This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should you be allowed to discriminate based on religion?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Should you be allowed to discriminate based on religion?

User Info: Atombender

Atombender
4 months ago#1
Should you be allowed to discriminate based on religion? - Results (72 votes)
Yes because every religion is inherently terrible and flawed
44.44% (32 votes)
No because [reasons]
55.56% (40 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Title II of the 1964 Civil Rights Act

All persons shall be entitled to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, and privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, as defined in this section, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin.
"Another visitor! Stay a while! Stay forever!"

User Info: froghunter75

froghunter75
4 months ago#2
I'm not very sympathetic to religion really and I think whether it deserves to be a protected class is a discussion that we may need to have sometime in the far future.

But as of right now it is a protected class and religion is still a major part of a lot of people's lives so and given how we still haven't figured out how to let people be on our own, no we should not be allowed to discriminate based on religion
If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed. Albert Einstein

User Info: Kia123Amini

Kia123Amini
4 months ago#3
wait by "no because [reasons]" did you mean "no because Title II"?
\m/ RIP Ronnie James Dio, July 1942-May 2010. I hope you enjoyed your unparalleled musicianship while it lasted (all 67 years, dude). \m/

User Info: Stonedwolfed

Stonedwolfed
4 months ago#4
Nobody cares about religion when it's a slightly different favour of head-not at home.

What about religions that, sincerely, believe Jews are evil? Or religions that detest homosexuals? Or thing abortions are murder?

Are other religions - that are fluffier and ones atheists can better get along with - permitted to talk about their views at work but spikier religions should shut up in public? Why are gross opinions protected only if they justify themselves with spacemagic?

Not trivial questions, no easy answers.
Understanding the rationality of SJWs is like trying to smell the colour 9.
Locating the humanity of neo-Nazis is like finding the Unicorns' Graveyard.
(message deleted)

Kia123Amini
4 months ago#6
Stonedwolfed posted...
Nobody cares about religion when it's a slightly different favour of head-not at home.

What about religions that, sincerely, believe Jews are evil? Or religions that detest homosexuals? Or thing abortions are murder?

Are other religions - that are fluffier and ones atheists can better get along with - permitted to talk about their views at work but spikier religions should shut up in public? Why are gross opinions protected only if they justify themselves with spacemagic?

Not trivial questions, no easy answers.
Well, yeah, you can have your opinions on a religion, but that doesn't mean you should be allowed to legally discriminate against members of a certain religion. Which, I'm pretty sure, is what this thread is about.
\m/ RIP Ronnie James Dio, July 1942-May 2010. I hope you enjoyed your unparalleled musicianship while it lasted (all 67 years, dude). \m/

User Info: Carmelo

Carmelo
4 months ago#7
at least tc goes the route of saying "every religion is bad," although you realize you'll be discriminating against over like 70% of americans tc right

not even saying this as a religious person but just saying you realize most americans identify with a religion of something or another

User Info: Atombender

Atombender
4 months ago#8
Kia123Amini posted...

Specify why you voted no.
"Another visitor! Stay a while! Stay forever!"

User Info: mrplainswalker

mrplainswalker
4 months ago#9
Depends in which context. I don't think you should be allowed to deny somebody a public service just because you know their religion and don't like it. It has to be based on things they actually do that are disruptive, like proselytizing or preaching about hell, or trying to sell stupid crap. On this subject, I treat religion the same way I treat other ridiculous beliefs like white supremacy or anti-vax.
It's like punching a round bottom dummy. We all know it's futile, but occasionally it's fun.
- willythemailboy on the subject of stray orcas

Kia123Amini
4 months ago#10
Atombender posted...
Kia123Amini posted...

Specify why you voted no.
Because... saying "we don't want to give you this job because you're Jewish" is f***ed up?
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Should you be allowed to discriminate based on religion?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived