Is it me or has there been a huge drop off in movie quality the past year

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. Is it me or has there been a huge drop off in movie quality the past year

User Info: Yawn_Master2

Yawn_Master2
1 month ago#1
Dunkirk really stands out as the only movie I've enjoyed the entirety of 2017. I used to love going to the theatre and seeing great movies like the martian, Steve Jobs movies, Star Wars, but it just seems lately there has a been a drought of good cinema.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTlgctCZr7M

User Info: OzymandiasIV

OzymandiasIV
1 month ago#2
The last year? It's been going on longer than that...
Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sort of good at something.

User Info: rockus

rockus
1 month ago#3
Nah, I've found that there tends to always be quality cinema out there. It's just a matter of finding it.

I can think of a number of recent movies that I prefer to Steve Jobs or the recent Star Wars movies, though I did like Force Awakens but didn't care a whole lot for Rogue One. But I also wouldn't name any of those as some of my favorite films of their year or anything. I've also been pretty behind this year on what I've seen and I've had little interest in a lot of big releases this year, more than usual even.
http://thetramp.filmaf.com/owned
http://ReelFilmTome.com

User Info: Marter

Marter
1 month ago#4
No.

Look harder.

User Info: Monopoman

Monopoman
1 month ago#5
Just looking at all the films that have huge budgets will dissapoint, since a lot of crap or at best decent movies are made with huge budgets.

Every year there are great films that go under the radar a bit, Hell or High Water from last year was a solid film and a lot of people did not see it. I also really liked The Nice Guys, a pretty damn good film from last year that did not get a ton of attention. I, Daniel Blake was also a pretty good film, if you can appreciate a pure drama. The Edge of Seventeen was also a pretty entertaining comedy, that I could see most people enjoying.

So yeah every year there are good films out there, but if all you go to the theater to see or watch at home is big budget films with a huge marketing budget then you will be disappointed. Keep in mind that I listed only the films I felt that people might have overlooked, obviously films like Zootopia, The Jungle Book, Deadpool, Moana, Dr. Strange, Civil War were at the very least decent to good but those films everyone has heard of and/or seen.

I realize he TC is talking about 2017 but we aren't done with the year yet, a lot of the best films come out in October-December to fight for Oscar noms.
BF ID: Birck #1559845599
Leads: Erza, Shion, Zeis

User Info: Herrix

Herrix
1 month ago#6
I've noticed this as well. So many reboots, sequels and prequels I've looked forward to have left me disappointed. Examples:

The Alien prequels (Prometheus and Alien Covenant). Though I liked the optimistic tone of Prometheus, I was really hoping for a universe that felt linked to the 1979 Alien. Instead, we got human zombies, an android and aliens that are more advanced than iterations that come later, and a reproductive Alien cycle that acts like a pathogen rather than necessitating a facehugger phase, which is less effective but psychologically scarier.

Batman vs. Superman. I loved Man of Steel and I was hoping this would be Superman's Dark Knight. It just put too many ingredients into the stew.

Robocop (remake). The real tragedy of Alex Murphy is that he loses his memories of his family. Ironically, even though he "dies," they become the ghosts. In the remake, his loss is just physical. Also, Michael Keaton's character becomes evil just because his counterpart in the original was the main villain.

Star Wars the Force Awakens and Rogue One. The Force Awakens just copied elements from the original trilogy and made them less cool. Luke required two movies before he was ready to even fight Vader, and yet the chick from TFA could put up a struggle against a trained Sith with virtually no experience as a Jedi.

Rogue One was ok, but not great. It actually felt like the same universe as the original Star Wars. Moral issue notwithstanding, the artificial Peter Cushing was impressive. But damn it, the main characters had no charisma and I simply didn't give a s*** about them.

However, there are reboots/sequels that I enjoyed. I loved both Amazing Spider-Man movies. I'm also a big fan of the Rocky saga, and Creed didn't disappoint. I'm looking forward to the sequel that (apparently) Sly has hinted at. Evidently Ivan Drago will return to the series. I don't know how that'll play out, but after the last two movies I'm confident it'll be more interesting than "you killed my dad, so here's an uppercut."

User Info: Yawn_Master2

Yawn_Master2
1 month ago#7
rockus posted...
Nah, I've found that there tends to always be quality cinema out there. It's just a matter of finding it.

I can think of a number of recent movies that I prefer to Steve Jobs or the recent Star Wars movies, though I did like Force Awakens but didn't care a whole lot for Rogue One. But I also wouldn't name any of those as some of my favorite films of their year or anything. I've also been pretty behind this year on what I've seen and I've had little interest in a lot of big releases this year, more than usual even.

Like what, you guys aren't giving me much evidence.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTlgctCZr7M

User Info: Vyyk

Vyyk
1 month ago#8
Baby Driver and Logan were both fantastic.

And if you honestly enjoy movie experiences, and aren't just trolling, there's no way you could forget about Bladerunner 2049.
GSV Rest in Peace, Good Man

User Info: rockus

rockus
1 month ago#9
Yawn_Master2 posted...
rockus posted...

Like what, you guys aren't giving me much evidence.

Some of my favorite movies for the year so far have been:

After the Storm, The Beguiled, The Lost City of Z, The Lure, My Life as a Zucchini, The Other Side of Hope, The Salesman, and Baby Driver. I also just saw The Meyerowitz Stories over the weekend and thought it was great.
http://thetramp.filmaf.com/owned
http://ReelFilmTome.com

User Info: Monopoman

Monopoman
1 month ago#10
Okja was also a pretty damn good film that kind of went under the radar thanks to it being released on Netflix only. I also enjoyed Logan Lucky and American Made both are solid movies, Logan Lucky is better though.

Again you need to wait until the year ends since a ton of great movies come out right near the end of the year so the 60+ year olds at the Academy have it fresh in their memories for awards.
BF ID: Birck #1559845599
Leads: Erza, Shion, Zeis
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. Is it me or has there been a huge drop off in movie quality the past year

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived