POLL: how does Horizon: Zero Dawn stack up against Monster Hunter to you?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. POLL: how does Horizon: Zero Dawn stack up against Monster Hunter to you?

User Info: thedarklordx3

thedarklordx3
3 months ago#11
I think tomorrow I'll make a topic just like this one, except with dragon's dogma vs MH
Dragon Ball is more than just anime/manga... it's a way of life - DBZAOTA482
call me Sodium Chloride my raps so ill they'll make you wanna die - Scorpion122178

User Info: HotCell43

HotCell43
3 months ago#12
First of all TC have you played monster Hunter before? If you only watch MH World trailers, you might think it's like horizon because it looks open-world, but it's not.

Horizon is more like far cry where you explore a open-world and hunt whatever monster/creature you meet. More action than skill based (MH) imo.
PSN/Xbox Live: McProtege92
3DS FC: Abel 4038-6842-1951

User Info: Metalsonic66

Metalsonic66
3 months ago#13
thedarklordx3 posted...
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/168644-horizon-zero-dawn?search=Monster+hunter

Some people see it, others don't

Not saying there aren't similarities, but I can't see anything that makes Horizon look like it was literally inspired by Monster Hunter. With God Eater, Soul Sacrifice, Toukiden, or even Dauntless, the inspiration is extremely obvious.
PSN/Steam ID: Metalsonic_69
Big bombs go kabang.

thedarklordx3
3 months ago#14
HotCell43 posted...
First of all TC have you played monster Hunter before?

99% of my monster hunter play time amounts to around 100-200 hours in the third gen games (I've played all 3)

HotCell43 posted...
More action than skill based (MH) imo.

Action technically is skill based, the opposite of skill based is stats/gear based i think

Metalsonic66 posted...
Not saying there aren't similarities, but I can't see anything that makes Horizon look like it was literally inspired by Monster Hunter. With God Eater, Soul Sacrifice, Toukiden, or even Dauntless, the inspiration is extremely obvious.

Fair. Some might call it a bad thing that a lot of the other hunting games rip off MH so hard, others would say that it's a tried and true formula that shouldn't be messed with too much
call me Sodium Chloride my raps so ill they'll make you wanna die - Scorpion122178

User Info: Element_Pearl

Element_Pearl
3 months ago#15
Horizon isn't even close. You can kill the t-rex machines in like 5 seconds with the right setup. It's nothing but an open world shooter where the shooting just happens to be with a bow most of the time.
Official Holy Dragon Nall of the First Generation.

thedarklordx3
3 months ago#16
Element_Pearl posted...
Horizon isn't even close. You can kill the t-rex machines in like 5 seconds with the right setup. It's nothing but an open world shooter where the shooting just happens to be with a bow most of the time.

ever seen a skilled monster hunter player dumpster a monster so hard that it barely gets an attack in? I've seen loads of videos like that.

User Info: Mulate

Mulate
3 months ago#17
thedarklordx3 posted...
Element_Pearl posted...

ever seen a skilled monster hunter player dumpster a monster so hard that it barely gets an attack in? I've seen loads of videos like that.

Those skilled hunters must be hackers then. Because no way they can do that in seconds. Not even going to say anything about execution difficulty.

User Info: Element_Pearl

Element_Pearl
3 months ago#18
thedarklordx3 posted...
Element_Pearl posted...

It's not even close to the same thing. Also, no. You don't see even the most skilled MH players wrecking the toughest enemy in the game in a matter of seconds. There's a lot more depth to MH than there is to Horizon. You can't just freeze them and then use the rattler to melt their HP bar.
Official Holy Dragon Nall of the First Generation.

User Info: Alchemiist

Alchemiist
3 months ago#19
thedarklordx3 posted...
Far cry isn't mostly about boss fights though, MH and its clones and HZD are

How is HZD 'mostly about boss figths'?

I think the only similarity between MH and HZD is that the enemies you fight are usually pretty large.

User Info: Baval

Baval
3 months ago#20
they look similar at a glance, but are actually very different.
Monster Hunter Bold Legend. I am one of the main reasons the Bold button exists today on Gamefaqs. Please show appropriate respect. Thank you.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. POLL: how does Horizon: Zero Dawn stack up against Monster Hunter to you?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived