255
4 months ago#4
poor jackie.
If the next one is called, because of his MO, the underwear bomber, you'll know I'm on to something. Calvin Trillin June 16, 2006.

User Info: ToiletPaperKun

ToiletPaperKun
4 months ago#5
Knighted Dragon posted...
Chan is more cutsey and endearing and kun is more respectful and used for close friends or your kohai.

Kun is less formal and what you'd use for your close friends and for people of a lower status than you (like a teacher would call a male student -kun)

Chan is what you'd call a cute child or a girl you like, and is the least formal and most insulting if you called a grown man -chan in most situations

User Info: Unite

Unite
4 months ago#6
Kun usually used for boys but their is exceptions can be used for girls too.

Chan usually for girls but their is also exceptions can be used for boys too

User Info: dillpickle69

dillpickle69
4 months ago#7
red255 posted...
poor jackie.
It really unacceptable how garbage messaging is on PS4. 10 minutes for a message to pop up? Hold on, let me go start sending smoke signals.
-white_thief

User Info: pablofreak88

pablofreak88
4 months ago#8
ToiletPaperKun posted...
Knighted Dragon posted...

Wow I didnt knew that.
red255 posted...
poor jackie.

And I was going to say he could seem cute because of his last name.
I'm beginning to think I've got rotten luck with women.
Playing: Sniper Elite 3

User Info: Knighted Dragon

Knighted Dragon
4 months ago#9
pablofreak88 posted...

Wow I didnt knew that.

Chan is essentially baby talk for San. You can use it for adults in some scenario, but it's generally not applicable. Like the Japanese call Arnold Schwarzenegger by the name Shuwa-chan as a kind of joke, but it's usually more for cutesy situations.

It's hard to think of an English equivelant, but it would be like the name Nicholas

In a formal situation, you'd say Nicholas

You might call your best friend Nick though

And you might call a cute baby Nicky or Nick Jr. or some kind of baby talk.

But you wouldn't go up to the CEO of your company and call them Nick Jr. and calling a grown man who goes by Nick or Nicholas something like Nicky is going to be insulting
Proverbs 3:5 & Galatians 2:20 & John 14:6
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg

User Info: Edgeknight

Edgeknight
4 months ago#10
Unite posted...
Kun usually used for boys but their is exceptions can be used for girls too.

Chan usually for girls but their is also exceptions can be used for boys too

This is a p. entry level observation that doesn't actually hold up. Teachers for example call everyone kun and so would a boss talking to their employees. There's a degree of familiarity in it, moreso than san, but still keeps a respectful distance.

As mentioned chan is just cutesy talk so it often gets used for any and all brats but it's kept alive somewhat by people referring to each other in childish-cutesy ways (which is less embarrassing culturally for girls than boys so you see it with girls more often).
"I'm not a newbie it's just that I only registered a few days ago." -matchulinch
  1. Boards
  2. Anime and Manga - Other Titles
  3. What exactly is the difference between chan and kun?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived