This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should you be allowed to discriminate based on religion?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Should you be allowed to discriminate based on religion?

User Info: Atombender

Atombender
4 months ago#11
Kia123Amini posted...
Atombender posted...
Kia123Amini posted...
wait by "no because [reasons]" did you mean "no because Title II"?

Specify why you voted no.
Because... saying "we don't want to give you this job because you're Jewish" is f***ed up?

Not a valid reason.
"Another visitor! Stay a while! Stay forever!"

User Info: snakes_righteye

snakes_righteye
4 months ago#12
Is this a Muslim ban support topic? It seems like you want to discriminate against someone. Muslims? Jews? Buddhists? Wiccans?
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken!

User Info: Stonedwolfed

Stonedwolfed
4 months ago#13
Kia123Amini posted...
Well, yeah, you can have your opinions on a religion, but that doesn't mean you should be allowed to legally discriminate against members of a certain religion. Which, I'm pretty sure, is what this thread is about.

So if you work at a company with lots of Jews and, at hiring interviews, mention this, if one candidate says "I hate Jews because Hitler said so" you can decline to hire them on those grounds but if the next candidate says "I hate Jews because my god and prophet says so" you cannot decline to hire them on those grounds.
Understanding the rationality of SJWs is like trying to smell the colour 9.
Locating the humanity of neo-Nazis is like finding the Unicorns' Graveyard.

User Info: Atombender

Atombender
4 months ago#14
snakes_righteye posted...
Is this a Muslim ban support topic? It seems like you want to discriminate against someone. Muslims? Jews? Buddhists? Wiccans?

All these groups plus Christians plus any other religion.
"Another visitor! Stay a while! Stay forever!"

User Info: Kia123Amini

Kia123Amini
4 months ago#15
Stonedwolfed posted...
Kia123Amini posted...
Well, yeah, you can have your opinions on a religion, but that doesn't mean you should be allowed to legally discriminate against members of a certain religion. Which, I'm pretty sure, is what this thread is about.

So if you work at a company with lots of Jews and, at hiring interviews, mention this, if one candidate says "I hate Jews because Hitler said so" you can decline to hire them on those grounds but if the next candidate says "I hate Jews because my god and prophet says so" you cannot decline to hire them on those grounds.
Okay, that's completely f***ing different.

I'm not discriminating against that person because of his/her religion; I'm discriminating against that person because he/she is an a**hole.

Pretty obvious.
\m/ RIP Ronnie James Dio, July 1942-May 2010. I hope you enjoyed your unparalleled musicianship while it lasted (all 67 years, dude). \m/

User Info: Kia123Amini

Kia123Amini
4 months ago#16
Atombender posted...
Kia123Amini posted...
Atombender posted...
Kia123Amini posted...
wait by "no because [reasons]" did you mean "no because Title II"?

Specify why you voted no.
Because... saying "we don't want to give you this job because you're Jewish" is f***ed up?

Not a valid reason.
Specify why it isn't.
\m/ RIP Ronnie James Dio, July 1942-May 2010. I hope you enjoyed your unparalleled musicianship while it lasted (all 67 years, dude). \m/

User Info: mrplainswalker

mrplainswalker
4 months ago#17
Kia123Amini posted...
I'm not discriminating against that person because of his/her religion; I'm discriminating against that person because he/she is an a**hole.

This. The reason you don't hire them is because they said they hate Jews, and therefore you have a legitimate fear of employing them when you are also employing Jews. The reason they hate Jews is kinda not the issue.
It's like punching a round bottom dummy. We all know it's futile, but occasionally it's fun.
- willythemailboy on the subject of stray orcas

User Info: Stonedwolfed

Stonedwolfed
4 months ago#18
Kia123Amini posted...
I'm discriminating against that person because he/she is an a**hole.

But if they're an a-hole becuaes of their religion you're ultimately discriminating against them on their religion.

And that's based on your subjective opinion on what makes an a-hole. What if someone else thinks the burka (and variants) are designed, promoted and worn by a-holes? Does that give them the right to discriminate against them? And what if someone uses religions to say dogs are dirty and bacon is unclean - is it okay to discriminate against them not on their religious justifications for their positions but because their religions - to them - make them a-holes?

Your stance is "it's wrong to discriminate against religions except for the religions that have the things I don't like - but that's not religious discrimination just discriminating based on things I don't like".
Understanding the rationality of SJWs is like trying to smell the colour 9.
Locating the humanity of neo-Nazis is like finding the Unicorns' Graveyard.

User Info: froghunter75

froghunter75
4 months ago#19
Stonedwolfed posted...
Kia123Amini posted...
I'm discriminating against that person because he/she is an a**hole.

But if they're an a-hole becuaes of their religion you're ultimately discriminating against them on their religion.

And that's based on your subjective opinion on what makes an a-hole. What if someone else thinks the burka (and variants) are designed, promoted and worn by a-holes? Does that give them the right to discriminate against them? And what if someone uses religions to say dogs are dirty and bacon is unclean - is it okay to discriminate against them not on their religious justifications for their positions but because their religions - to them - make them a-holes?

Your stance is "it's wrong to discriminate against religions except for the religions that have the things I don't like - but that's not religious discrimination just discriminating based on things I don't like".

I mean I think you kind of stumbled onto a weakness into our anti discrimination laws in that someone could discriminate based on whatever but just lie about it, but that isn't really what this topic is about so I'll move on.

Religion is complicated because while we have freedom of religion we also have freedom of religion. And your freedom of religion stops when it starts affecting me. And it comes to down to what's reasonable for example someone wearing a burka doesn't really affect anyone but the person wearing it so a reasonable person wouldn't think there's any reason to think of that person as an a-hole.
If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed. Albert Einstein

User Info: Bond_543

Bond_543
4 months ago#20
all discrimination should be allowed, b/c being against it is a violation of property rights.
Social Democracy: Bribing idiots with "free stuff" in exchange for votes.
Truth of the progressive era: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62rI8OYFzGg
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Should you be allowed to discriminate based on religion?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived