This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Hey Trolls: This is what the Election look like adjusted for PPL - not Land Mass

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Hey Trolls: This is what the Election look like adjusted for PPL - not Land Mass

User Info: PraetorXyn

PraetorXyn
5 days ago#81
fudrick posted...
Barenziah Boy Toy posted...
Each Idaho voter gets 100x more say than a California voter.

AceMos posted...
hell if california was allowed to be as worth as many points as it should be she would have won the EC

Lord_of_BeefDip posted...
But each person in your state has their vote count for dozens of times more than a person in California

Where are people getting these ridiculously exaggerated figures? Just do the math yourself and see that these claims aren't remotely true.

It's almost as big a problem as them believing we have only one presidential election each year.
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png

User Info: ClayGuida

ClayGuida
5 days ago#82
willythemailboy posted...
ClayGuida posted...
But again, what is this fear based on? Point to examples since I'm clearly ignorant to this issue. When have they suffered because the government wasn't on their side? What did they lose? Subsidies? I just don't get your stance here.

Rapid changes in economic conditions. Very few other occupations require the infrastructure investment that farming does. Just spitballing numbers here based on my personal experience with farmers in rural Illinois as an illustration, so don't assume these numbers are perfectly accurate or representative as a whole:

A typical family farmer might have 400-500 acres under cultivation here, and make 50k per year on that land (which is why their wives usually have jobs, and often enough the farmers have jobs as well). However, in order to get that level of productivity from their land and time they have to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars for equipment, then tens of thousands for seed, fuel, fertilizer, pesticides, etc. An extra ten cents per gallon in fuel taxes might cost the average person a few hundred dollars a year, but 5-10k for a farmer - up to 20% of the potential income for that farm. Likewise, all those hundreds of thousands of dollars of equipment are all on long term mortgages, so an abrupt change in interest rates can wipe out the profit margin. Changes in water use can be a big factor in certain parts of the country. Inheritance tax can hit bigger farms pretty hard, and property taxes hit all of them hard.

The short answer is that changes in policy that can affect other families in small but painful ways can be bankrupting to farmers on a very short time scale. And to all the people who point out that most farming is corporate now, why do you think that is?

But what makes them afraid of democrats? What ordinances or laws did Obama pass that somehow hamstrung farmers or growers? What did Trump promise to fix that was broken?

I've lived on a farm before, as a child, so I don't know the heartaches of it, but I'm lost as to why they feel one party cares more than the other. I'm trying to figure out if there's any actual reason for the fear or if it's just basic fear mongering from the right.

Also, considering a majority of these 'flyover' states are red at even the lowest level, I really don't think a President is going to ruin any sort of chemistry they may already have, and that if there are problems, such as the opioid epidemic, wouldn't you blame the representatives, senators, and governor before tossing blame at the president?

All I'm saying, is that I'm failing to grasp how it's basically 1 person to blame for any of these fears when each state has dozens of representatives that could be contributing to their potential downfall long before it'd be the President.
lolAmerica
ClayGuida posted...
But what makes them afraid of democrats?

Farmers are statistically the most conservative group on the planet, regardless of location and time period. And I do mean "conservative" in the strictest "preserving the status quo" sense. It's inherent in their occupation, since it involved long term risks with long term rewards that are highly subject to condition changes. Democrats are generally the party of changing things, while Republicans are the party of generally not changing things.

ClayGuida posted...
Also, considering a majority of these 'flyover' states are red at even the lowest level, I really don't think a President is going to ruin any sort of chemistry they may already have, and that if there are problems, such as the opioid epidemic, wouldn't you blame the representatives, senators, and governor before tossing blame at the president?

All I'm saying, is that I'm failing to grasp how it's basically 1 person to blame for any of these fears when each state has dozens of representatives that could be contributing to their potential downfall long before it'd be the President.

The President is the one with the most potential influence that is least under their control. They have more influence on the politicians at lower levels.
He who laughs last, thinks fastest.
(edited 5 days ago)

User Info: tokerblue

tokerblue
5 days ago#84
BBT rehashes the same topics over and over. This should be common knowledge by now.

Next topic will be Ashley Graham, Suicide Bombers were honorable like Kamikaze pilots or SJW issue #34.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
- Robert A. Heinlein

tokerblue
5 days ago#85
It should also be noted that winning popular vote +$1 will buy you a candy bar.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
- Robert A. Heinlein

User Info: Nepsy

Nepsy
5 days ago#86
Still crying over the election.
GameRaven 3.1.4
http://m.imgur.com/nMk7Yai?r

User Info: DAM 1

DAM 1
5 days ago#87
This is what a topic made by a potato looks like.
"They say M&M's melt in your mouth, not in your hand Ray. But guess what, we've been holding Skittles this whole ****ing time!" - Frank Semyon

User Info: ClayGuida

ClayGuida
5 days ago#88
willythemailboy posted...
ClayGuida posted...
But what makes them afraid of democrats?

Farmers are statistically the most conservative group on the planet, regardless of location and time period. And I do mean "conservative" in the strictest "preserving the status quo" sense. It's inherent in their occupation, since it involved long term risks with long term rewards that are highly subject to condition changes. Democrats are generally the party of changing things, while Republicans are the party of generally not changing things.

ClayGuida posted...

The President is the one with the most potential influence that is least under their control. They have more influence on the politicians at lower levels.

So again, it's all speculation and fear mongering.
lolAmerica

User Info: axelfooley2k5

axelfooley2k5
5 days ago#89
Lord_of_BeefDip posted...
AceMos posted...
i live in wyoming the least populated state yet we get more votign power than california and that is messed up

No, you don't.

But each person in your state has their vote count for dozens of times more than a person in California (Or even NY or Texas for that matter. ) , which is really not that much better. We should have instant runoff NPV instead of this EC nonsense.

Every vote should be 1 f***ing vote

We were taught the electoral college was created to make sure p**** grabber could be rejected

Obviously your vote doesn't matter as much if you live in a higher populated state
The electoral college was critical in getting trump elected
If Jesus saves, well He'd better save Himself
From the gory glory seekers who use His name in death
(edited 5 days ago)

tokerblue
5 days ago#90
axelfooley2k5 posted...

Every vote should be 1 f***ing vote

The U.S. isn't a pure Democracy.
- Robert A. Heinlein
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Hey Trolls: This is what the Election look like adjusted for PPL - not Land Mass

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.