Does the story really matter?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. SoulCalibur VI
  3. Does the story really matter?

User Info: bnmp

bnmp
1 month ago#11
Story adds some value, but it is not a top tier priority.

Most fighting game stories seem to range between somewhat enjoyable to terrible. Even games like MKX and Injustice, the story mode is only good for part of the cast. I haven't even finished T7's story as I don't play Tekken (or SF, MvC, DOA, etc) for the story.

I'd rather have more characters and more modes than a robust story.

User Info: kelror13

kelror13
1 month ago#12
The character profiles give us the reasons why several of the characters are trying to obtain or destroy either Soul Edge or Soul Calibur or both as well as giving to us an insight on their personalities which I found pretty awesome and it is those profiles that made interested about those same characters and the overall series when I read those of Soul Calibur 2 (before I even got the game). It was really a damn shame that the ones of SCV were internet only and not available in game and to be honest I do hope that SCVI will have them in the game itself rather than force the player to look at outside material.
I feel...I feel...I FEEL LIKE...YODELING. -Arthur from Journeyman Project 3

User Info: KrOjah

KrOjah
1 month ago#13
Well, I will try the story mode for SC6, but I doubt I will get far. I managed to get about 3-4 fights into Tekken 7 and IJ2 before getting my mediocre ass online. I probably even preferred story modes when they were simpler: choose a single character > go through multiple opponents until the final boss/player's nemesis. Even back then it was very much more about vs games with buddies for just about everyone I knew.

User Info: Lost7th

Lost7th
1 month ago#14
Yes story matters. What kind of question is that? Story is the reason people still care about these fighters. Story us what separates a character from a function.

User Info: Sir_Punsalot

Sir_Punsalot
1 month ago#15
Story is a good ‘hook’ for your average fan.
No reason to not have one.
PS3, ps4: gamersama (s*** user id I know). PsVita:uae_spetsnaz.
Official hermit of all boards, for I have achieved enlightenment. Thanks Harada.

User Info: Blue7

Blue7
1 month ago#16
I'm not too big on stories in fighting games either. I mean, I'm not opposed to them, but game play is what's most important to me
War:"I never change? **** you! You don't know me!" The Four Horsemen of Apocalypse on Fallout: Tactics

User Info: CrimsonX4

CrimsonX4
1 month ago#17
Yes it does. Soul Calibur was always know for its story and lore.

Yeah SCIV ruined it, SCL and SCBD sucked (thankfully they aren't canon), and SCV was rushed only giving us 1/3 of the intended story.

Still one of the main reasons I appreciate SCV so much is because it tried to salvage the series storytelling and lore. It tried to bring it back to it's roots [SE] and give us a quality storyline for a new generation.

Sadly we will never see the final product and can only read of what it could of been from its Material Artbook, but damn I think it would of been great.

Hopefully SVI can have a better luck at returning the series to its roots.

User Info: El Marsh

El Marsh
1 month ago#18
I love stories in fighting games. After the gameplay and the characters themselves, it's my favorite thing about a given fighter. Games that have weak or nonexistent stories are incomplete imo. It doesn't have to be something mindblowing (there are very few GOOD stories in fighting games imo) but some noticeable effort should be made. I'm rather disturbed by the recent trend of eschewing story "to focus on gameplay." Maybe it's blind nostalgia but I seem to recall a time where developers did both without issue.
http://i.imgur.com/0APl48O.gifv

User Info: PHATJER

PHATJER
1 month ago#19
Fighting games are fundamentally competitive. Two people select a character and then proceed to beat each other to the best of their abilities until one of them wins, preferably in a quick and decisive manner. It’s because of this inherent competitiveness that the Fighting Game Community (FGC) emerged so early on within the genre’s lifespan (mid to late 90s). However, some people don’t care for such interpersonal strife. Some fighting game fans love the genre but don’t wish to partake in those weekly, monthly, or yearly tournaments with thousands of dollars on the line. Rather, they’re perfectly content to stay at home and replay arcade mode a dozen times with different characters they barely understand or play against their siblings or friends on a semi-regular basis. Who are these people? They’re casual players: people who enjoy the fighting game format without being forced to compete, and they make up the lion’s share of the sales for every big fighting game that comes out.

Casual players lay the foundation for a game’s financial success, making them the most important group of people to cater to from a business perspective. Developers know this and have recently become more obvious than usual about doing so. Some of them make the mistake of believing that dumbing down their game for the sake of “accessibility” will do the trick, even though the success of many fighting games of the past have shown that it isn’t necessary. Rather, there are two key things that casual players look for in a fighting game: graphics and single-player content.

Graphics is self-explanatory. It stands to reason that a casual player of a genre is more likely to ignore a game in a series they have no prior experience with if isn’t pretty enough. As shallow as it may seem, first impressions mean a lot in gaming, as we all likely know.

However, single-player content is what keeps them playing after they’re initially hooked in. This doesn’t apply to just casual players, either. Even the hardcore enthusiasts appreciate single-player modes to practice their execution or to just simply take a break from hours of online ranked matches, where their standing on the leaderboards is constantly at risk. After all, there’s nothing to really lose when fighting AI (except, on occasion, your patience). Sometimes it’s just less taxing and more fun to start arcade mode with a character you’re not used to and see how far you can get with them. It can even be rewarding in ways that online multiplayer isn’t, by either helping you discover a new character to main or co-main, or by simply unlocking bonus content.

The main purpose of offline content is to reward the player for simply playing the game. That’s it. And the better they play it, the more rewards they get. It’s a simple, straightforward formula that rarely fails. This is where casual players, and players in general, get their satisfaction. They play arcade or story modes and are rewarded with character epilogues. They play Treasure Battle and are rewarded with customization items and more fight money. They play Weapon Master and are rewarded with costumes, weapons, and movies. However, if a game offers nothing like any of these, then what satisfaction is there for them to achieve? Forcing them to play online against people who might annihilate them until they decide to take the game “seriously” isn’t likely to be their idea of fun, especially if the game’s netcode and/or matchmaking is spotty. They want options; namely, options available to them without a second player being mandatory.

If a developer wishes to turn today’s casuals into tomorrow’s pros, they don’t need to dumb their mechanics down or change them to encourage questionable habits. Instead, they’re going to need to create the content that convinces the casual players to keep playing the game in the first place (among other things, such as tutorials).
PSN: Ao_Iconoclast
Xbox Live Gamertag: PHATJER

User Info: NaclynE

NaclynE
1 month ago#20
Well it seemed like the franchise had a decent story (until V ><). Edge was about Sophitia questing to stop the swrod from doing evil stuff while being in the hands of Cervantes. Taki becomes the savior when she beats Cerventes but is hurt in the process. However meanwhile Sigfried killed his dad because he I believe was exposed to a shard of soul edge. out of grief he quested to find the sword. after Taki saved Sophitia Soul Edge took it's true form and fights Sigfried. Sigfried defeats it but becomes possessed and becomes Knightmare. Xang Hua stops him from destroying the world and it triggers Sigfried's dad forgiving him for him killing him. Sigfried tries to end it all but realizes the remaining pieces of his armor and the soul edge sword became it's own being. It is also the target of an old holder Algol and a person desiring it's power named Zalslamel. Sigfried gains soul Calibur from Xang Hua who lost it to Soul Edge post SC 1. Sigfried fully awakens the soul caliburs power in IV and finally defeats Soul Edge's true true form. Years later Sophitia's daughter who was raised by Tira is influenced to do things for evil while Patroklas who is Sophitia's son quests to do what is right. Eventually, the two duke it out and awaken their powers and Patroklas comes out to be on top and tries to end everything and supposedly does.

It seemed like it centers around Sigfried while having Sophitia and Knightmare as important side characters. Sadly after Soul Edge Cervantes becomes unimportant. I was hoping Zalslamel would become important but he takes the back seat in 4 and 5. Hopefully, Zalslamel will be treated better in VI if he's in it.
Xbox360 handle: Skitz Gaea. PS3, PS4 handle: NaclynE102
  1. Boards
  2. SoulCalibur VI
  3. Does the story really matter?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived