Did anyone else find Thor Ragnarok kind of annoying?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. Did anyone else find Thor Ragnarok kind of annoying?

User Info: TommyG663513

TommyG663513
1 month ago#11
I never really found the humor all that funny tbh. I chuckled a few times, but yeah it wasn't really for me.

I liked the colorful scenes, action, and the soundtrack though.

I was more disappointed in this film and surprised at the quality of Justice League. That was basically about expectations though and me buying a bit too much into reviews. The reviews made me expect an amazing movie and I don't think I quite got that. I still got a decent/good movie though.
just tell them all your base doesn't belong to us because we were getting stoned...they'll understand-Ken156

User Info: Sir Will

Sir Will
1 month ago#12
TommyG663513 posted...
I was more disappointed in this film and surprised at the quality of Justice League. That was basically about expectations though and me buying a bit too much into reviews. The reviews made me expect an amazing movie and I don't think I quite got that. I still got a decent/good movie though.

You obviously have different tastes than the average.
River Song: Well, I was off to this gay gypsy bar mitzvah for the disabled when I thought 'Gosh, the Third Reich's a bit rubbish, I think i'll kill the Fuhrer'

User Info: vonVile

vonVile
1 month ago#13
It was a plot built around jokes. MCU couldn't make a real Thor movie, so they just remade GOTG by slapping Thor in space and teaming up with a bunch of misfits.
Guardians of the Galaxy ripped off Farscape.

User Info: Alphrin

Alphrin
1 month ago#14
The plot wasn't really built around jokes though, that's why people are feeling such a strange disconnect about the humor. The actual plot is pretty f***ing depressing, probably the most depressing in the MCU. Thor ends up having lost nearly everything and everyone he cares about (and has his eye gouged out as well), Valkyrie is an alcoholic because her entire team was slaughtered before her eyes, Bruce Banner lost his inner battle with the Hulk and spent years of his life murdering captured slaves for the entertainment of some demented authoritarian leader, Odin basically died because he gave up on life, Hela exterminated a massive portion of Asgard's population (in a highly brutal fashion), and to top it all off Asgard is destroyed and the survivors are left to wander space as nomads.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kevin Feige looked at that script and said, "Good god, I'd better have a comedy guy direct this or I'll need to start offering antidepressants with every ticket sold".

(Btw, I feel I should mention that I really loved Thor Ragnarok and enjoyed the discrepancy between the tone and subject matter, but I can see why it would bother some people or remind them of a parody).

User Info: Tivor

Tivor
1 month ago#15
Sir Will posted...
TommyG663513 posted...

You obviously have different tastes than the average.

The guy says that it's about expectations, and he's right. I immensely enjoyed Ragnarok, but after having everybody (myself included) gush praises about it, I can see how someone can be disappointed.

And JL, I too thought it was better than how everybody bashed it. It was still a weak film overall, but not as big of a trainwreck as I was led to believe. JL, despite all its flaws, was still a better film than BvS or SS -- a step in the right direction for DCEU, I thought.
Vin Scully, Herge, Ray K. Metzker, Abelardo Morell, Vik Muniz, Mori Kaoru, Steve Jobs, Depeche Mode, Tim Duncan, John Stockton. RESPECT.

User Info: Alexanaxela

Alexanaxela
1 month ago#16
the weirdest part was when thor's best buddies get killed and it immediately inserts a one liner right after. And then thor never seems to care or even notice they're dead
Tomorrow will be the most beautiful day of Raymond K. Hessel's life. His breakfast will taste better than any meal you and I have ever tasted.

Sir Will
1 month ago#17
Alexanaxela posted...
the weirdest part was when thor's best buddies get killed and it immediately inserts a one liner right after. And then thor never seems to care or even notice they're dead

I suppose there wasn't much of a chance in the movie for such a moment, but still, it does suck that we have no reaction at all over that.
River Song: Well, I was off to this gay gypsy bar mitzvah for the disabled when I thought 'Gosh, the Third Reich's a bit rubbish, I think i'll kill the Fuhrer'
Alexanaxela posted...

Yeah, really didn't like that part at all. Though, Feige responded to it with They will be remembered... so it looks like it could be addressed in Infinity War.
Cover your knees up if you're gonna be walkin' around everywhere.

User Info: pothocket

pothocket
1 month ago#19
Yeah, I hear ya tc. The opening of the movie and the spinning around while chained joke kinda set the tone for the rest of the movie. It felt out of place, like they were trying too hard to be GotG. I mean we kinda knew from the trailers that they were going for a GotG vibe but I didn't think it'd be that bad.
http://www.koalastothemax.com/?aHR0cDovL2kuaW1ndXIuY29tL3pnMGpYWDcuanBn

Sir Will
1 month ago#20
pothocket posted...
Yeah, I hear ya tc. The opening of the movie and the spinning around while chained joke kinda set the tone for the rest of the movie. It felt out of place, like they were trying too hard to be GotG. I mean we kinda knew from the trailers that they were going for a GotG vibe but I didn't think it'd be that bad.

I liked the chain gag the first time. The second was ok. But the third was excessive and killed the joke.
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. Did anyone else find Thor Ragnarok kind of annoying?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived