Pokemon- Gotta Watch/Read 'Em All: The Experience Topic

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon
  3. Pokemon- Gotta Watch/Read 'Em All: The Experience Topic

User Info: angleslam99

angleslam99
2 months ago#61
Pokémon The Series: Sun and Moon - S20E31 - "The Island Whisperer!"

Favorite Moment/Quote: Ash and his classmates successfully rescue Wailmer from the attacking Bruxish
Featured Pokémon: Tapu Lele, Wailmer, Bruxish

It's almost unreal about how differently these characters would act in the manga as opposed to their anime counterparts. Because the anime is aimed towards a younger crowd, naturally you need characters that are over exaggerated. Now that's fine since it's better than having a boring character. The reason I bring this up is because Olivia just has this quirk about her: she's constantly slipping or tripping and that's supposed to be funny and get laughs from the younger crowd, but for others I'm sure they're like, "uhh, what?". Not to mention, constantly needing to remind the audience that it's not the same Nurse Joy we've met before; I mean come on Ash, we gotta through that song and dance again?

I enjoy stories like this. It was almost like we were on the field trip with the class only because for the first time in a long time, the worlds in the anime actually feel alive. It's the same way after I finished my first playthrough of Sun & Moon, the Islands have personality. I also wish we would get more time with Lana because I think she's criminally underused and she seems to have the most knowledge of the class outside of Kiawe. Mallow is alright but she's kinda ditsy, and don't even get me started with Sophocles and his annoying Togedemaru. I wish the spotlight was on Lana this episode, maybe she could have been the one to lead the rescue of the Wailmer and she could also be the one to explain that this is Bruxish territory and tell our heroes how to help. That would have been nice.

Ash's Current Six: Pikachu, Rowlet, Rockruff, Litten

Major Current Events: Ash and his classmates meet the Akala Island Kahuna Olivia for the first time, Ash and his classmates finally reach Akala Island

+Ash's In-Storage/Released/Other+: Butterfree, Bulbasaur, Kingler, Muk, Primeape, Tauros, Pidgeot, Snorlax, Lapras, Heracross, Bayleef, Quilava, Squirtle, Totodile, Noctowl, Torkoal, Glalie, Sceptile, Corphish, Swellow, Donphan, Aipom, Gliscor, Staraptor, Torterra, Infernape, Buizel, Gible, Palpitoad, Unfezant, Boldore, Krookodile, Leavanny, Pignite, Oshawott, Snivy, Charizard, Scraggy, Goodra, Greninja, Talonflame, Hawlucha, Noivern

*Ash has currently defeated 1 Totem Pokémon, earned 2 Z-Crystals, and has cleared 1 Grand Trials*

Rating and Final Thoughts: 9, great. I'm going with a solid 9 on this because I was thoroughly entertained from start to finish. Granted I was a bit confused about what was going on with that Komala that fell off the bell tower, I thought maybe that would play into the plot somehow, maybe for timing issues but it was just a random scene that meant nothing. I still stand by what I said about Lana because while this episode served as a story to introduce Olivia, I think it would have been great to have everyone learn from everybody so we can all help each other out. One day Lana, one day.
S U P E R N A T U R A L
"Hola Mishamigos!" - Misha Collins, "Supernatural"

User Info: pokedude900

pokedude900
2 months ago#62
Thought it was kinda silly how they were panicking that Wailmer was sinking. I mean it's a Water-type. Even if it is a whale rather than a fish, you're right next to an island. It'll recover and come back to the surface long before it drowns.
http://i.imgur.com/h8C53Ho.jpg http://i.imgur.com/WC57MrV.jpg
Come to the (un)official GameFAQs Touhou board. http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1110-

User Info: mehmeh1

mehmeh1
2 months ago#63
I think the komala scenes mean the bell ringing. Also, I won't spoil anything, but you'll see more action starting from 2 weeks from now
FC: 3840-6927-7945, have OR/Y/SM4SH/PSMD I'm a youtuber, here is my link: https://m.youtube.com/#/user/bigbangpegasusmaster.I play games

User Info: lelouch623

lelouch623
2 months ago#64
This suggests both that Erika did not talk to Brock and that rival never met Misty. Red is not the trainer that someone would pin their hopes on when you know there's the much more capable honored grandson.

The first implication though could mean that Brock isn't in league with the good gym leaders like Erika and Misty. We have to wonder why was Koga using rock type pokemon in Mt. Moon despite being a poison expert, and why was Brock so weak compared to every other gym leader we've met almost as if he wasn't even trying

angleslam99
2 months ago#65
Pokémon Adventures: Volume 2, Adventure 21 - "Long Live the Nidoking!"

Favorite Moment/Quote: Pidgebot reveals that the wild Nidoking has marked Red as its enemy
Featured Pokémon: Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Victreebell

And we're back! This story was awesome and action packed from, literally, beginning to end! We got to see Red be the mischievous and sometimes reckless Pokémon trainer that he is by smuggling in a Pokéball which is against the rules and catches a wild Pokémon that sets off a chain reaction of unfortunate events for the young boy. I kinda like how goofy the entire set up was because everything that followed felt like it fell in line with the kind of tone they established. I thought if this had been animated it probably would have been the most exciting to see unfold on the small screen. The visuals for the Nidoking were top notch, they felt very threatening and monstrous. Loved the details!

I do feel bad for that poor Nidoqueen though. Just caught up between two battling potential mates and being caught by some punk kid who likes to break the rules just because. Red was aiming for the Nidoking but caught the Nidoqueen instead "by dumb luck". I accept it. The rest of the story was my favorite sequence of events I've read from the manga thus far. The way they drew Nidoking hiding in the bushes felt like a scene straight out of Jurassic Park. They did a really good job with this story and by the end of it all you expect Red to be home free! But nope! He finds himself in the clutches of a hungry Victreebell who wants nothing but a quick lunch. I guess it's just not Red's day, but I'm assuming his Pokémon will rescue him at the last second, maybe Ivysaur will cut open Victreebell's stomach and Red will spill out-- that would be awesome, admit it!

Red's Current Six: Poliwrath, Ivysaur, Pikachu, Eevee, Nidoqueen

Major Current Events: Red catches a wild Nidoqueen by mistake and creates an enemy by a pursuing Nidoking

+Red's In-Storage/Released/Other+: Nidoran (M), Bellsprout, Fearow, Snorlax, Diglett, Krabby

*Red has currently earned 3 Kanto Region Gym Badges*
S U P E R N A T U R A L

angleslam99
2 months ago#66
Pokémon The Series: Sun and Moon - S20E32 - "Treasure Hunt, Akala Style!"

Favorite Moment/Quote: Rotomdex: "At this rate, the chance of you losing is...*computes* ...99%." *Ash groans*
Featured Pokémon: Stoutland

It's kind of surreal in a way to know that we are over thirty episodes into the Sun & Moon anime and Ash has done very little in terms of plot or general character progression. I can definitely see how watching the anime week-to-week would hurt the overall appeal of the show for an older audience. For the kids out there I'm sure they love seeing Ash and Pikachu doing these whacky things and getting into trouble because I'm almost positive they're not so concerned or worried about the big overall picture-- the plot. They're like cats that like to paw at dangling, flashy objects and not so concerned with what it is or why it is the way that it is. There's nothing wrong with that at all since it is a cartoon about Pokémon, but for someone like me who doesn't particularly like long stretches of nothing happening, it's exhausting.

Now, I do want to make a quick call back to one of my previous reviews where I had mentioned that I wanted them to actually do something with Lana because I felt she was underused. My prayers were answered! Thank Arceus! Lana finds a Sparkling Stone and is eventually going to get that fashioned into a Z-Ring with the help from Olivia. I do think it's great that we've moved on to another Island, Akala Island, but I'm just kinda itching for them to keep the plot moving. We haven't seen Team Rocket in a while it seems and that's starting to bug me since they usually are very entertaining and are mostly the best parts of an episode. But yay for Lana, she's getting a step up that she deserves and I couldn't be happier for her!

Ash's Current Six: Pikachu, Rowlet, Rockruff, Litten

Major Current Events: Ash attempts to catch an Alolan Geodude but fails, Lana finds a Sparkling Stone during the Treasure Hunt and its being made into a Z-Ring by Olivia for her

+Ash's In-Storage/Released/Other+: Butterfree, Bulbasaur, Kingler, Muk, Primeape, Tauros, Pidgeot, Snorlax, Lapras, Heracross, Bayleef, Quilava, Squirtle, Totodile, Noctowl, Torkoal, Glalie, Sceptile, Corphish, Swellow, Donphan, Aipom, Gliscor, Staraptor, Torterra, Infernape, Buizel, Gible, Palpitoad, Unfezant, Boldore, Krookodile, Leavanny, Pignite, Oshawott, Snivy, Charizard, Scraggy, Goodra, Greninja, Talonflame, Hawlucha, Noivern

*Ash has currently defeated 1 Totem Pokémon, earned 2 Z-Crystals, and has cleared 1 Grand Trials*

Rating and Final Thoughts: 8.5, great. Like I had mentioned before, and I apologize for the mini-rant, I enjoyed the show a lot more when I can speed through it but the feel of week-to-week with nothing happening can be overbearing. But hurray for the push for Lana because I feel like she can be our next star next to Lillie. Additionally I loved the callback to the Stoutland that passed, because I was wondering if they would comment on it considering they would be interacting with Stoutland. Solid episode all around but I'm eagerly awaiting for some plot to happen!
S U P E R N A T U R A L

angleslam99
2 months ago#67
Pokémon Adventures: Volume 2, Adventure 22 - "A Hollow Victreebel"

Favorite Moment/Quote: Red uses the caught Victreebel to weaken and captured the one-eyed-Nidoking
Featured Pokémon: Victreebel, Nidoking

Whoa this got dark pretty fast once we realized what was happening with Red and the Victreebel. Some sort of "Evolution ritual" where Bellsprout evolve to Weepinbell and Weepinbell evolve into Victreebel. All of course after draining the life out of already caught prey... I felt bad for the rats and birds caught and being fed on-- did they intentionally not make the dead animals look like Pokémon? Because I was trying to see if it was a Rattata and a Swanna that was caught, but Swanna didn't exist in Gen 1 so I assume it was just "generic dead rat and bird". These are animals in this universe, so I guess seeing some Animal Planet type of stuff should be expected.

Since all the Pokémon caught by Red were captured in Safari Balls, can they even be counted as Pokémon caught? I guess I could find out if I keep reading.. but it was one for the records seeing Red finally captured that pursuing "one eyed Nidoking" that has been stalking him throughout the Safari Zone. The final panel of the story reminded me of that one episode of Pokémon where Ash caught like 30 Tauros'-- "You should have seen the ones that got away!" such a Red thing to say. Would Ash have been all that resourceful if he were put in the same situation Red was? I could see Red catching the 30 Tauros but would Ash have survived the Safari Zone without any Pokémon and without any real help from his friends? Sure Red had that Pidgebot thing but it was more like his Jimeny Cricket.

Red's Current Six: Poliwrath, Ivysaur, Pikachu, Eevee, Nidoqueen

Major Current Events: Red escapes the Safari Zone revealing all his latest captures which includes the one-eyed-Nidoking among others

+Red's In-Storage/Released/Other+: Nidoran (M), Bellsprout, Fearow, Snorlax, Diglett, Krabby

S U P E R N A T U R A L

pokedude900
2 months ago#68
Much like the first season of the anime, they just assumed animals existed in this world and retconned it later (well, I assume it's retconned later. I'm only on the Yellow arc myself at the moment).
Come to the (un)official GameFAQs Touhou board. http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1110-

angleslam99
2 months ago#69
Pokémon Adventures: Volume 2, Adventure 23 - "Make Way for Magmar!"

Favorite Moment/Quote: Giovanni sees for what he lacks in intelligence Red makes up for in ingenuity
Featured Pokémon: Magmar, Sandshrew

Did Giovanni have his Cloyster freeze and then shatter the frozen Magmar? That was badass. I was a little disappointed that nothing much more happened with the Magmar in this chapter considering how big of a deal Magmar was in the anime. Remember "Volcanic Panic"? I expected something of that caliber when it came down to Magmar's debut in the manga but you take what you can get. It was neat seeing Giovanni testing Red and how he deals with certain situations, basically feeling out what type of Pokémon trainer he is. Where Red showed mercy by not "finishing off" the Magmar, we see Giovanni do what Red could not: destroy a defenseless opponent. The battle lines have been drawn guys!

On a side note, does the manga deal with the fact that there are more than 8 Pokémon Gyms in a particular region? I know in the anime it was confirmed that Gary had 10 badges before Ash could even get to his 8th. I know the idea of a Pokémon League hasn't been discussed yet, but how would a trainer even earn the Viridian City Pokémon Gym Badge if the Gym Leader himself has been MIA for quite some time? I know the Pokémon Badges in this world are seen more like trophies than requirements for entering a League of all the finest trainers throughout the region, but I'd like to see more about the inner-workings of this universe and how it exactly all fits together in the grand scheme of things.

Red's Current Six: Poliwrath, Ivysaur, Pikachu, Eevee, Snorlax, Sandshrew

Major Current Events: Red is revealed to have caught a Sandshrew, Red unknowingly works alongside Team Rocket leader Giovanni, Giovanni destroys the pursuing Magmar unknown to Red

+Red's In-Storage/Released/Other+: Nidoran (M), Bellsprout, Fearow, Diglett, Krabby, Nidoqueen

S U P E R N A T U R A L

pokedude900
2 months ago#70
There are only 8 gyms. Having more was just an anime thing. And having the badges isn't required for entering the tournament.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon
  3. Pokemon- Gotta Watch/Read 'Em All: The Experience Topic

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.