This game, successor to goldeneye64?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. TimeSplitters
  3. This game, successor to goldeneye64?

User Info: RatB20

RatB20
2 years ago#1
I remember when Timesplitters launched hearing the creators of goldeneye made this. Is this true?
"Americans are too in love with the sound of their own voice to speak the truth."
- Revolver Ocelot

User Info: Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon
2 years ago#2
Some of the Goldeneye developers, yes. Though Timesplitters isn't really Goldeneye-like, as TS is faster paced, there's no optional stealth, the single player levels are very simple (TS is very much multiplayer first, with single player being a shallow addon), and the need/opportunity to explore in Timsplitters is almost non-existent.

However Timesplitters 2, and Timesplitters 3 (known as Timesplitters: Future Perfect) are *much* better, and also more like Goldeneye. Timesplitters: Future Perfect is my favourite FPS of it's generation, though many people prefer TS2 to TS:FP. But I doubt many people would rate TS1 as highly, as it's overly simplistic. Not a bad game, but it's sequels are much, much better in almost every way, and if you like Goldeneye (or first person shooters in general), then you should get TS2 and TS: Future Perfect, and if you like them, then maybe get TS1 too. You don't need to have played one game to play it's sequel, as the story (which is almost non-existant in TS1) doesn't really continue from game to game.

Also, TS2 and Future Perfect are on the original XBox and Gamecube, whereas TS1 is PS2 only.
I'm a PC and console gamer - I love good games, regardless of their host system.
For all things N64: http://z9.invisionfree.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/

User Info: Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon
2 years ago#3
BTW the closest Goldeneye had to a sequel was Perfect Dark on the N64, later ported to the XBox 360 (NOT the XBox exclusive Perfect Dark Zero, which was very disappointing, I mean Perfect Dark XBLA, which is the port of Perfect Dark from the N64).

Even after all this time, Perfect Dark is my favourite game (that's not nostalgia, as I still play it from time to time), and Goldeneye is my second favourite. To me, no other first person shooters even come close.

By the way, if you like game mods (fan made alterations of games), then Goldeneye X is a project to bring Goldeneye to Perfect Dark's engine, so that you have Goldeneye with all of the advantages of Perfect Dark, such as sims (bots) in multiplayer, weather effects, better artificial intelligence in the enemies, in-game speech, and so on. Currently it's only the multiplayer that's (almost) finished, but you now have all of the GE weapons and levels, plus bots, and some extra levels, and it's *fantastic*). Most of the single player levels have been added, but for now you can only explore them, as there are no enemies or objectives in place, unlike the multiplayer which is more or less complete.

To read more about it, go to: http://www.goldeneyevault.com/viewfile.php?id=202
I'm a PC and console gamer - I love good games, regardless of their host system.
For all things N64: http://z9.invisionfree.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/
  1. Boards
  2. TimeSplitters
  3. This game, successor to goldeneye64?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived