Holdo, Leia's ****, and Canto Bight were unnecessary and Rian knew it *SPOILERS*

• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. Holdo, Leia's ****, and Canto Bight were unnecessary and Rian knew it *SPOILERS*

User Info: OzymandiasIV

OzymandiasIV
5 days ago#1
**** = coma

Holdo only exists because Rian Johnson wasn't smart enough to write an unwinnable space chase, so he created Holdo to make stupid decisions in Leia's place because he was at least smart enough to know that fans wouldn't accept that s*** from Leia.

What did putting Leia into a coma accomplish structurally? What did she do that Leia couldn't have done (besides f*** it all up)? It necessitated someone else taking charge. And what happened when Holdo took charge? She f***ed up and nearly got the rebellion wiped out. And what happened after Holdo thoroughly f***ed up enough to barely get them on the path to Crait? Leia woke up.

So why was Leia in a coma? Because no one would have accepted that she'd make such colossally stupid mistakes. So swap Leia out for a little bit of screen time and bring her back in once all the bad decisions were made by Holdo.

If Rian Johnson had created a real unwinnable scenario (you know, basic pincer-attack in space, can't believe he couldn't even think of that or anything else), he could have had Leia believably working to save whatever little she could, knowing that it wouldn't be much, if anything, and fans would have been completely on her side. But he had to create an inept character to f*** things up in Leia's place because he couldn't figure out how to write a better chase scene.

And that's not all! An added bonus (for Rian and no one else) was that, by getting rid of Leia for a little bit, he was able to write in that utterly stupid and pointless Canto Bight subplot to fill up a significant portion of the movie's run time. If Leia had been awake and in charge, she wouldn't have refused to tell Poe the plan, and Poe wouldn't have sent Finn to dick around and accomplish nothing.

Holdo was completely unnecessary and was created specifically to stall the plot and create a time-filler sub-plot. Get rid of Holdo, no Canto Bight, and Rian could have had Akbar die a heroic death by piloting the ship into the Dreadnought (though if he had been smart enough to not write a script that necessitated wasted time, he also probably wouldn't have written that stupid kamikaze attack in the movie, either).

AND, had he been competent enough to write the story without Holdo, he probably would have been competent enough to still write better sub-plots about failure that weren't also giant wastes of time.

Search your feelings. You know it's true. Holdo was an utter waste. She was written in to stall for time.
Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sort of good at something.
(edited 5 days ago)

User Info: Revegelance

Revegelance
5 days ago#2
Did you seriously need a new topic just to repeat all of the same nonsense you've been going on about for the last three weeks?
My Mario Maker levels: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/Revegelance
The funniest thing that entered my head today was imagining the Holdo death scene with Admiral Ackbar in her place. Thanks, TC.
Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.

User Info: Zack_Attackv1

Zack_Attackv1
5 days ago#4
I don't have time for this s***.
http://i.imgur.com/aBISXHs.jpg
F##k this movie
PSN: bulletproofvita

User Info: LaManoNeraII

LaManoNeraII
5 days ago#6
Isn't it hilarious (depressing) that the only way their stories work is by sidelining the OT characters?

Kill off Han, don't even use Luke for one of the movies then make him a crazy hermit...who dies, then just make Leia sleep for the majority of her movie and wake up at the end.

If you look at the whole thing, it kind of seems like disdain towards said characters
http://i.imgur.com/WQJlV.png

User Info: cjsdowg

cjsdowg
5 days ago#7
When you think about it..there isn't really much story.

How the space battle was done it was not compelling to watch and from the viewers point of view they were just moving slowly watching ship after ship getting taken out with no plan in site.

If Poe didn't come up with his own plan then the movie with have stayed with the ship just to see the slow death case more.
Bender: Well, everybody, I just saved a turtle. What have you done with your lives?

User Info: Dragonage2ftw

Dragonage2ftw
5 days ago#8
No, they had Holdo replace Leia for a while because Poe wouldn’t pull a mutiny on Leia.
Official Yu Narukami, Incineroar, Parasoul, Sombra, Black Widow, RE5 Jill, Kaede Akamatsu, Kamala Khan, Rehgar, Orisa, R.Mika, 2B, and Power Girl everywhere.

OzymandiasIV
5 days ago#9
Revegelance posted...
Did you seriously need a new topic just to repeat all of the same nonsense you've been going on about for the last three weeks?

Don't have an actual retort?

Fans of the movie have been begging to be shown a legit criticism from the movie and then ignore the ones they can't respond to. Hence the topic, and hence you being the first commenter, and you attack me instead of the argument.

OzymandiasIV
5 days ago#10
Dragonage2ftw posted...
No, they had Holdo replace Leia for a while because Poe wouldn’t pull a mutiny on Leia.

Right. That's not a good defense.
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. Holdo, Leia's ****, and Canto Bight were unnecessary and Rian knew it *SPOILERS*

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Closed