This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

*** New York Mets Topic CCXLIII: Boy the Mets blew it tonight, huh? **

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Sports and Racing - General
  3. *** New York Mets Topic CCXLIII: Boy the Mets blew it tonight, huh? **

User Info: kbusch22

kbusch22
5 months ago#1
Most depressingly accurate Seinfeld quote yet.

kbusch22
5 months ago#2
f*** Sandy for not calling up Rosario. We're at -21 DRS this year and -8 of that has come from Cabrera. They can argue his offense isn't ready until they're blue in the face but there is no denying he has far greater range than Cabrera who has totally killed us.

The Super 2 deadline has most likely passed. The team is bleeding. Nobody expects Rosario to be a savior but jesus, he's clearly an improvement over what we have now.

I guarantee they view Rosario's debut as a marketing opportunity more than whether or not he'd make the team better today. Just look at the schedule now. Cubs series? Nope, that'll still draw well. Nats series? Nah, probably had a good pre-sale from before the season started. No chance he debuts on the road. Probably not the weekend Phillies or Rockies series either, the latter of which includes the always popular fireworks night.

So I'll lock it in right now: Monday, July 17th against the Cardinals to kick off a four game homestand as they start to break the rest of the team down around him.

User Info: Piazza

Piazza
5 months ago#3
If you seriously don't see the direct causation between our starting pitchers not going deep into games and our horrible bullpen, then you don't know baseball.

Is Harvey the reason we lost? Hell no. But to say "you can't ask more out of Harvey" when he pitches 5 innings against a bad baseball team is just patently untrue. Guess what? If he pitches 7 innings then Paul f***ing Sewald never comes into the game to begin with folks.

The team is bad because our pitching, like Matt Harvey, is bad. The fact that we suddenly act like 5 innings is a good outing is a disgrace. It's not. It's passing the buck to the bullpen.
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. ~ Rogers Hornsby

kbusch22
5 months ago#4
Would've been a 9 pitch first inning for Gsellman. Instead Cabrera commits TWO f***ing errors on routine plays and Gsellman has to go over 25 pitches to finish the inning when we need him to go deep.

But nope, Rosario wouldn't help at all. What a f***ing joke.

kbusch22
5 months ago#5
Anyway, as for the pitching. We were put into a situation this year where injury/regression to more than one or two of the starters was going to f*** us horribly based on the moves made the last two years.

John Gant and Robert Whalen (Uribe/KJ)
Casey Meisner (Clippard)
Michael Fulmer and Luis Cessa (Cespedes)
Matt Koch and Miller Diaz (Reed)
Matt Bowman (Rule 5 Draft)
Max Wotell (Bruce)
Logan Verrett and Gabriel Ynoa (Traded to O's for cash)

Not saying these were all bad moves obviously - all of the 2015 trades were totally justifiable and brought us guys who really helped us win a pennant which is the real goal.

Fulmer's the only one to really pan out so far but that's still 11 starting pitchers discarded in a two year span, many of whom were at AA/AAA level when they got moved. When you clear out that kind of depth in the upper levels of the minors, you're going to need to wait a year or two to replenish. No wonder we're stuck trotting guys like Tyler Pill out there.

Still cannot understand dumping Verrett and Ynoa. Not that they're great but jesus christ they clearly brought more to the table than Montero.

User Info: InnerTubeHero

InnerTubeHero
5 months ago#6
Bruce!

About time they broke through.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die." ~ Mel Brooks

User Info: oarphishmoe

oarphishmoe
5 months ago#7
Piazza posted...
If you seriously don't see the direct causation between our starting pitchers not going deep into games and our horrible bullpen, then you don't know baseball.

Is Harvey the reason we lost? Hell no. But to say "you can't ask more out of Harvey" when he pitches 5 innings against a bad baseball team is just patently untrue. Guess what? If he pitches 7 innings then Paul f***ing Sewald never comes into the game to begin with folks.

The team is bad because our pitching, like Matt Harvey, is bad. The fact that we suddenly act like 5 innings is a good outing is a disgrace. It's not. It's passing the buck to the bullpen.

So what do we do? Have Harvey go 7 innings while throwing 130 pitches just so we don't get the the BP? I mean maybe he goes another 2 scoreless innings (though unlikely) but we know he isn't the starter he used to be. This isn't the Harvey from a couple years ago so stop pretending like it is. Obviously everybody wishes he could go more innings but like I said, they're not going to have him throw 120+ pitches just for the sake of it.

Also, it's not like they have another guy to start in Harvey's place. I think we all hope he goes to the BP where he can be solid for a couple innings while guys like Matz and Lugo take over. But then again, maybe he figures s*** out, it's unlikely, but who knows.
New York Mets | Syracuse Orange Basketball | Miami Dolphins | Miami Hurricanes Football
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/117/142/83d.gif

kbusch22
5 months ago#8
Really great start by Matz tonight.

User Info: DW4fReAk31

DW4fReAk31
5 months ago#9
I am shocked we won both games
PSN: BloodOps
"In my book, experience outranks everything."

User Info: ad_absurdum

ad_absurdum
5 months ago#10
Why would you call up Rosario now? Our window has passed. Just keep him in the minors until this time next year and maybe he'll still be on the team the next time we're good again.
Sad!
"Kevin Keatts is a winner." - Kevin Keatts
  1. Boards
  2. Sports and Racing - General
  3. *** New York Mets Topic CCXLIII: Boy the Mets blew it tonight, huh? **

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived