In praise of the pioneer

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
  3. In praise of the pioneer

User Info: Zague77

Zague77
3 weeks ago#1
Does anyone else love the pioneer inclination?

While it won't suit every play style, to me it feels like it gives a pawn the most personality, with acquisitor perhaps the only other inclination that does this. I've had a scather/pioneer in my team for a while and she's great fun. She's always wandering off, announcing that she's heading out, then bouncing back and forth. Sometimes she goes on way ahead, sometimes lags way behind. And if I ever stand around for too long without moving, she'll look back and wave me on, impatient to go explore.

The rest of us can be jogging along the road and the pioneer will suddenly go barrelling through, eager to get to that enticing mining point. But she has the attention span of a goldfish. When she gets there, she'll often only mine one piece of ore and then go tearing off after that chest over there, which half the time she'll open and not actually loot because, "What's that?" A crate to smash!

And while it can be very dangerous, it's always great fun in BBI to hear one of your other pawns cry "Maneater!" and then have to check the mini map to try and find where the heck your pioneer is busy being swallowed.

I really love these guys!
"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking..."

User Info: Shinagawakun

Shinagawakun
3 weeks ago#2
I've started running Pioneer on a Sorc. It's a great inclination since it positions them well. It's definitely not as bad as some people make it out to be.
psn:wangyel/wangyell
pawn:Hect, Lv 200, Strider, U+S/Sungjin, Lv.5, Fighter, S

User Info: Anakerie

Anakerie
3 weeks ago#3
Yeah, my ranking dropped quite a bit when I went Scather/Pioneer but I'm not changing it. It works out too well for me and suits her personality.
PSN: Ana Kerie. DDDA Pawn: Zarianna
PSN: Zarismom DDDA Pawn Nessie

Zague77
3 weeks ago#4
Yeah, they're a lot of fun and can be extremely effective. There's a reason certain inclination set ups are popular and considered ideal for a lot of people, but it gets a bit boring and predictable seeing the same ones over and over. It's a bit like seeing the same BBI3 armours over and over. Anything that makes a pawn a little bit different from the norm is always welcome in my game.

Pioneers are quirky, and sometimes scatterbrained. Acquisitors can infuriate some people, but can be really funny. Even guardians - probably the most hated inclination - can be excellent. I've had a few cracking guardian mages.

I've played the game over five years and on four different platforms and still I occasionally find chests and little nooks and crannies I never knew existed thanks to pioneers.

Anakerie
3 weeks ago#5
Zague77 posted...
Yeah, they're a lot of fun and can be extremely effective. There's a reason certain inclination set ups are popular and considered ideal for a lot of people, but it gets a bit boring and predictable seeing the same ones over and over. It's a bit like seeing the same BBI3 armours over and over. Anything that makes a pawn a little bit different from the norm is always welcome in my game.

Pioneers are quirky, and sometimes scatterbrained. Acquisitors can infuriate some people, but can be really funny. Even guardians - probably the most hated inclination - can be excellent. I've had a few cracking guardian mages.

I've played the game over five years and on four different platforms and still I occasionally find chests and little nooks and crannies I never knew existed thanks to pioneers.

The only thing I'd have to add to this is that it's a great inclination for pawns that are strong enough to take care of themselves. It's not so good on pawns that are low-level and don't have very good armor yet. Because these pawns will initiate battle before you even get on the scene and you want them to be able to hold their own until back-up arrives. It's also good for a laugh when your pawn is a raging lunatic and you get there to find them standing calmly in the middle of bloody carnage.

Zague77
3 weeks ago#6
Good point. I can't really remember hiring too many pioneers at low levels. Going to do Lost and Found early, with it marked as the active quest and with rented pawns who have three star knowledge of it, usually leads to them getting slaughtered by those accursed bandits before I can catch up. Low level pioneers might suffer a similar fate.

