This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

SATA II vs SATA III for SSD

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC - Hardware Discussion
  3. SATA II vs SATA III for SSD

User Info: Pako Pako

Pako Pako
3 years ago#1
My laptop has a SATA II port, so should I still pay attention to all the IOPS and random-write stats that modern SATA III SSDs have? I've been looking mainly at lower power use, failure rates, and warranty lengths. Most of the drives I come up with are "low end" SSDs from 2011 using old Sandforce controllers. Is there a benefit to using the slightly more expensive modern drives like the Samsung 840 EVO, Seagate 600, or the like?
-=PakoPako=- (Proud member of board 917023!)
"This was brought to you by FRUNGY, the Sport of Kings!"

User Info: raichudl

raichudl
3 years ago#2
Any SATA device can work.
Shut up and bag yourselves!!! -Cody Rhodes

Pako Pako
3 years ago#3
Hm. I wasn't clear enough then.

How do I deal with stats for a SATA III drive when I have a SATA II slot? Do I just cut everything by 33% (6 GBps vs 3 GBps), 50%, or ignore the stats because it doesn't work like that?

User Info: Lonestar2000

Lonestar2000
3 years ago#4
It is better to pay more for a reliable drive. Intel is the most reliable. Crucial, Samsung, Seagate and Plextor are also good.
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335

Pako Pako
3 years ago#5
Lonestar2000 posted...
It is better to pay more for a reliable drive. Intel is the most reliable. Crucial, Samsung, Seagate and Plextor are also good.

I suppose. But since this is going to be for a laptop, I would prefer the most power-efficient one so it won't drain the battery so much.

I'll probably lean toward Intel; their previous models have all had the lowest power-use (half that of Samsung's), offer a long warranty, and are usually about as affordable. (I also wasn't aware Plextor made SSDs, and they even support AES-256 encryption.)

I'm still a bit worried about older drives (since I'll be looking at pre-2013 models for affordability) -- I have read a lot of issues with the 2011-2012 Sandforce-controlled SSDs (Corsair had a massive recall) which really makes me paranoid, especially since I now hold a "dead" SSD. (I can write to it, but as soon as the system powers off, the drive wipes itself.)
  1. Boards
  2. PC - Hardware Discussion
  3. SATA II vs SATA III for SSD

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived