Why don't programmers get any respect?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Game Design and Programming
  3. Why don't programmers get any respect?

User Info: TrueKu

TrueKu
1 year ago#1
Programmers are expected to eat, sleep, dream code. Practice everyday, Everyday training, code so hard you forget to eat. Like expected to behave like professional athletes w.r.t. training, but there's no hundred million dollar contracts. There should be way more scholarships available. Why is sport #1 priority in the US?

What is Google, Microsoft doing with all the Money?
Why is Bill Gates waiting until he's dead to give back?
Even Steve Jobs took his cash with him to his grave.
These guys should be pumping back $$$ back into the system that gave them all they got.

A.B.C.
ALWAYS BE CODING.
Chief Scientician

User Info: 1337toothbrush

1337toothbrush
1 year ago#2
That's okay, they make for it with their massive egos. Ironically, the bigger the paycheck, the bigger the ego.
"Often, people work long hard hours at jobs they hate to earn money to buy things they don't need, to impress people they don't like." - Nigel Marsh
(message deleted)

User Info: SeraphLance

SeraphLance
1 year ago#4
I vaguely recall TrueKu having a history of troll topics here.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

User Info: Cheezmeister

Cheezmeister
1 year ago#5
They keep the place lively. It's actually quite charming having a resident troll. Especially one so talented.

They've got a point though. The modern software industry is pretty peculiar in the expectation of off-the-clock work to keep your skills sharp. Where else is that the norm?

There is such a thing as a 9-5 developer, though. And the pay's still good.
I make games!
http://luchenlabs.com

User Info: Sakum

Sakum
1 year ago#6
Troll or not, I find this an interesting topic.

I'm respected pretty well usually. I would imagine people aren't outward with their disrespect however, so I'm not really sure if those who aren't respected would even know it. I would assume though that slackers aren't respected well.
What's in the booox?!

User Info: Sinroth

Sinroth
1 year ago#7
Sakum posted...
Troll or not, I find this an interesting topic.

I'm respected pretty well usually. I would imagine people aren't outward with their disrespect however, so I'm not really sure if those who aren't respected would even know it. I would assume though that slackers aren't respected well.

Yeah, if anything I find that people unhealthily believe I'm some super prestigious, successful, super-genius because I write computer programs for a living.

I wish programming was treated more like a craft; some activity you do in-and-of-itself because you enjoy it and you happen to be able to make money off it. Talking to lay-people about programming is frustrating because they only ever think about money and Steve Jobs or whatever.

My opinions might change if I ever get a corporate job.
I live in a big house and it's handy to have a pair of running shoes so that it doesn't take me forever to get from one area of the house to another.

User Info: gmo7897

gmo7897
1 year ago#8
Oh, what the hell, I'll bite.

Sports bring in big money and provide entertainment - just like actors and such. It's not entertaining to watch people write code. Also, Microsoft and Google do poor money into computer science education, and Microsoft offers a lot of free software to students, staff, and faculty. I also find it funny that you think Gates and Jobs should pump money into the systems, since (a) they pretty much built any systems you'd be referring to and (b) I'm fairly certain neither of them finished college, so there's no system to which they would feel obliged.
There are some walks you have to take alone.
http://www.gmo7897.com/img/gmo.png

User Info: TrueKu

TrueKu
1 year ago#9
gmo7897 posted...
Oh, what the hell, I'll bite.

Sports bring in big money and provide entertainment - just like actors and such. It's not entertaining to watch people write code. Also, Microsoft and Google do poor money into computer science education, and Microsoft offers a lot of free software to students, staff, and faculty. I also find it funny that you think Gates and Jobs should pump money into the systems, since (a) they pretty much built any systems you'd be referring to and (b) I'm fairly certain neither of them finished college, so there's no system to which they would feel obliged.

a) they did not create the education system nor the act of software development.
b) i did not go to law school, therefore I am not obliged to pay taxes.
Chief Scientician

User Info: Cheezmeister

Cheezmeister
1 year ago#10
Sinroth posted...
Yeah, if anything I find that people unhealthily believe I'm some super prestigious, successful, super-genius because I write computer programs for a living.

Ugh.

"So what do you do?"
"I write code and people pay me for some reason."
"Woah, you're a coder? So you must be like, smart, right?"
"Yeah, sure. Can we talk about Game of Thrones or something?"

I've had this exact conversation (paraphrased) on more than one occasion. There's this prevailing notion that programming is some kind of black art that only the worthy may perform. I mean sure it **is** a black art sometimes, but that's besides the point!
I make games!
http://luchenlabs.com
  1. Boards
  2. Game Design and Programming
  3. Why don't programmers get any respect?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived