What is the most underrated JRP in your opinion?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. RPGs - Everything Else
  3. What is the most underrated JRP in your opinion?

User Info: SharpX68000

SharpX68000
3 months ago#1
I think Lennus 2 is one of the greatest rpgs ever though its virtualy unkown (it was a late snes title and never officially released in america so fair enough). Not the most story driven game but has one of the most fascinating and immersive game worlds ive ever seen. Never played Paladin's Quest but i hear its not nearly as good. Lennus 2 reminds me a lot of Mother 3 actually in its aesthetic and generally being on the comedic quirky side but having a very dark edge to it.
I wanna play call of duty shoot a man!

User Info: glitch_

glitch_
3 months ago#2
Suikoden 5 for me. The game could and should be more popular.

User Info: sundown

sundown
3 months ago#3
I had never heard of Lennus 2 before this topic and now it´s on my backlog, just wanted to say thanks

SharpX68000
3 months ago#4
sundown posted...
I had never heard of Lennus 2 before this topic and now it´s on my backlog, just wanted to say thanks

Oh cool youre welcome! Hope you enjoy it :D
- Grubba

User Info: zinformant

zinformant
3 months ago#5
It's easy to say that so-and-so obscure import is underrated. That's really not accurate; it's just unknown, which I don't see as especially fair to count. Incidentally, one of my favorite games is unarguably underrated (and there's a reason for that)...so much so that I don't think most people here know what it is. Anyway, cruising the bottom of the barrel on Metacritic, how about Cross Edge?
Wasure wa shinai / Egaita kiseki wa honmono no bokura / You'll remember too, Azure Siegfried

SharpX68000
3 months ago#6
zinformant posted...
It's easy to say that so-and-so obscure import is underrated. That's really not accurate; it's just unknown, which I don't see as especially fair to count. Incidentally, one of my favorite games is unarguably underrated (and there's a reason for that)...so much so that I don't think most people here know what it is. Anyway, cruising the bottom of the barrel on Metacritic, how about Cross Edge?

Why isnt it fair? There are games that werent released over here but became well recieved after getting translated to english (Mother 3, Fire Emblem Seisen no Keifu, and Sweet Home).
- Grubba

User Info: ShiryuChaos

ShiryuChaos
3 months ago#7
Lennus is a great game. I tried it but stopped after something like 10 hours. Do not remember why, maybe I was in it. That HP as MP was cool though.
Top10 Final Fantasy VII,Zelda OOT,Dragon Quest IX:Sentinels of the Starry Skies, Lufia 2,BoF III/IV, Custom Robo,SF II,FantasyLife,Pkmn Silver

User Info: Amethyst85

Amethyst85
3 months ago#8
zinformant posted...
It's easy to say that so-and-so obscure import is underrated. That's really not accurate; it's just unknown, which I don't see as especially fair to count.

This. Unknown and little played is not the same underrated.
It is not my job to be right. It is my job to be wrong in new and exciting ways. - James Kennedy
Dame Amethyst - Knight of the Order of Odd-Fish

User Info: Res5

Res5
3 months ago#9
Really though how do you define underrated? It seems like another way to say "a game that got low scores that I like." There's no real metric besides personal opinion to go by and how much it's played doesn't really affect that much.

Like I'd probably throw Growlanser in this topic but it kinda also fits in the "barely played" category as well, or at least seems to from how little anyone talks about it.

User Info: dragoon013

dragoon013
3 months ago#10
I'd agree that there's a big difference between a low-selling/reviewing game (Growlanser) that was available to anyone who wanted to buy it, and import games that can only be gotten with international sales or computer know-how.

Underrated games are of a perfectly subjective nature by definition: the average opinion of X game is lower than my opinion of it. I would argue that no one has underrated Lennus 2 because the number of people that have played it in English-speaking countries is so low that no "average opinion" is available. But we are getting a bit hung up on semantics. It seems clear that what the TC meant is "What games deserve to be valued more highly by the community?" And in that case Lennus 2 is a fine fit, as are Live-A-Live, Treasure of the Rudras, Seiken Densetsu 3, Terranigma, and many other titles that never made it to North America. They are not underrated, however.

I would argue that while this board is fairly receptive to them, the larger world holds Wild Arms 1-3 in much lower esteem than they deserve.
  1. Boards
  2. RPGs - Everything Else
  3. What is the most underrated JRP in your opinion?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived