Was the writer of Avengers Arena just unfamiliar with Arcade?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Comics and Graphic Novels
  3. Was the writer of Avengers Arena just unfamiliar with Arcade?

User Info: Degalon

Degalon
7 months ago#1
The entire plot was based on Arcade getting "Sick of being seen as a joke".

but...since when has that ever bothered him? He's never been TRYING to be a great villain. He's literally just a bored rich guy doing the whole "assassin" thing for fun. That's why he EXPLICITLY AND INTENTIONALLY makes sure there's always a way the heroes can win, or its no fun for him. The guy could easily just slaughter everyone, he kidnaps literally anyone with zero effort whatsoever, and in Deadpool kills MU DP Just forced him to put the x-men in a Murderworld that he DIDNT design with a way out. They all died.

It's been stated that the million dollars he charges per job doesn't even BEGIN to cover the cost of actually building a Murderworld and all the other operations involved. He's just one of the richest men on earth alreadyand the price tag is purely for show.

So the entire Avengers Arena just comes across as really really out of character for Arcade. If he actually cared about not being seen as a joke then all he would have done is not INTENTIONALLY give his victims a chance in Murderworld.

Although all the failures does raise the question of who keeps hiring him....i'm guessing he kills plenty of normal people with them as an assassin and going after supers is just for fun.
GT/PSN: DEGALON
Official Fuu of the Naruto Storm 3 Boards

User Info: The RazorsEdge

The RazorsEdge
7 months ago#2
It's inevitable. Any light-hearted villain whose gimmick is fun and games will eventually be turned edgy.

There's pedophile and serial killer who only targets children versions of the f***ing Toyman for god's sake. Sometimes Riddler is Jigsaw now.

Though when a writer does it to Arcade, yeah, their excuse in interviews is almost always "He's an assassin though. Why would anyone hire him if he never gets results?"
Professor X: "Where are you taking me?"
Mr. Sinister: "To the one true enemy of the great Charles Xavier...Stairs."

User Info: Degalon

Degalon
7 months ago#3
The RazorsEdge posted...
It's inevitable. Any light-hearted villain whose gimmick is fun and games will eventually be turned edgy.

There's pedophile and serial killer who only targets children versions of the f***ing Toyman for god's sake. Sometimes Riddler is Jigsaw now.

Though when a writer does it to Arcade, yeah, their excuse in interviews is almost always "He's an assassin though. Why would anyone hire him if he never gets results?"

Yeah like i said, i can see him getting plenty of results when doing hits on regular people.
GT/PSN: DEGALON
Official Fuu of the Naruto Storm 3 Boards

User Info: zzeennoolloo

zzeennoolloo
7 months ago#4
The RazorsEdge posted...

There is a pedo / serial killer version of Toy Man??? The f***? Is that a New 52 thing? I don't remember that being Post-Crisis.... but then again, I've only read a few Toy Man appearances, so maybe that was sometime Post-Crisis???? I can't see that being a Silver Age thing or Golden Age thing.
Creator of the most talked about 500 post topic on the Wii U board, the most populated board on Gamefaqs. http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/72708411

User Info: The RazorsEdge

The RazorsEdge
7 months ago#5
zzeennoolloo posted...
There is a pedo / serial killer version of Toy Man??? The f***? Is that a New 52 thing?

Multiple seperate ones. Post-Crisis/Pre-Flashpoint.

Although one of them was in the Superman: Doomsday animated film.
Professor X: "Where are you taking me?"
Mr. Sinister: "To the one true enemy of the great Charles Xavier...Stairs."

User Info: Melkac

Melkac
7 months ago#6
Because creating a brand new character is haaaard.
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Melkaticox

User Info: creativerealms

creativerealms
7 months ago#7
As far as I remember 90s Toyman wasn't pedo he just had mommy issues, hated new toys and kid napped kids to keep his childhood alive. Yeah dark and edgy.
when you stub your toes it's the SJWs fualt.

User Info: creativerealms

creativerealms
7 months ago#8
Now Arcade I get he's a bored rich kid who does these elaborate death traps for fun but as a hired killer the people hiring him would want results, plus if he used his own money for said traps he would go broke quickly. Maybe he has successful kills on the side but again a reputation who will hire him to kill heroes if he never succeedes. Maybe he should just be a villain for fun and nix the whole hired killer thing. That never made sense for Arcade.
when you stub your toes it's the SJWs fualt.

User Info: PrivateBiscuit1

PrivateBiscuit1
7 months ago#9
You're trying to apply a lot of sense to a Hopeless book. The only thing I have ever enjoyed from him is Cable & The X-Force.

In terms of this book, it's just means spirited. It's charged by being mean spirited. You have all of these beloved characters people are clamoring to be back in a book and then the very first issue, one of them dies. And they promise more will die. Why do you want to read a book where characters that were forgotten but loved will be killed? That's just f***ing mean spirited.
Check out my entertainment blog!: www.heroicbiz.com
I discuss video games, comics, movies, and TV!

User Info: Kaihedgie

Kaihedgie
7 months ago#10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jii2bbhqDh8

I had to
"Oh hey look, it's Vegeta, the son of Trunks."
PSN and Nintendo Network: Kaihedgie
  1. Boards
  2. Comics and Graphic Novels
  3. Was the writer of Avengers Arena just unfamiliar with Arcade?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived