This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

We all owe the Astros an apology

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Sports and Racing - General
  3. We all owe the Astros an apology

User Info: Block that Kick

Block that Kick
4 months ago#1
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/2000205-sports-and-racing-general?search=astros

Look at us. We were s***ting on the Astros for a good four years at least.

And I understand, and I was guilty of it as well. We were treating the Astros like we would the Browns or 76ers, where we were told they have a plan but it never comes into fruition and they wander in sports purgatory for years and years at a time. Some thought they were taking advantage of the league's revenue sharing and were intentionally s***ty for that reason.

We were wrong...very wrong. They had a plan, and they knew what they were doing.

Let's look at who they drafted since 2011.

2011: George Springer
2012: Carlos Crorrea
2013: Mark Appel (traded for Ken Giles, who is their closer while Appel has yet to make his MLB debut)
2014: Brady Aiken (didn't sign)
2015: Alex Bregman, who is already part of their lineup.

Other great draft selections was Lance McCullers Jr,

And let's no forget Jose Altuve, who made his debut in 2011 and is the only player remaining from those s*** teams. of the past.

Also keep in mind that they made some damn good trades and FA signings, like getting Mike Fiers, Josh Reddick and Marwin Gonzalez.

As I have seen this team grow, it's obvious that there are very few holes in the lineup and the rotation. Hell, they have won 62 games and by the time their ace Dallas Kuekel (ERA of 1.67 and another Astros draftee) is back, he will have been out of the rotation for over two months.

But as I was saying, a lot of bad teams say they have a plan, so I can't blame us when we scoff at that s*** from time to time. But holy s***, Houston proved us wrong.
The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off.

User Info: Myst2

Myst2
4 months ago#2
unfortunate
dabest

User Info: HurricaneManning

HurricaneManning
4 months ago#3
I'm guilty of calling them the AAAstros or the Lastros

I had a good friend live in Houston for a few years and despite being a White Sox fan first him and his wife went to a lot of Astros games and became fans. They moved to LA now but are still fans I guess.

I probably shouldn't have s*** talked because the Cubs tanked and hoarded talent and did basically the exact same thing to get good so to speak.
Chicago Cubs - 2016 World Series Champions
It is 2017 and Phil Kessel is a two time Stanley Cup Champion

User Info: kb_57

kb_57
4 months ago#4
They don't get f***in nothin til they bring back the Hill
You'll find me in a sea of dreams...

User Info: eclecticgift

eclecticgift
4 months ago#5
The Caps, Nats and Wizards also underwent a rebuild in the past. During the rebuild the Nats and Caps were especially atrocious so this means that the NL East is gonna be a force to be reckoned with in a few yrs. #TrustTheProcess
Redskins | Nationals | Wizards | Capitals | United

User Info: theaub

theaub
4 months ago#6
One of the best teams in recent baseball history and they have like...three sellouts all year?

Never underestimate how much straight tanking kills your fanbase.
Blue Jays l Blackhawks l Auburn l Canada NT l Raptors l Toronto FC

User Info: WingerSupreme

WingerSupreme
4 months ago#7
theaub posted...
One of the best teams in recent baseball history and they have like...three sellouts all year?

This.

Also they took a huge risk, and that doesn't always pay off. Tampa did the same thing, and what did it get them? One World Series appearance (in a year where they finished 26th in attendance) and three ALDS losses. At least Tampa had the excuse of being an expansion team during the first part of their tank.

If Mark Appel blows his arm six months earlier, he's just another wasted pick instead of getting them Ken Giles. Brady Aiken (#1 pick in 2014) never signed.

I give them credit for hitting on Correa (#1), Bregman (#2) and Springer (#11) but let's not act like tanking was anything but a money-making situation.

This guy makes a lot of good points, too:

https://houseofhouston.com/2017/06/12/houston-astros-tanking-isnt-reason-astros-good/

They tanked then and they're good now, but most of their team is not good BECAUSE of the tank. With how much of a crapshoot MLB draft and prospects are, this should not be a surprise
Toronto Raptors: Bronze medalists!
Toronto Blue Jays: Deeper sigh

User Info: ShadowMan033

ShadowMan033
4 months ago#8
I'm going to an Astros game in September. That'd be wild if they won the World Series. I will have seen the eventual world champs in back to back years on my LSU football trips.

Bodes well for the 2018 Texas Rangers <___<
LSU Tigers Baseball - 2017 SEC Champions

User Info: GAMER_BOI_

GAMER_BOI_
4 months ago#9
theaub posted...

totally random annecdote, but on my recent trip out to NV, I saw like 5 separate people at the Vegas airport wearing Astros gear, so they must have bandwagon supporters outside their market or something.
#Trump2016 | Squads: Orlando Magic & Philadelphia Eagles
our differences differ and that makes us the same #UNITY #PEACE

User Info: Russian Rocket

Russian Rocket
4 months ago#10
Block that Kick posted...

And let's no forget Jose Altuve, who made his debut in 2011 and is the only player remaining from those s*** teams. of the past.

Not quite......2/5ths of their 111 loss team's starting rotation is still intact, and are 16-1 this year! Keuchel and Brad Peac***.
  1. Boards
  2. Sports and Racing - General
  3. We all owe the Astros an apology

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived