Will this game be a good entry point for someone new to the series?

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Far Cry 5
  3. Will this game be a good entry point for someone new to the series?

User Info: BlackBlazeQ

BlackBlazeQ
2 months ago#1
Never played a far cry game before so should I even pick this up or should I play far cry 1-4 which honestly I dont have time to do so lol. Are the stories connected?
Intel I7 7700k 4.8ghz 16gb RAM DDR4 3000mhz ,GTX 1080 ti, gigabyte z270 MOBO, Corsair 540. Gaming at 1440p 144hz is just amazing!!! PC MASTER RACE!
The stories are not connected at all. You should be fine starting with this one.

It's probably a good thing you haven't played 3 and 4, because this one no doubt uses the same engine and probably reuses alot of the weapons. It'll feel the same with a few new features and a new location.

I played the s*** out of 3, 4, and primal, and still can't wait for this game though.
last.fm/user/RebelMC/
GT:RINGOOOOOOOPSN:RingoSeven

User Info: GasmanOAV

GasmanOAV
2 months ago#3
Primal was my first Far Cry and my only first person game. I loved it and cant wait for 5. Wackos beware.
Your mother will not be proud of this moment in your life.

User Info: BlackBlazeQ

BlackBlazeQ
2 months ago#4
That's good to know. I will prob pick this up next year then.
Intel I7 7700k 4.8ghz 16gb RAM DDR4 3000mhz ,GTX 1080 ti, gigabyte z270 MOBO, Corsair 540. Gaming at 1440p 144hz is just amazing!!! PC MASTER RACE!

User Info: siribanez555

siribanez555
2 months ago#5
I would highly recommend picking up and playing 3 if you have a bit of time before this comes out. Almost a masterpiece in my opinion.
Random, generic signature used to make you angry.

User Info: Offworlder1

Offworlder1
2 months ago#6
You can pick up FC 5 as your first game, since FC 3 there has been no story link for 3,4, or Primal.

Like another poster said though it would not hurt to play FC 3 as it is a very good game.

FC 3 was the first FC game I really liked, I tried a few of the ones before 3 but did not care for them.
"Always two there are, a master and an apprentice"
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: MegamanXfan21xx

MegamanXfan21xx
2 months ago#7
You should definitely give Blood Dragon a try.
Number of fellow Poets of the Fall fans: 24
Want: AC Origins, New Colossus, Psychonauts 2, Red Dead Redemption 2, Bully 2, more Yakuza games

User Info: Mnemosyne_13

Mnemosyne_13
1 month ago#8
There are some thin connections between a few games that are mostly easter-egg-ish and fan-service-ish. Nothing that should prevent you from wholly engaging in Far Cry 5.

With that said ... Some personal perspective on the other Far Cry games I have played ...

Far Cry 3 - My first Far cry game. I platted and I 100 precented.
Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon - One weekend with no sleep. Gods! That was fun!

Far Cry 4 - I platted and got to about 90 percent. Got a bit burned out on the samey-same world missions.

Far Cry Primal - Played 30 hrs and loved it ... Some other game (or maybe life) pulled me away and I have gone back multiple times in order to plat but keep losing interest.

User Info: carsauce

carsauce
1 month ago#9
Yes it will be a new revamped game play you will be able to choose to be a male or female.
This has never happened in this series before.
This is will be truly one Ubisoft game that will go beyond their other work in the past.
Someday, someone will walk into your life and make you realize why it never worked out with anyone else. -anonymous

User Info: kingsiv

kingsiv
3 weeks ago#10
Play Far Cry 3. Now.
  1. Boards
  2. Far Cry 5
  3. Will this game be a good entry point for someone new to the series?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.