Anakerie
3 weeks ago#7
Zague77 posted...
Good point. I can't really remember hiring too many pioneers at low levels. Going to do Lost and Found early, with it marked as the active quest and with rented pawns who have three star knowledge of it, usually leads to them getting slaughtered by those accursed bandits before I can catch up. Low level pioneers might suffer a similar fate.

I think it's kind of like Utilitarian: that inclination works best on pawns with a good solid bestiary. Some inclinations are good for young pawns and some are better for more experienced pawns. It adds another layer to the game. And I like hiring pawns with Aquistor inclinations. P/A or A/P pawns are hilarious.

User Info: Duplucky

Duplucky
3 weeks ago#8
When my pawn will become a strider again, I think I'll give him the pioneer inclination for lol.
PSN : Duplucky
Main pawn : Eliana (Strider lvl 110+)

User Info: 500up

500up
3 weeks ago#9
Zague77 posted...
And while it can be very dangerous, it's always great fun in BBI to hear one of your other pawns cry "Maneater!" and then have to check the mini map to try and find where the heck your pioneer is busy being swallowed.

I've stopped worrying about them being eaten by maneaters, unless their health is really low. If they do get grabbed when i'm not near by, they always seem to be free by the time i get to them. The maneater in the garden is the most frequent one for me - they'll run to it before the fight starts and while i'm killing the gorechimeera and saurians or goblins, they somehow find theyre way out of the maneaters mouth. I'm guessing the other pawns have helped somehow - even when theyre on the other side of the garden or full view, but whatever it is, they only die by a maneater if their health is low.
I became a fan of pioneer after watching Ard's pawn Calista in APC 1. After watching her, I changed my red pawns to pioneer and did a couple runs through bbi. Once i got used to them, i decided to try my blue pawns out and was completely sold on it. Now my pawns run as pioneer as soon as i have the rc to change their inclinations
As for initiating combat, i find they aren't any more likely then scather primaries to initiate combat. As an example the 3 LA or Eliminators guarding the bridge to daimon. I get close enough that the pawns will comment but they wont start the attack until the LA/Eliminators charge, or i initiate the combat.

Anakerie posted...
I think it's kind of like Utilitarian: that inclination works best on pawns with a good solid bestiary.

There's definitely a noticeable change in behaviour with pioneers with limited beasiary and full beastiary. The pioneers tend to hover around the arisen when they dont know an enemy, even 2 star knowledge, theyll do this far too often. Most pawns will do this from one degree to another, but its more noticeable with pioneers as you expect them to be out pioneering.
It's the biggest thing i like about pioneers - more respect for the arisen's personal space. It's not perfect but its better then the other inlcinations - in or out of battle.
Fivehundredup - Summer

Anakerie
3 weeks ago#10
500up posted...
Zague77 posted...

I've stopped worrying about them being eaten by maneaters, unless their health is really low. If they do get grabbed when i'm not near by, they always seem to be free by the time i get to them. The maneater in the garden is the most frequent one for me - they'll run to it before the fight starts and while i'm killing the gorechimeera and saurians or goblins, they somehow find theyre way out of the maneaters mouth. I'm guessing the other pawns have helped somehow - even when theyre on the other side of the garden or full view, but whatever it is, they only die by a maneater if their health is low.
I became a fan of pioneer after watching Ard's pawn Calista in APC 1. After watching her, I changed my red pawns to pioneer and did a couple runs through bbi. Once i got used to them, i decided to try my blue pawns out and was completely sold on it. Now my pawns run as pioneer as soon as i have the rc to change their inclinations
As for initiating combat, i find they aren't any more likely then scather primaries to initiate combat. As an example the 3 LA or Eliminators guarding the bridge to daimon. I get close enough that the pawns will comment but they wont start the attack until the LA/Eliminators charge, or i initiate the combat.

I think it depends on the pawn. Mine would start a fight with a tree. : (
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
  3. In praise of the pioneer

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived