This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So San Rafael, California banned smoking in your own home....

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. So San Rafael, California banned smoking in your own home....

User Info: Slim_CTAS

Slim_CTAS
4 years ago#1
.....but apparently that's nothing new.

http://www.prlog.org/12247134-san-rafael-bans-smoking-at-home-but-thats-nothing-new.html

San Rafael in California has banned any smoking in dwellings that share a wall with another unit, including apartments, duplexes, condominiums, and row houses.

More than a dozen years ago, public interest law professor John Banzhaf developed the strategy of asking judges to issue orders banning all smoking at home to protect children involved in custody battles from the deadly dangers of secondhand tobacco smoke. Today, such orders have been issued - and are continuing to be issued - in the overwhelming majority of states, and sometimes even abroad.

In addition, Banzhaf petitioned states to ban smoking in homes occupied by foster children to protect them from the smoke, and to protect taxpayers from the enormous excess medical costs smoking costs them. More than a dozen states have now done so.
Do you think these court rulings over the last 12 years are too far? Or were they okay, but this blanket ban on "homes that 'share a wall'" is too far?

It all started out "FOR THE CHILDREN" of course, as all things like this tend to do. My problem here is that you can use this sort of justification for pretty much anything, and its a hilarious farce to say "you're befouling the communal air and therefore we're stripping you of your right to do whatever you want in your own home, meanwhile the coal plant down the road that kills thousands and thousands of people who have never assumed any risk every year is totally cool."

You're a crappy parent if you chainsmoke in front of your kids. That's a fact. But I really don't think its anyone's damn business. You're a much much much crappier parent if you only feed them fast food, and no one is calling for bans on doing that.

Anecdotal, but I've lived in crappy apartments across the hall from people who smoke in them and you don't smell a damn thing. You can barely smell it when they're blazing up, for heaven's sake. And its not like we had really great seals or amazing doors, either. My gf is allergic/supersensitive to something in it, and she never has had a problem.

Blah.
http://freeblago.forumotion.com/f1-the-blago-lounge
The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.

User Info: Nitro378

Nitro378
4 years ago#2
No idea what the logic behind this decision is, but banning smoking in the home with kids living there is absolutely fair.
Owen Jones 2015 --- Warren/Sanders 2016
Number of 30-day suspensions received for attacking Zionism: 2

User Info: kidpokerfan

kidpokerfan
4 years ago#3
lol progressives™

"BAN CIGARETTES, BAN FAST FOOD, BAN GUNS, BAN SUGARY DRINKS, LEGALIZE MARIJUANA!"

User Info: Slim_CTAS

Slim_CTAS
4 years ago#4
No idea what the logic behind this decision is, but banning smoking in the home with kids living there is absolutely fair.

Again, making your kids eat a diet of 75% fast food is infinitely worse. That is utterly indisputable fact. Do you support mandated nutritional programs for all children, what would amount to parental licensing, and random regular health and fridge/pantry check visits by the authorities?
http://freeblago.forumotion.com/f1-the-blago-lounge
The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.

User Info: TaiIs82

TaiIs82
4 years ago#5

"Stay out of my bedroom!...But ban smoking because I don't like it!"
Hero/Legend of 261. Lover of life, free speech, etc.
Providing trickle-down knowledge since 2009

User Info: Magus1947

Magus1947
4 years ago#6
People who don't like it can move to a different city. Free market at work™.
In the corrupted currents of this world, offence's gilded hand may shove by justice, and oft 'tis seen the wicked prize itself buys out the law

User Info: Monolith1676

Monolith1676
4 years ago#7
Join us in liberal California Slim, we know what is best for you.
XBOX Live GT: For Blood
Gears of War 1 Assassination Legend

User Info: J_sizzle222

J_sizzle222
4 years ago#8
I'm a liberal who absolutely despises smoking but this is wrong and i can't believe they can get away with this.
"In my honest opinion, mine is the only honest opinion" - Stephen Colbert.

User Info: DAM 1

DAM 1
4 years ago#9
Decayed California™
Osama Bin Laden: World Hide N' Seek Champion 2001 - 2011
"I herp, therefore I derp"

User Info: Genesis Dragon

Genesis Dragon
4 years ago#10
While I loathe smoking and think it should be minimized as much as possible, I don't think this can be allowed.
Politics is weird. And creepy. And now I know lacks even the loosest attachment to anything like reality. -Shepard Smith
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. So San Rafael, California banned smoking in your own home....

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived