This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

religion brings progress!

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. religion brings progress!

User Info: FunWithAFryPan

FunWithAFryPan
3 years ago#91
Jimayo posted...
No, because I've read the holy books. They don't call for tolerance and cooperation.

Um, like... at all?

Are you trolling me or something? I don't get it.
He who strikes with meaning is killed by meaning.

User Info: Jimayo

Jimayo
3 years ago#92
FunWithAFryPan posted...
Jimayo posted...
No, because I've read the holy books. They don't call for tolerance and cooperation.

Um, like... at all?

Between eachother, sure, but intolerance and oppression of unbelievers is called for(not to mention subjugation of women).

Are you trolling me or something? I don't get it.

Are you clueless or something. The horrible things the religious are ordered to carry out in their holy books are somehow never responsible for people who actually carry those things out.
261 - More troll food than any other board on the net.
What the right sounds like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rYqF_BtIwAU

FunWithAFryPan
3 years ago#93
I just don't see many people carrying out the "orders" in the Bible to stone people for working on the Sabbath. You haven't sufficiently demonstrated how religion makes people more violent than they would otherwise be. I mean, you can't demonstrate that. It's impossible. So why posture that way? It doesn't make any sense, which is why I can't tell if you're joking or what.

User Info: Orange Clockwork

Orange Clockwork
3 years ago#94
Not sure if it makes people more violent, but if it gets to the point where religion holds back scientific development and damages mankind's progression, then religion needs to take a step back.
If you build a man a fire, he is warm for the rest of the night.
If you set a man on fire, he is warm for the rest of his life.

User Info: Jimayo

Jimayo
3 years ago#95
FunWithAFryPan posted...
I just don't see many people carrying out the "orders" in the Bible to stone people for working on the Sabbath. You haven't sufficiently demonstrated how religion makes people more violent than they would otherwise be. I mean, you can't demonstrate that. It's impossible. So why posture that way? It doesn't make any sense, which is why I can't tell if you're joking or what.

And I don't know how you can possibly believe they would fly planes into buildings without religion.
261 - More troll food than any other board on the net.
What the right sounds like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rYqF_BtIwAU

FunWithAFryPan
3 years ago#96
Jimayo posted...
FunWithAFryPan posted...

And I don't know how you can possibly believe they would fly planes into buildings without religion.

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. In fact, it's plainly obvious that you don't understand what I'm saying because you're trying to refute claims that I never made. I can't put it in simpler terms. Religion doesn't make people more violent than they otherwise would be. If every religion *poofed* out of existence right now, you'd still get people killing each other over and over and over again. If religion had never existed at all in the first place you'd still have war, depravity, torture, and murder.

User Info: Orange Clockwork

Orange Clockwork
3 years ago#97
Yet religion is a pretty strong vehicle to get people inspired and organized to conduct violence. Are you denying there are a whole bunch of legit fundamentalists who belong to groups who conduct violence in the name of their self described religious ideology? Not all of them are just criminals who are looking for a thrill.
If you build a man a fire, he is warm for the rest of the night.
If you set a man on fire, he is warm for the rest of his life.

User Info: mizukage2

mizukage2
3 years ago#98

Yes, I've already acknowledged that the leaders(the pope and such) weren't really motivated by religion. But then why did they rally the masses with religion if the real reasons would of started the crusades anyway?

It is a lot easier to convince someone to risk their life if you can convince them that dying while doing the dangerous thing will get them a reserved seat in eternal paradise (and that you get points for doing it without dying to).
I mean, i never see the right bash the left on anything because the blame game causes more issues than anything-Josh

FunWithAFryPan
3 years ago#99
Orange Clockwork posted...
Yet religion is a pretty strong vehicle to get people inspired and organized to conduct violence. Are you denying there are a whole bunch of legit fundamentalists who belong to groups who conduct violence in the name of their self described religious ideology? Not all of them are just criminals who are looking for a thrill.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Yes, there are fundamentalist groups that exist to organize violent people and incite them against others, but that doesn't refute the point I'm making. Groups like this would still exist even if there was no religion. We know this because there are already secular groups that organize people in the same exact way.

Also, it's funny that you mention fundamentalism, since that specifically means that very few religious people actually organize themselves to do violence. We're talking fractions of a percent.

This is the same s---ty mentality people had when John Lennon was killed because MDC claimed he was inspired to kill him after reading Catcher in the Rye. The book was banned and carries that stigma forever. Would any of you argue that Catcher in the Rye killed John Lennon? No, not unless you're idiots.

User Info: Jolteon

Jolteon
3 years ago#100
I've got to say, while tfb does more-than-occasionally come off as arrogant, he's kept his cool and proven himself a LOT less judgmental and narrow-minded than you, Infinite.

Take a step back, re-read the things that you've said in this thread, and I hope you will feel a little less secure in your sense of righteousness.
Is this finally a conundrum that CAN'T be solved by helicopter theft?
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. religion brings progress!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived