Why is this game so badly designed for solo play?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Destiny 2
  3. Why is this game so badly designed for solo play?

User Info: Nex9000

Nex9000
2 months ago#1
While i'm sure the game is fun if you play with friends, it kind of sucks playing alone.

Because of the poorly designed reward systems, people seem more interested in completing reward achievements than actually winning.

Half the people in PVP are just messing around trying to do specific things for rewards (e.g. waiting a minute by power ammo) instead of actually playing.
And thats when you actually get a fair fight.
The other half of the time, you get 4 randoms against a full team. Where the outcome is usually pretty obvious.

Half or more of the global events have absolutely no one at them. I'll go down to a planet. do one event with 5 people. Then run/port to the nearest one and over half the time have to do it solo.

And the leveling system is just needlessly grindy. Spam the same 4 or 5 global events over and over and over and over and over again. I don't understand why they couldn't have come up with unique events for each planet, instead of copy-pasting the same "blow up walkers" or "kill miners" events. Or provided more ways to level up light that are equally efficient (e.g. doing quests).

The story is marginally better than the first destiny with some good characters.
But overall, i don't get why so many people are so hyped about this game.

For the second version of a game, the design choices seem seriously flawed.

User Info: Eagleeyejack

Eagleeyejack
2 months ago#2
Because it is designed for co-op play............You are trying to order steak at a vegan restaurant.
Feel free to Private message me if you want to speak to me.

User Info: Element_Pearl

Element_Pearl
2 months ago#3
The only times I've been in a fireteam have been for the 2 nightfalls I've done and a couple strikes. I've spent 99% of my time in this game solo and I just hit 288 light this evening.
Official Holy Dragon Nall of the First Generation.

User Info: doki-doki-panic

doki-doki-panic
2 months ago#4
Solo play is delicious. I love going into crucible as a solo and seeing 4 people on the same clan just lose to me and 3 randoms with no communication. It makes their pillows wet at night due to all the tears. And the best part is there's nothing they can do about it but take it.

User Info: ApexMjolnir

ApexMjolnir
2 months ago#5
If you ignore the "RAID IS THE REASON TO PLAY" mentality of the millennials, you will find that there is MORE than enough to do.

Strikes, are basically a Solo thing, that you just happen to be soloing with 2 other people. If you look at it as a team effort, you are looking for trouble.

Everything else in the game is just a grind until you can tackle everything else on your own.

I spent the majority of Destiny 1 just playing solo, and doing strikes. Nightfalls solo are probably the best part of the game, and one of the reasons that I look forward to the weekly resets, ever since Destiny 1.

The stuff that sucks, is that Crucible is fireteam biased, and the Raid is the best place to get good gear.

I never liked the set up for the raids, and feel like the approach to a RAID, is done more like a forced LONG MISSION, with awful rewards for too many involved, and a GODLY reward for a few people... and these results don't seem to change week after week, nor for the other characters you have.

The raid should be made as a 1 time reason to complete it, with a CHALLENGE that is random applied to it, similar to the nightfall... not simply reset each week.

Destiny 1 had horrible challenges for the raid, though it was a step in the right direction. These rewards are definitely not going to entice people like you and me to depend on 5 other people for hours at a time.

I gotta say though, The solo game is pretty decent, as it stands, though it will only get better over the next few weeks once there is more for you to do.
If what I said doesn't makes sense... it's because you don't want it to make sense.
(message deleted)

User Info: Nex9000

Nex9000
2 months ago#7
are they adding stuff over the next few weeks for solo play?

User Info: Noctis2343

Noctis2343
2 months ago#8
ApexMjolnir posted...
If you ignore the "RAID IS THE REASON TO PLAY" mentality of the millennials, you will find that there is MORE than enough to do.

Strikes, are basically a Solo thing, that you just happen to be soloing with 2 other people. If you look at it as a team effort, you are looking for trouble.

Everything else in the game is just a grind until you can tackle everything else on your own.

I spent the majority of Destiny 1 just playing solo, and doing strikes. Nightfalls solo are probably the best part of the game, and one of the reasons that I look forward to the weekly resets, ever since Destiny 1.

The stuff that sucks, is that Crucible is fireteam biased, and the Raid is the best place to get good gear.

I never liked the set up for the raids, and feel like the approach to a RAID, is done more like a forced LONG MISSION, with awful rewards for too many involved, and a GODLY reward for a few people... and these results don't seem to change week after week, nor for the other characters you have.

The raid should be made as a 1 time reason to complete it, with a CHALLENGE that is random applied to it, similar to the nightfall... not simply reset each week.

Destiny 1 had horrible challenges for the raid, though it was a step in the right direction. These rewards are definitely not going to entice people like you and me to depend on 5 other people for hours at a time.

I gotta say though, The solo game is pretty decent, as it stands, though it will only get better over the next few weeks once there is more for you to do.

You do realize millenial generation starts in like 83 or even earlier right?
FFXIV Character: Noctis Caelum, Gilgamesh
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1548641/
  1. Boards
  2. Destiny 2
  3. Why is this game so badly designed for solo play?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived