Favorite group of RPG sub-villains

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. RPGs - Everything Else
  3. Favorite group of RPG sub-villains

User Info: mmx4

mmx4
4 months ago#1
You know, the group of subordinates to the big bad, who you fight multiple times.

As for me, Skies of Arcadia's generals strike the right balance of humor, likability and menace that I like them all.
Life is pain. Anyone who says otherwise is selling something.

User Info: zinformant

zinformant
4 months ago#2
Henchmen? This is one category where I might, actually, not have a favorite. I tend not to like antagonistic forces in the first place, but relatively incompetent ones? No thank you.
50 RPG town themes countdown #15-01 posted...give it a listen!
https://youtu.be/evwsxVGCi7s?list=PL1z6MAQ_6791ncscmyxq8ADLxMTkXB_9f

User Info: GamerNerdTalk

GamerNerdTalk
4 months ago#3
Probably the Abyss watchers from Dark Souls 3. There lore of being one entity is pretty insteresting stuff
Game of the Year 2016: Dark Souls 3
Runner up: Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocolypse

User Info: Amethyst85

Amethyst85
4 months ago#4
Maybe the God-Generals from Tales of the Abyss? Highly competent (mostly) and they were more interesting than most of the main cast.

(Admittedly the main cast of Abyss was pretty terrible, but still.)
It is not my job to be right. It is my job to be wrong in new and exciting ways. - James Kennedy
Dame Amethyst - Knight of the Order of Odd-Fish

User Info: FLOUR

FLOUR
4 months ago#5
Probably the Akueldo members. Brionac and Odessa are also up there.

--
Yo, bartender! Jobu needs a refill! Heads up! ****.

User Info: Krisena

Krisena
4 months ago#6
Not a trope I like. Actually I can't think of an instance where I liked it.
Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.

User Info: Appleforce

Appleforce
4 months ago#7
Do the Ten Wise Men count?
He killed Steve Irwin and escaped to the sea.
JET STINGRAY

User Info: Flamechamp2333

Flamechamp2333
4 months ago#8
judges from ff12. The audio compressed stuffy nosed voice acting actually worked well with the masked judges.
psn: immessingaround

User Info: shiva

shiva
4 months ago#9
mmx4 posted...
As for me, Skies of Arcadia's generals strike the right balance of humor, likability and menace that I like them all.

Came in to post exactly this. "Topic over".

Besides those, the most memorable would be the God Generals of Tales of the Abyss, the Cardinals of Tales of Symphonia, the Bulzome Sect in Shining Force 3, the Prophets from Wild Arms 3, the Organization 13 in Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories and 2.

This is a great way to provide much needed personality to a game's plot, and to form stronger antagonistic entities. When I think of my fave RPG villains, very few solo entries would make the cut. It's all about the collective.
"Hurry up and make me the star of the sequel!" - Super Zur confirms Guardian Heroes 2!

User Info: akemihomura44

akemihomura44
4 months ago#10
I love the Turks in Final Fantasy VII.

They are really cool, mysterious yet kind of adorable/funny. There is also just something really immersive and satisfying about fighting a story character without them turning into a monster or something. I also love how they keep changing from foe to ally all the time. It really gives the story more dimensions.

I agree this is generally a trope that is hard to do something impressive with. In a way it's a compromise already from the start, because you're stalling the main villain. I think all the examples I agree with so far have a lot of other things going for them that makes them memorable.
  1. Boards
  2. RPGs - Everything Else
  3. Favorite group of RPG sub-villains

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived