Shouldn't we be at a point where we'd get a superhero movie deconstruction?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Comics and Graphic Novels
  3. Shouldn't we be at a point where we'd get a superhero movie deconstruction?

User Info: ScrappyDingo

ScrappyDingo
1 month ago#31
I still want a Sentry movie. He's the original MCU hero, but in the end he realizes he himself is the villain he's been fighting and chasing after the entire time. And it ends with him being forgotten by all.

Would be depressing but it'd sure as hell be different.
http://photobucket.com/SDClaims
Cancer free 40 months and counting!

User Info: BB mofo

BB mofo
1 month ago#32
The biggest fault with Watchmen is that it came out too early.

Had they released it now, when audiences are familiar with all the superhero cliches thanks to the MCU, it would have been much better received.
"But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?"
-Mark Twain

User Info: ScrappyDingo

ScrappyDingo
1 month ago#33
BB mofo posted...

Had they released it now, when audiences are familiar with all the superhero cliches thanks to the MCU, it would have been much better received.

Like the DCEU?

It'd just be another "Meh, this isn't how Marvel does things" type, like the Fox X-Men and DCEU.
http://photobucket.com/SDClaims
Cancer free 40 months and counting!

User Info: Melkac

Melkac
1 month ago#34
BB mofo posted...

>this is what watchmenfriends actually believe

I don't understand why you guys do this to yourselves. If anything it would do worse, being a Snyder movie.
Back then he wasn't as infamous as he is now.
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Melkaticox

User Info: colliding

colliding
1 month ago#35
Isn't this what "Super" is, with Rainn Wilson? I don't know, I've never actually watched it. It always pops up as recommended on Netflix, but I never watch it.

User Info: Wario_man

Wario_man
1 month ago#36
ScrappyDingo posted...
BB mofo posted...

Like the DCEU?

It'd just be another "Meh, this isn't how Marvel does things" type, like the Fox X-Men and DCEU.

Watchmen did what it tried to do really well. The tone was actually captured pretty well and suited the original narrative which is why the DCEU is failing because it’s trying to put that tone onto something that it doesn’t fit with purely because the company sees the same guy with the same company doing superheroes so everything should be the same.
http://imgur.com/Ymr1psq.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ytj88ZE.jpg

User Info: Dionysus

Dionysus
1 month ago#37
colliding posted...
Isn't this what "Super" is, with Rainn Wilson? I don't know, I've never actually watched it. It always pops up as recommended on Netflix, but I never watch it.

It's good. You should try it. It's sort of like Kick-Ass but the humor is more serious and subtle.

And honestly, I don't know what people even mean when they say that the Watchmen comic was a deconstruction. I'm familiar with deconstructionist analysis in philosophy and literature, but the Watchmen isn't an analysis, it's just a very good comic. Maybe they mean that it is unique because you could actually subject it to an interesting deconstructionist analysis, as opposed to most super-hero comics.

User Info: The RazorsEdge

The RazorsEdge
1 month ago#38
People call Watchmen a deconstruction because the work itself is a cynical commentary on what vigilantes and supermen would be like if they were real...Moore's position being "it would take a sociopath, fetishist, or egomaniac to put on a costume and fight crime outside of the legal system, and if you were as powerful as a god, you'd become detached from the rest of humanity and driven to nihilism"

That take on the subject was rare at the time, as opposed to now, where it's so common we don't even see it as a subversion of tropes anymore, we just see it as another kind of superhero story.
Professor X: "Where are you taking me?"
Mr. Sinister: "To the one true enemy of the great Charles Xavier...Stairs."

User Info: BadDecisions

BadDecisions
1 month ago#39
colliding posted...

Watch it, man.

User Info: Antiyonder

Antiyonder
1 month ago#40
Wario_man posted...
ScrappyDingo posted...
BB mofo posted...

Like the DCEU?

Watchmen did what it tried to do really well. The tone was actually captured pretty well and suited the original narrative which is why the DCEU is failing because it’s trying to put that tone onto something that it doesn’t fit with purely because the company sees the same guy with the same company doing superheroes so everything should be the same.

Case in point, we're arguably suppose to view Batman and Superman from BvS in a respectable light, whereas Moore is surprised that people actually like Rorschach.
  1. Boards
  2. Comics and Graphic Novels
  3. Shouldn't we be at a point where we'd get a superhero movie deconstruction?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived