This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Hey Trolls: This is what the Election look like adjusted for PPL - not Land Mass

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Hey Trolls: This is what the Election look like adjusted for PPL - not Land Mass

User Info: ClayGuida

ClayGuida
5 months ago#71
What are you basing your stance on? When have people not given a s*** about farmers? The dust bowl? 1908?
lolAmerica

User Info: PraetorXyn

PraetorXyn
5 months ago#72
ClayGuida posted...
What are you basing your stance on? When have people not given a s*** about farmers? The dust bowl? 1908?

Politicians care about votes. Period. There aren't enough farmers to be worth even addressing in a national popular vote sysrem. They would just hit every major metropolitan area and its suburbs.

I'm not saying anyone would be malicious to farmers, but it doesn't matter if they're affected negatively deliberately or because people that aren't farmers have no idea what farmers deal with, the result is the same.
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png

ClayGuida
5 months ago#73
But again, what is this fear based on? Point to examples since I'm clearly ignorant to this issue. When have they suffered because the government wasn't on their side? What did they lose? Subsidies? I just don't get your stance here.
lolAmerica

User Info: PraetorXyn

PraetorXyn
5 months ago#74
ClayGuida posted...
But again, what is this fear based on? Point to examples since I'm clearly ignorant to this issue. When have they suffered because the government wasn't on their side? What did they lose? Subsidies? I just don't get your stance here.

There isn't one because our current system gives them a voice. I'm just empathetic to rural Americans and farmers because I came from rural America and my family were mostly farmers, doing well not to come in at a loss every year. Where are the examples of urban Americans getting screwed over in our current system? They seem to get what they want some of the time, just like rural Americans do, which is pretty fair.
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png

User Info: nobleisthyname

nobleisthyname
5 months ago#75
I don't understand why it has to be the EC system or straight popular vote. There are better systems out there.
http://i.imgur.com/q9ZP3.jpg http://i.imgur.com/rBKxd.gif

User Info: tankboy

tankboy
5 months ago#76
If you look at the original map TC posted, you see the huge swell that is NJ, seemingly over-represented. Not surprising, since NJ is the most densely populated state.
Yet, despite it's pop-culture reputation, NJ is a huge agricultural state. It has over 9,000 farms and is a top-10 national producer of fruits and vegetables.
So, explain again how farmers are not represented?

ClayGuida
5 months ago#77
PraetorXyn posted...
ClayGuida posted...

There isn't one because our current system gives them a voice. I'm just empathetic to rural Americans and farmers because I came from rural America and my family were mostly farmers, doing well not to come in at a loss every year. Where are the examples of urban Americans getting screwed over in our current system? They seem to get what they want some of the time, just like rural Americans do, which is pretty fair.

So farm people are just born with this fear about nothing?

That doesn't scare you? That there's a subsection of citizens who are born in an irrational fear of a presidential candidate? That seems rather weird. I mean did anyone truly believe that Clinton, had she won, would have basically said, ok coasts, let's start igniting the flyover states in flames, they no longer matter!
lolAmerica

User Info: willythemailboy

willythemailboy
5 months ago#78
ClayGuida posted...

Rapid changes in economic conditions. Very few other occupations require the infrastructure investment that farming does. Just spitballing numbers here based on my personal experience with farmers in rural Illinois as an illustration, so don't assume these numbers are perfectly accurate or representative as a whole:

A typical family farmer might have 400-500 acres under cultivation here, and make 50k per year on that land (which is why their wives usually have jobs, and often enough the farmers have jobs as well). However, in order to get that level of productivity from their land and time they have to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars for equipment, then tens of thousands for seed, fuel, fertilizer, pesticides, etc. An extra ten cents per gallon in fuel taxes might cost the average person a few hundred dollars a year, but 5-10k for a farmer - up to 20% of the potential income for that farm. Likewise, all those hundreds of thousands of dollars of equipment are all on long term mortgages, so an abrupt change in interest rates can wipe out the profit margin. Changes in water use can be a big factor in certain parts of the country. Inheritance tax can hit bigger farms pretty hard, and property taxes hit all of them hard.

The short answer is that changes in policy that can affect other families in small but painful ways can be bankrupting to farmers on a very short time scale. And to all the people who point out that most farming is corporate now, why do you think that is?
He who laughs last, thinks fastest.

User Info: BlazBBQ

BlazBBQ
5 months ago#79
This is the election:

IMadepooh4U posted...

https://i.imgur.com/TASKQeC.jpg

This is the election on drugs:

Barenziah Boy Toy posted...

http://i.imgur.com/W42zmhy.png

Any questions?
Tha anti-myth rhythm rock shocker...

User Info: fudrick

fudrick
5 months ago#80
Barenziah Boy Toy posted...
Each Idaho voter gets 100x more say than a California voter.

AceMos posted...
hell if california was allowed to be as worth as many points as it should be she would have won the EC

Lord_of_BeefDip posted...
But each person in your state has their vote count for dozens of times more than a person in California

Where are people getting these ridiculously exaggerated figures? Just do the math yourself and see that these claims aren't remotely true.
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Hey Trolls: This is what the Election look like adjusted for PPL - not Land Mass

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived