This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

religion brings progress!

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. religion brings progress!

User Info: FunWithAFryPan

FunWithAFryPan
3 years ago#31
Jimayo posted...
InfiniteOpening posted...
Christianity is much better than the Paganism of Europe.

Questionable. I doubt we'd be a sexually repressed society if we celebrated sex like pagans did.

Only some dimensions of our society are repressed. Other dimensions are hyper-sexual and would make these pagans blush.
He who strikes with meaning is killed by meaning.

FunWithAFryPan
3 years ago#32
KenZoe posted...
Answered no, but technically it would have to be yes - seeing that religion cause wars, which brings progress.

This is impossible to know with any certainty. Humans are remarkably violent and there's no reason to think that religion is the cause of any of it.

User Info: InfiniteOpening

InfiniteOpening
3 years ago#33
the final bahamut posted...

And your ancestral culture wouldn't exist without the sex-obsessed Babylonians and Assyrians. I don't really see what either of those facts have to do with the current discussion.

Actually, it's the other way around. Babylonian and Assyrian cultures wouldn't exist without Persian influence (e.g., from the Susa - the proto-Elamites).

Benjamin Franklin.
No.

Get educated.

Benjamin Franklin didn't have half the genius of Nikola Tesla.

Being sex crazed doesn't make one stupid, but there is a higher probability of having more awareness when you're not obsessive about sex. That's all I'm saying.

User Info: Jimayo

Jimayo
3 years ago#34
FunWithAFryPan posted...
KenZoe posted...
Answered no, but technically it would have to be yes - seeing that religion cause wars, which brings progress.

This is impossible to know with any certainty. Humans are remarkably violent and there's no reason to think that religion is the cause of any of it.

Wow, that's a stretch.
261 - More troll food than any other board on the net.
What the right sounds like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rYqF_BtIwAU

User Info: Nitro378

Nitro378
3 years ago#35
Being sex crazed doesn't make one stupid, but there is a higher probability of having more awareness when you're not obsessive about sex. That's all I'm saying.

Socially stunted and borderline autistic =/= more intelligent

I mean Einstein for one was a sex freak
Owen Jones 2015 --- Warren/Sanders 2016
Number of 30-day suspensions received for talking about Zionism: 3

User Info: RedZaraki

RedZaraki
3 years ago#36
Peaceful religions I feel are a benefit to the world. It's only when people weaponize them and use them to attack others is it a negative force. The same could be said of many things.

Ultimately though, I wouldn't elect a priest to lead a country.
Wolf Baron

User Info: InfiniteOpening

InfiniteOpening
3 years ago#37
Nitro378 posted...

Socially stunted and borderline autistic =/= more intelligent

I mean Einstein for one was a sex freak

How is not being sex crazed equivalent to being stunted and borderline autistic?

FunWithAFryPan
3 years ago#38
Jimayo posted...
FunWithAFryPan posted...
KenZoe posted...

Wow, that's a stretch.

Not really.
the final bahamut 3 years ago#39

Actually, it's the other way around. Babylonian and Assyrian cultures wouldn't exist without Persian influence (e.g., from the Susa - the proto-Elamites).

So considering that Susa was obedient to a Sumerian god - incidentally, one of the ones who had prostitute priest and priestesses - and that all of its culture is an imitation of Uruk culture, I'm very curious as to how on Earth you're coming to the conclusion that they influenced the Sumerians and not the other way around.

Benjamin Franklin didn't have half the genius of Nikola Tesla.

You're one of those people who think Nikola Tesla had a legitimate idea for how to make free, unlimited energy, aren't you? And anyway, Charles Babbage out-geniuses Nikola Tesla easy.
Faciendere id pro RAVz.
DISCLAIMER: I'm not accountable for this post. I don't know English I just hit keys at random.

User Info: Jimayo

Jimayo
3 years ago#40
FunWithAFryPan posted...
Jimayo posted...
FunWithAFryPan posted...
KenZoe posted...

Wow, that's a stretch.

Not really.

Yes, to say that religion has never had any impact on war. Even given that few leaders start wars for actual religious reasons, it is asinine to suggest they would get such widespread support for things like the crusades, the spanish inquisition, the salem witch trials or 9/11 without calling upon people's faith.
261 - More troll food than any other board on the net.
What the right sounds like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rYqF_BtIwAU
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. religion brings progress!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived