New idea, MMO/ Life simulator / survival RPG. (Experiment)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Game Design and Programming
  3. New idea, MMO/ Life simulator / survival RPG. (Experiment)

User Info: Mitchh1988

Mitchh1988
1 year ago#1
Hey guys, my usual focus is in RPG Games. In my head im always coming up with stories / adventure possibility's. Its probably something a lot of people do, but i find my self really creative and i come up with original stuff.

After brainstorming a bit, this idea just strucks me. I wonder how other people think about this, in my mind it could be epic.

Graphics will be sprite based, and movement will be possible in every direction (think about " A link to the past")

The base:

Im gonna create a huge world, forrests/ mountians / snow fields / desserts and more.
There wont be any cities or houses. We will start like they did thousand of years ago.

My own roll: Im gonna function as a bank / overseer. (More on this below)

People will be able to do anything survival related, think about crafting , gathering and hunting.

Gameplay info : I function as a bank / overseer. I will pay people with ingame currency , when they bring me there caught or gathered resources.

When the players gather some money, they can buy property or hire me to build something for them. ( think about stores, inns, castles)

The goal of this game: We will start in a world that only exists out of nature. Players will hunt, gather , explore and craft stuff and people can choose to use it, or sell it to me.

We will build this world and industry together. People are gonna work together , to build a world where everyone has his function.

Im gonna dedicate myself to this, and its pribably gonna use a lot of my time, to controll the world. I feel like this project is worth it.

Players are gonna need rest / food / shelter to survive.

When a player made some money, and contacts me for some property(lets use a foodstore for example) i will place it for that person, allowing him to sell food to other players, from his store.

People can also sell the merchant whatever they caught or hunted down for a decent price, and the store owner will be able to make some profit on it.

I hope that this will lead to a world full of city's , people can work themselfs up from a simple fisher, to the king of there own village!

YOU people will shape this world, just like our world got formed and build up a long time ago.

Releasing this game : ive done my resourcs, i have game make knowledge and this should be a fairly simple thing to start up.

Im gonna make it as real as possible, in a way that everything survival/ real life related will be implented in the game.

How would you guys feel about a project like this? Its only gonna need a handfull of players to start, and hopefully it will grow. I dont think there is any game like this, so i feel like its gonna be worth my time.

Any thoughts or questions?

Feel like helping on the project? Just send me a message!

I hope people like this concept.

User Info: Cheezmeister

Cheezmeister
1 year ago#2
Second Life? Minecraft? Civilization? SimCity?
I make games!
http://luchenlabs.com

User Info: NessEggman

NessEggman
1 year ago#3
LttP only had 8-directional movement.

Anyway, this seems like something more suited for a tabletop campaign and not really a video game...? What happens if you can't play the game for a week because of illness? The game stops completely?

Essentially it sounds like you're wanting to create something like Second Life but with some more focused gameplay like a light version of Don't Starve.

I've had lots of similar ideas for a game where there's a more 'real' economy and focuses on extreme simulation like this, though. I think it would probably be better if instead of you being the banker there was a kind of system where you start a game session with friends (instead of MMO) and a new game always starts from scratch, and then everyone works together to survive/build up the world. Essentially the game would be a sandbox for hosting your own table-top like game but in a virtual world where anything could happen, with the premise that you start from nothing every time.

Anyway, if you really wanna pitch your idea and get people interested, try making a prototype first and show you can get it running and that the gameplay makes sense. Ideas always sound good as ideas but something like this is going to be a lot more difficult to create and actually have it be sensible and fun than it seems in your head. You really need to actually make something concrete before anyone's going to care about the idea.
g Rod hing RodCopper Fishin
For fishing.

User Info: NessEggman

NessEggman
1 year ago#4
Oh, hey, yeah, just realized I was pretty much describing Minecraft. I've never actually played it but the idea of everyone dropping into/joining a game session that starts from scratch and building up from there sounds pretty much just like that.

Yeah, essentially you're just wanting to create a realistic, gritty version of Minecraft that's more focused on exploration/survival instead of building blocks. That could actually be a pretty cool idea but yeah, you really gotta build something first. You'll quickly realize that you're going to end up building something that's been done before or your idea is riddled with things that don't work together.
g Rod hing RodCopper Fishin
For fishing.

Mitchh1988
1 year ago#5
NessEggman posted...
Oh, hey, yeah, just realized I was pretty much describing Minecraft. I've never actually played it but the idea of everyone dropping into/joining a game session that starts from scratch and building up from there sounds pretty much just like that.

Yeah, essentially you're just wanting to create a realistic, gritty version of Minecraft that's more focused on exploration/survival instead of building blocks. That could actually be a pretty cool idea but yeah, you really gotta build something first. You'll quickly realize that you're going to end up building something that's been done before or your idea is riddled with things that don't work together.

Players wont be able to build or place blocks. You will be able to pay me with ig currency, and i will build it.

If your moving out in real life, youre not just gonna place some blocks and move in, you are hiring a house, or hire skmeone to build it.

Mitchh1988
1 year ago#6
NessEggman posted...

Your point about me not being able to play is fair, but i have a decent amount of people to back me up.
  1. Boards
  2. Game Design and Programming
  3. New idea, MMO/ Life simulator / survival RPG. (Experiment)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived