This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

This is a bad argument for raising minimum wage

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. This is a bad argument for raising minimum wage

User Info: Shmashed

Shmashed
3 years ago#1
http://imgur.com/gallery/N6o1w

Just saw this on facebook.

A person would then conceivably realize that this is what nearly two million people in the United States do every day…at much harder jobs than turning a crank. This turns the piece into a simple, yet effective argument for raising the minimum wage.
Literally.

User Info: CyborgSage00x0

CyborgSage00x0
3 years ago#2
It's not bad per se, but it's more trying to show that the value of minimum wage is arbitrary and completely within our scope to raise/change as we please.
Currently playing: Borderlands 2, LoL, Super Mario 3DS, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Pokemon White 2, NSMB3DS.

User Info: funkeepick

funkeepick
3 years ago#3
Why is it bad? Because it's making a moral argument instead of a purely economic one?
"I will never post on 261 again if Ron Paul doesn't get 500 delegates at the very least."
~FPSIreland

User Info: CC Ricers

CC Ricers
3 years ago#4
CyborgSage00x0 posted...
It's not bad per se, but it's more trying to show that the value of minimum wage is arbitrary

I would agree with that. The only argument I can see defending it is that it somehow fits closely with the break even point of profits. On a corporate level, yeah that can be measured, such as Walmart because their profit margins are low due to the prices they offer. But I can't see how it can be applied to a state-wide level.
with Santorum in the White House immoral acts like Sandy Hook and the Aurora Massacre would not have happened. -Bored troll looking to tango

User Info: Nitro378

Nitro378
3 years ago#5
Lol at the number of anti-poor comments in that link, it looks like the neoliberal propaganda machine is working as intended.
Zombie Clement Attlee 2015
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss300/Tails82x/SFD/sadchromeo6.png

User Info: starjackerseth

starjackerseth
3 years ago#6
...Was there supposed to be an argument in that paragraph?
I must know the source!!!
I'm not one for accusations, but, this one's cast iron.

User Info: JOExHIGASHI

JOExHIGASHI
3 years ago#7
That is a bad argument

Turning a crank for 8 hours straight is different than being a cashier or flipping burgers.

The crank is physically more strenuous so people value the work higher
Discipline is remembering what you want

User Info: Evil Genius 9

Evil Genius 9
3 years ago#8
It's not really an argument, it's just meant to help you understand how s****y the minimum wage is. Even if it was raised to $9, you'd still only get a penny every 4 seconds instead of 5.
---

User Info: Shmashed

Shmashed
3 years ago#9
It's a bad argument because why don't we just let the machine spit out dollars instead of pennies? People will soon realize that a lot of jobs make far less doing much harder work than turning a crank!

Oh yeah, because turning the crank on the machine isn't an actual job.
Literally.

User Info: starjackerseth

starjackerseth
3 years ago#10
jejasin posted...

Oh yeah, because turning the crank on the machine isn't an actual job.

It used to be, but then it was outsourced.
I must know the source!!!
I'm not one for accusations, but, this one's cast iron.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. This is a bad argument for raising minimum wage

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived