This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I still don't know why gays consider President Obama an ally.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. I still don't know why gays consider President Obama an ally.

User Info: C_Mat

C_Mat
4 years ago#1
He was in favor of gay marriage when he ran for Senate in 2006, then against it when he ran for President in 2008, then in favor again when he ran for President again in 2012. He calls his views evolving, but they're just revolving. It's incredibly obvious that he only cares about the gay crowd as much as it's going to help him win an election, and if supporting them would hurt his chances, he'll stab them in the back. The same with Bill Clinton; he signed the Defense of Marriage Act himself which had bipartisan support in Congress, then 15 years later when it's popular to be in favor of gay marriage, he decides it is unconstitutional.

To any gay people out there: it's alright to appreciate that you have a president who supports your right to marry each other at the moment. But if you think Obama actually cares about you, I've got a bridge in Benghazi I'd like to sell you.
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk

User Info: Jayjs20

Jayjs20
4 years ago#2
I think most people already know that the pro-gay marriage side give him tons of money, so at least on this issue, the whole thing's pretty transparent.
http://www.satirealley.com/images/Anime/anigif4.gif

User Info: wally

wally
4 years ago#3
1) Bill Clinton was actually very PRO gay rights. DOMA was the alternative to a constitutional gay marriage ban, and DADT was a big improvement over the status quo.
2) If you have to choose between the side that supports you in order to benefit and the side that considers you hellspawn and evil incarnate... it seems fairly obvious to me.
Home is behind, the world ahead. And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night, until the stars are all alight

User Info: Nitro378

Nitro378
4 years ago#4
You may as well just replace gays in the title with 'liberals' in general.
Zombie Clement Attlee 2015 --- (Zombie) FDR/Sanders 2016
If you want friends in Washington, get a lobbyist - me

User Info: NoName999

NoName999
4 years ago#5
I still don't know why ANYONE consider the GOP an ally.
"This grass feels funny," Kirby thought. It feels like.... pants

User Info: gogues

gogues
4 years ago#6
He's probably done more for gay rights than any president before him. That's why they consider him an ally. Especially when the other other party that they could realistically support is actively wanting to take rights away from them. He was also never against it, as a political position. He said that he did not agree with it personally but thought that gays should still have the same legal rights as everyone else in 2008.

It's incredibly obvious that he only cares about the gay crowd as much as it's going to help him win an election, and if supporting them would hurt his chances, he'll stab them in the back.

That's like. . . every politician with every position, ever. Of course, in 2013, when he no longer had an election to win, he was still moving to have DOMA declared unconstitutional.

User Info: Goldice

Goldice
4 years ago#7
Actually I'd argue him being against it was the lie to try to win "purple" states.

And I'd argue Clinton did a lot for gay rights, possibly more than Obama. It's easy to forget now, but DOMA was a gay rights triumph compared to the alternate.
2012-2013 New England Patriots: 10-3

User Info: theSMITHS

theSMITHS
4 years ago#8
Whatever it takes to look good, just like Clinton (who once flexed his conservative law and order muscle by leaving the campaign trail to preside over the execution in Arkansas of a brain damaged black man who had been convicted of murder by an all white jury. Prison records showed that during his last days the condemned, Ricky Rector, was barking and dancing and saying he was going to vote for Clinton.

Charles Taylor at Salon noted, “The execution went horribly wrong, with Rector's arm finally being slashed to insert a catheter when a vein for the lethal injection could not be found. (Rector was clearly unable to comprehend what was happening -- thinking that his executioners were doctors coming to his aid, he attempted to assist them.)"

http://www.blueoregon.com/2008/04/president-clint/

So yeah, when you contrast Bubba with the party that's even further out there I guess he does look "good" to some.
http://dirtywars.org/

User Info: General_Juma

General_Juma
4 years ago#9
NoName999 posted...
I still don't know why ANYONE consider the GOP an ally.

Big Business?
You forgot "Daenerys going to Westeros? Yeah, that's 100% going to happen." Brett8

User Info: lasthero

lasthero
4 years ago#10
He calls his views evolving, but they're just revolving.

Evolution just means change. So...
X-Men: First Class RPG - Welcoming all new players!
[http://s1.zetaboards.com/New_Mutants/index/]
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. I still don't know why gays consider President Obama an ally.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived