Why are so many MH fans specifically against a story?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Why are so many MH fans specifically against a story?

User Info: DaiIchiban

DaiIchiban
2 months ago#11
Sekret: Monster Hunter isn't an "Action RPG."
All of the role playing is done in your head.
Monster Hunter GMR Chrome Heart Legend. Molded in metal by the Gods of Rock for GMR. Please show appropriate respect. Thank you.

User Info: BenignPandora

BenignPandora
2 months ago#12
DaiIchiban posted...
I don't want the game dictating who my character is and what his motivations are anymore than it already has. This is MY journey of slaughter.
The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.

User Info: psoRanger

psoRanger
2 months ago#13
story? I button mash through dialogue but I make sure I read every quest description, now that's story right there. like the guildmarm or whoever it was that has the hots for a fistful of brachy lovin'.

Those strong arms! That explosive personality! And he's right there in the Volcanic Hollow... Oh, I could faint! Be a dear, Doodle, and give him a wink from me, okay?
A light can only shine so bright when it's next to like, a supernova & she was standing right next to Jean Claude Van Damme. - Joel YITB

User Info: Yomigaeru

Yomigaeru
2 months ago#14
Dasoku posted...
But why do I see so many people act as if it's a negative, like as if the presence of a story makes the game worse? I saw a few people literally say the story was a turnoff.

To be fair, a bad story can drag down the overall quality of a game (even if you ignore it).

User Info: Dayez

Dayez
2 months ago#15
Plenty of good reasons stated above. I'd probably also add it's really hard to create a good story. Very few games manage to pull it off. I see it as one aspect that is more likely to go wrong than right. Coupled with the fact that the series has done well without a focus on story, it seems like there is more downside to attempting one.

Regardless, you can probably ignore the story if you don't like it.

User Info: NJWrassler

NJWrassler
2 months ago#16
Storytelling is good. MH has always relied on text to do it, even just in descriptions of hunts or items. 4U shows the possibility of what they can do, and it is pretty simple, to the point, go hunt this gameplay with a little extra. This looks no different.

Also, Saints Row 2 had the dumbest plot ever but was awesome.

People can't handle anything nowadays. It has plot?!? EXPLODES

User Info: clockworkcorpse

clockworkcorpse
2 months ago#17
I think a lot of the responses to the question of weather MH needs a story might be misinterpreted. For those that have played the series through several games the story isn't important to encourage progression. In fact, most people returning to the game usually feel the game doesn't really get started until the endgame, and view whatever story that follows them through the earlier ranks is just a very longwinded tutorial.

For myself i don't care if there is a story. I'd be happy with something like "oh noes! We crashed our boat-ship on the top of this mountain on an island nobody has ever visited before! Mystery! Exploration! What is there to kill around here and what can we craft from the corpses!?"
MH4U/Gen IGN: Craig, HH + S&S + GS

User Info: SGRM

SGRM
2 months ago#18
I like the story as is. You're the village hunter, and you fulfill any/every contract offered no questions asked. I'm happy with that, I dont need any further motivation.
Militant men in peaceful times attack themselves.

User Info: Element_Pearl

Element_Pearl
2 months ago#19
Because it's not going to be a good story anyway, so why bother investing resources in it when they could have maybe created a new weapon or enemy instead? Now they have to pay for mocap, voice acting, scenario, cutscenes, etc. It's a waste of money, because it's not going to be good. At best it will be inoffensive.
Official Holy Dragon Nall of the First Generation.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Why are so many MH fans specifically against a story?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived