Will DBZ fans REALLY buy this game?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Ball FighterZ
  3. Will DBZ fans REALLY buy this game?

User Info: MegamanRockX2

MegamanRockX2
2 months ago#1
I remember we had a more traditional fighting game a long time ago named Super Dragon Ball Z. The DBZ fandom slammed it for the fact it wasnt exactly like Tenkaichi / Budokai, the smaller roster, etc. The same is already happening now, especially from the ignorant Xenoverse fans.

This was back in 2005 though. With the advent of the internet, there's more prone to complaining and sheep following the general opinion on the internet. So do you think there will be a split in the fanbase for this game?
LimboStudios: Go play Daddy Sakurai's "Everyone Wins" Anime Fighting Game.

User Info: SuperNamekGod

SuperNamekGod
2 months ago#2
Bruh this b8 was already used
Official Piccolo of the Dragon Ball Fighter Z Board
"Shut the **** up and let me RP Mom!"-HazeX2

User Info: ShadowRaiden00

ShadowRaiden00
2 months ago#3
http://i.imgur.com/ilpD6Tl.gif
Red Wings-Pistons-Tigers-Spartans
http://i.imgur.com/T5VJ5Mi.gifv http://i.imgur.com/F3Yu7Aw.gifv http://i.imgur.com/7s86tr1.gif http://i.imgur.com/jy39uF4.gif

User Info: Taylor_SwiftNOT

Taylor_SwiftNOT
2 months ago#4
ShadowRaiden00 posted...

That is so cute. <3
THE LEGENDARY ADAM WEST DIES! :( RIP Adam West: 1928-2017

User Info: HazeX2

HazeX2
2 months ago#5
ShadowRaiden00 posted...

Oh...
This a very nice gif.
SuperHyperMegaCyberDeluxeUltraZeroTurboDimensionDevotion Neptunia Re;birth PP VII vs. Zombies Online
Go beyond, PLUS ULTRA!

User Info: AFreeby

AFreeby
2 months ago#6
I'll bite, I'm bored.

Not all competitive fighting game styles are equally useful for the same franchise. First let me say, Tenkaichi 3 is still my favorite DB game, and there is a good chance it will remain that way even after FighterZ drops. I'm also a fan of Guilty Gear and Blazblue, and have been playing ASW games for close to 10 years.

The thing that made BT3 so popular was how much it felt like you were playing as real Dragon Ball characters with the combination of the simple, but fun mechanics, the detail Spike put into the characters attacks and transformations, and the overall size of the roster, spanning the entirety of the series at that point.

Moving onto Super DBZ, Capcom crafted a well made and decently balanced fighter (as they used to do on the regular), but the game lacked the mobility and flair of DB. For all the great fighting game mechanics in SDBZ, the game lacked the overall feeling and soul of the source material.

Now the major difference in terms of what little we've seen of FighterZ, and the reason everyone is so hyped, is because ASW style of competitive fighting game already meshes well with DBZ. Anime fighters, like Blazblue and Guilty Gear, focus on speed and and aerial combat much more than just about any Capcom style fighter (MvC being a big exception). The art style for their games also matches the over the top flair found in DB.

Ultimately ASW's pedigree for well balanced, fast paced mobile fighters with a strong anime art style syncs up much better with the DB franchise than what Capcom tried to create with Super DBZ. They also seemed to pick some traits from the MvC series, and added their own spin, to add even more kinetic energy to the game. All these things are what you need to do if you want to make a well received competitive DB fighting game within the fanbase. So far Arc seems to be heading in the right direction, though we'll have to wait and see with the finished product.

Tl;dr Not all gameplay styles of competitive fighters work for all franchises. The style of this game works with DB, where SDBZ's style did not.
Before me things create were none, save things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Official Dark Emperor Mundus of the Devil May Cry Boards

User Info: Sir_Punsalot

Sir_Punsalot
2 months ago#7
Are people forgetting Arc Sys' track record of having "that one guy" in their fighters?
You know, Nu-13 in calamity trigger
Makoto Nanaya in CS2(?)
Elphelt in XRD -sign
Aigis and Mitsuru in P4A

What I'm trying to say is, when it comes to overall balance; Arc sys does well, but they always f*** it up by having one broken ass character to f*** s*** up.

So I'd say people shouldn't throw the word 'balance' left and right until we get to play the actual game.

But anyways none of that really matters. What this game got which IMO super DBZ lacked is "personality".
Super DBZ looked bland IMO, it didn't capture the 'feeling' of DBZ from the tidbits I saw....
PS3, ps4: gamersama (s*** user id I know). PsVita:uae_spetsnaz.
Official hermit of all boards, for I have achieved enlightenment. Thanks Harada.

User Info: SSBR10

SSBR10
2 months ago#8
AFreeby posted...
Moving onto Super DBZ, Capcom crafted a well made and decently balanced fighter (as they used to do on the regular), but the game lacked the mobility and flair of DB. For all the great fighting game mechanics in SDBZ, the game lacked the overall feeling and soul of the source material.

Not sure how you came to that. SDBZ felt very much like the source material to me.
Crossovers I want: PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale 2, Shonen Jump vs. Capcom, Mortal Kombat vs. Killer Instinct, and Tekken vs. Dead or Alive/Virtua Fighter

User Info: Krow_Incarnate

Krow_Incarnate
2 months ago#9
Sir_Punsalot posted...
Are people forgetting Arc Sys' track record of having "that one guy" in their fighters?
You know, Nu-13 in calamity trigger
Makoto Nanaya in CS2(?)
Elphelt in XRD -sign
Aigis and Mitsuru in P4A

What I'm trying to say is, when it comes to overall balance; Arc sys does well, but they always f*** it up by having one broken ass character to f*** s*** up.

So I'd say people shouldn't throw the word 'balance' left and right until we get to play the actual game.

But anyways none of that really matters. What this game got which IMO super DBZ lacked is "personality".
Super DBZ looked bland IMO, it didn't capture the 'feeling' of DBZ from the tidbits I saw....

Neither of the last two EVO champs were Elphelts. Or the runnerups, if I'm not mistaken.
Hail Hydra

User Info: TheoryCancer101

TheoryCancer101
2 months ago#10
SSBR10 posted...
AFreeby posted...

Not sure how you came to that. SDBZ felt very much like the source material to me.

Maybe because you like Street Fighter.
"My Theories Will Cure You!"
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Ball FighterZ
  3. Will DBZ fans REALLY buy this game?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived