Recommended attribute points for a Paladin?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
  3. Recommended attribute points for a Paladin?

User Info: GriffinHeart

GriffinHeart
6 years ago#11
Well, belts are convenient to spread among your party members to give them a bit of extra punch where needed, but if it's your main character you're concerned about it can be a good strategy to raise his/hers permanently.

I'd also use a belt if I can't get a good roll for ****. Paladins being required to have at least 17 CHA is pretty bad, but I've managed to roll a good one with excess points to put into INT.
I like to think that my bard sings Manowar songs.

User Info: Latronis

Latronis
6 years ago#12
Don't forget a fixpacked game will have hell having you lose status if you take an evil tear.
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o160/The_Original_Latronis/33865d18.jpg

User Info: Zeran_kariashi

Zeran_kariashi
6 years ago#13
Doesn't matter if it's fix packed or not, if you choose any evil choice, you become neutral evil and gain Fallen status, which turns you into a plain fighter that takes 30% longer to level and can't go beyond **. And can NEVER be fixed. You get one shot in the entire game to fix Fallen status, and if you're in Hell, that chance is long gone. (Technically if you're already fallen and choose all good choices you will regain your abilities, but that still means you're not getting the +3 str)

I mention it as due to the fact he sounds like he's not importing a pally, but making one in BG2. Since he's a pally he can't choose the +3 str in hell, which means he'll never exceed the 22 str from the strength belt (21 with all bonus from 18 str), at best breaking even (if imported with 19 str), at least not without spells, and if he chooses inquisitor, then that won't happen.

Also, since he's a paladin, you can't be a friggin' half orc so there was no reason to bring them up.

My comment is actually 100% correct in the above regard, if you didn't import your pally, you WILL replace str with a belt, since there's no reason to play a pally if you don't use Carsomyr/Purifier (No 22 str weapons), or plan to take the +3 str in hell.

Yes personally, I like the belt of inertial barrier, but rolling decent stats for a pally takes FOREVER, which is why I recommended using belts in the first place. 2ndly, the belt, much like PfME, only works on spells that deal magical damage...so...MM, Skull trap, Horrid wilting....

Since he sounds fairly new to the game, I'm trying to keep it simple and straight forward. Heck, he didn't even know what power gaming was, so obviously he probably isn't going to know how to hand craft a solo game-slaying beast of doooooom.

User Info: valkod23

valkod23
6 years ago#14
Zeran_kariashi posted...
Doesn't matter if it's fix packed or not, if you choose any evil choice, you become neutral evil and gain Fallen status, which turns you into a plain fighter that takes 30% longer to level and can't go beyond **. And can NEVER be fixed. You get one shot in the entire game to fix Fallen status, and if you're in Hell, that chance is long gone. (Technically if you're already fallen and choose all good choices you will regain your abilities, but that still means you're not getting the +3 str)

I mention it as due to the fact he sounds like he's not importing a pally, but making one in BG2. Since he's a pally he can't choose the +3 str in hell, which means he'll never exceed the 22 str from the strength belt (21 with all bonus from 18 str), at best breaking even (if imported with 19 str), at least not without spells, and if he chooses inquisitor, then that won't happen.

Also, since he's a paladin, you can't be a friggin' half orc so there was no reason to bring them up.

My comment is actually 100% correct in the above regard, if you didn't import your pally, you WILL replace str with a belt, since there's no reason to play a pally if you don't use Carsomyr/Purifier (No 22 str weapons), or plan to take the +3 str in hell.

Yes personally, I like the belt of inertial barrier, but rolling decent stats for a pally takes FOREVER, which is why I recommended using belts in the first place. 2ndly, the belt, much like PfME, only works on spells that deal magical damage...so...MM, Skull trap, Horrid wilting....

Since he sounds fairly new to the game, I'm trying to keep it simple and straight forward. Heck, he didn't even know what power gaming was, so obviously he probably isn't going to know how to hand craft a solo game-slaying beast of doooooom.

I got so tired of rolling that I just caved and did the whole ctrl+8 bit to save me time during character creation. Is it cheating? Maybe, but so is Ranger/Cleric getting all those spells, and Kensai/Thief wearing Full Platemail +2 and wielding Carsomyr could count as well with UAI.

Zeran_kariashi
6 years ago#15
Yes that's cheating. Obviously.

Ranger/Cleric with druid/priest spells is an engine oversight, so cheese.

Kensai/thief with UAI is just smart use of class abilities/perks. (Kensai/mage can wear robes with AC bonus no problem (Basically chainmail), and even then is MUCH deadlier then a K/T ever could be.)

User Info: valkod23

valkod23
6 years ago#16
Zeran_kariashi posted...
Yes that's cheating. Obviously.

Ranger/Cleric with druid/priest spells is an engine oversight, so cheese.

Kensai/thief with UAI is just smart use of class abilities/perks. (Kensai/mage can wear robes with AC bonus no problem (Basically chainmail), and even then is MUCH deadlier then a K/T ever could be.)

Eh, my CHARNAME can still get his healthbar rapidly depleted if an enemy spellcaster gets off a lucky shot, and they always do. Like a disintegrate spell landing and passing the check, time to reload.

Using an engine oversight is cheese/cheating, no matter which way you try and paint it, I'm just honest in my cheating.

Latronis
6 years ago#17
ofc it matters if its fixpacked. taking an evil tear vanilla only turns you neutral evil. You retain the paladin status

Zeran_kariashi
6 years ago#18
Untrue. I've never used the fixpack and always fallen on picking any evil choice. And this is un-modded final patch only game.

Though you don't fall when slotting the tear it falls the instant you make an evil choice to be granted a tear.

*possible spoilers*

During my first pally (un-modded game) I chose the cloak cause I didn't know what all the choices gave. He immediately becomes fallen and loses all abilities but stayed Lawful Good (same thing happens on any evil choice, after killing the djinn, after killing the dragon, just being aggressive to sarevok, refusing sacrifice, etc. I kinda panicked a little bit, but did all the other things good hoping it would restore me, but when I socketed the tear from the bravery it made me neutral evil.

Rep was still full 20 afterward so it wasn't from somehow getting evil rep during the trial.

Latronis
6 years ago#19
http://www.baldurdash.org/SoAfix/FixedBG2TearsOfBhaalTestPaladin&RangerFalling.zip

Care to explain why a fix exists in baldurdash to make rangers and paladins fall if they already did? (although the cloak one may have been the only auto-fall it does sound familiar)

Zeran_kariashi
6 years ago#20
Well...I will confess the only 3 I've actually tested are the Cloak, the Genie, and showing your wrath will cause them to fall. Not sure about the rest.
  1. Boards
  2. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
  3. Recommended attribute points for a Paladin?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived