This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are there any "extreme leftist" policies that're actually extreme?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Are there any "extreme leftist" policies that're actually extreme?

User Info: LawnNinja

LawnNinja
4 months ago#81
Stonedwolfed posted...
Here's the funny thing about the US medical costs, as a percentage of GDP.

The USA already spends a greater % of it's GDP on healthcare than anyone else.

Take a moment to think about what "healthcare" represents—sick and dying people. Yet the more money we spend into healthcare, the more our GDP rises, and the more economists claim that things are great. Sorry economists, but having huge numbers of unhealthy people is not a good thing, no matter how much money is made. The fact that we value money over public health is the real sickness here.
"It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

User Info: CommonGrackle

CommonGrackle
4 months ago#82
Red XlV posted...
CommonGrackle posted...
As to the second point, I don't know about cost and I don't think anyone truly does. I'll just say that I think it's going to be immensely difficult to go single-payer under a strictly progressive tax system as the US now has, and that everyone, rich, middle, poor, is going to have to pay more. You're going to need a Value Added Tax which even for Democrats is going to be entirely unthinkable.

Why the f*** would we need that? Just raise the f***ing income tax.

Because that's how other countries do it
globalist

User Info: Stonedwolfed

Stonedwolfed
4 months ago#83
LawnNinja posted...
The fact that we value money over public health is the real sickness here.

The GDP expenditure suggests otherwise, that Americans - more than any other national on earth - values health over money. As I say, the real problem is not all the health expenditure is clinically effective.

But America spends more than anyone else, so to suggest America is miserly on this is not justified by the expenditure.
Understanding the rationality of SJWs is like trying to smell the colour 9.
Locating the humanity of neo-Nazis is like finding the Unicorns' Graveyard.

User Info: AKA_Tex_Mex

AKA_Tex_Mex
4 months ago#84
@CommonGrackle posted...
What makes anyone think the majority of Americans want single player health insurance?

Because they've said so, dozens of times.

I know, I know, "Just asking really stupid questions that you think are hypothetical" is your schtick, but it'll always be funny to point out the metaphorical s*** stain on the seat of your pants.
Death to Chingers
Carpe Capra

User Info: Nitro378

Nitro378
4 months ago#85
CommonGrackle posted...
Because that's how other countries do it

Dunno about other countries but the UK had the NHS for 30 years before VAT, hard to say the two are directly related
Why is it only called class war when we fight back? https://youtu.be/fUuK6JtP7xA
Number of 30-day suspensions for attacking Zionism: 3

CommonGrackle
4 months ago#86
well in any case, it probably was not achieved by closing tax loopholes, which is Sen. Sanders's laughable idea of raising a trillion dollars.

AKA_Tex_Mex posted...
@CommonGrackle posted...
What makes anyone think the majority of Americans want single player health insurance?

Because they've said so, dozens of times.

Not as a policy, wadatah. Particularly when it's learned that people will have to pay more in taxes and the government will have more control of the health care industry. Here's some more polls, besides Gallup (which you ignore):

http://www.kff.org/health-reform/poll-finding/data-note-modestly-strong-but-malleable-support-for-single-payer-health-care/

while there has been a modest increase in the public’s level of support for single-payer in recent years, a substantial share of the public remains opposed to such a plan, and opinions are quite malleable when presented with the types of arguments that would be likely to arise during a national debate.
globalist

User Info: BetaSquadron

BetaSquadron
4 months ago#87
People also think Obamacare is bad but the ACA and its actual policies are good.

It's telling that there's a party absolutely dedicated to the repeal of the ACA and it's untouchable because of overwhelming public support. These pathetic liars have devoted all their energy into smearing it claiming it has no support and its infeasible, but their garbage repeal bill polls at 12% among the population. There's literally no doubt that once single payer is passed, it will be untouchable because of overwhelming public support like all other social safety nets in this country.

CommonGrackle
4 months ago#88
ACA had an advantage because it was sold as a program to help just a few people who needed health insurance. Otherwise, "if you like your doctor you can keep him." (And even then, the bill only passed on a party line vote).

I think single payer is a much tougher sell. Generally because most people don't want to change what they seem satisfied with.
globalist
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Are there any "extreme leftist" policies that're actually extreme?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived