This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Was 2008 greatest year for sports?

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Sports and Racing - General
  3. Was 2008 greatest year for sports?

User Info: bvillebro

bvillebro
5 days ago#1
New York Giants pull greatest upset possibly of any team sport in the modern era at the time, ending The Patriots potential perfect season with a back to back Manning Superbowl win

Wimbledon taken by Nadal in greatest tennis finals match and Nadals first title, in a game that changed rules and the scope of how tennis is played and potentially introduced a new younger audience to the scene

Celtics eventual run for reclaiming their glory, also first three fourths of Pittsburgh Steelers return to titletown. Two storied franchises return to sanity champions

Red wings wins the first US vs US stanley cup in 5 years, and the Phillies win the ring after having not made it in 15 years, bringing Philly their first title in many a fans days as a viewer

LSU becomes first time ever BCS x2 champion, Wladimir Klitschko unifies the belts and Manny fights De La Hoya. And Trevor Immelman takes his first Major, in the Masters of all tournies.

Plus, the Olympics in Beijing and all that came with it, perhaps the greatest Olympics of many of our lives as an experience (which is somewhat tainted by doping)

If this is not the greatest overall year iyo, what is? And why?
Learning something new everyday
(edited 5 days ago)
In a year where the spurs didn't win lol
haha im a kid and you cant do a thing about it...

User Info: MarkIngramTD

MarkIngramTD
5 days ago#3
lol
made for your viewing pleasure.

User Info: Metal_DK

Metal_DK
5 days ago#4
I think the 07/08/09 period will forever be magnified because it was the beginnings of modern era social media (facebook opens to general public, youtube takeoff, smartphones, twitter, etc). The only thing about 2008 that generally was great was the Olympics mostly due to Phelps and Bolt's performance (and redeem team). But also the 08 Olympics was the first one I remember people just watching streams of at 3am and what not, so its a lot of that too.

Summary: 07/08/09 was when the internet centralized to a few locations (for better or for worse), and that created a much larger atmosphere of hype. The 08 year in particular wasn't anything amazing outside of the Olympics and back to back two very entertaining super bowls
Casual Revolution 2007 - 2016

User Info: bvillebro

bvillebro
5 days ago#5
bradmarchandfan posted...
In a year where the spurs didn't win lol

hey its easy to get those sports that have crossover year seasons confused. As mentioned above, 07/08/09 blended into each other quite fluidly
Learning something new everyday

User Info: GAMER_BOI_

GAMER_BOI_
4 days ago#6
I feel like college sports were at their best around 2007 and have gotten progressively less interesting since. The one and dones killed college bball, and amateur football players making 100% the right move by prioritizing themselves over the schools have made college football into a bit of a sham. I can't defend the addition of a playoff and all the goddamn bowls (there's like 15 too many nowadays). College football teams should not be playing 13-14 games in a season; 12 or less should really be the cap in terms of wear and tear on amateur bodies. Plus they should be getting paid.

Pro sports get better with each passing year, and I think 2016 has a case for most exciting pro sports year ever.
#Trump2016 | Squads: Orlando Magic & Philadelphia Eagles
our differences differ and that makes us the same #UNITY #PEACE

User Info: Slacking

Slacking
4 days ago#7
GAMER_BOI_ posted...
I can't defend the addition of a playoff

???????
This sig will not change until the Vancouver Canucks win the Stanley Cup
Started: 15/10/2005

User Info: ShadowMan033

ShadowMan033
4 days ago#8
Technically we did win the national championship in 2008, but when I think of our football team in 2008, I always remember what a disastrous year it was.

2008 sort of brought about a rebirth and revitalization of our baseball program under PM so I'll remember it favorably there.

The mid 2000s to the turn of the new decade was great for me personally. From 06-11 I was riding high. Every one of my teams were great excluding the Braves. 12-present have been some lean years.
LSU Tigers Baseball - 2017 SEC Champions

User Info: theaub

theaub
4 days ago#9
Nope
Blue Jays l Blackhawks l Auburn l Canada NT l Raptors l Toronto FC

User Info: GAMER_BOI_

GAMER_BOI_
4 days ago#10
Slacking posted...
GAMER_BOI_ posted...
I can't defend the addition of a playoff

???????

It's great for profits and fans, but it's ethically irresponsible.

Also getting older has decreased my interest in college sports because all I see is dumb kids playing the sport.
#Trump2016 | Squads: Orlando Magic & Philadelphia Eagles
our differences differ and that makes us the same #UNITY #PEACE
  1. Boards
  2. Sports and Racing - General
  3. Was 2008 greatest year for sports?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.