This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Betting odds for the 2020 election are out. Guess who's in the lead.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Betting odds for the 2020 election are out. Guess who's in the lead.

User Info: cyric79

cyric79
3 weeks ago#71
Shinobi120 posted...
^Thank you.

As someone who's black, what cyric79 said was outrageous & reprehensible. If people can't learn to say anything nice about certain people with different races/ethnicity, then they shouldn't f***ing say anything at all.

Not all blacks are criminals, etc., I'm certainly not.

Note that I never said ALL blacks are criminals. I said they are over represented in crime. Can anyone truthfully say otherwise? I am well aware that there are good black people out there.
Currently playing Marvel Heroes (free to play action RPG), Gears of War 3 and Dead or Alive 5
(message deleted)

User Info: EthanSilver

EthanSilver
3 weeks ago#73
cyric79 posted...

Yes, I wonder about it often. I live in Australia and I know black crime is an issue, particularly down in Victoria. This is mainly with home invasions, car jackings and street muggings. Then I note the relative failure of every black majority country on the planet, the over representation of black criminals in all the articles and reports I have seen, the fact Australia is a welfare state (so there is no need to commit crime to survive) and finally peoples reluctance to address the issue publicly. These things make me wonder even more.

Yeah, but it's stupid to think it's ethnicity. Put a white guy in a poor neighborhood filled with crime and he'll be more likely to get into trouble. Put a black guy in a decent neighborhood and he'll be more likely to live a decent life. What you don't seem to understand is that environment and circumstance are vital when talking about how people will turn out. Not ethnicity.

cyric79 posted...
On issues like immigration, I think its very important to look at group behavior - both in the country of origin and the relevant local immigrant population. You cant really claim to know an individual is "good" because they come from a country where they have no criminal record, when there is a real possibility that countrys record keeping is either corrupt or incompetent. Group behavior matters.

Yes, but to what extent? And is it an ethnicity thing, or and environment thing? What I don't like about simpletons like you is that you don't realize that. Ethnicity is nothing compared to circumstances. A black person born here will behave very differently then one born in the poorest parts of Africa? So what does that tell you? That your ethnicity decides how you turn out? No, you're stupid if you think that. Sorry if I use insults. But you do have dangerous simpleton ideas.

cyric79 posted...

You dont seem to realize that acting in a "fair" manner, can have unfair consequences. Being fair "as much as possible" is fine (and also subjective). I just wouldnt be reckless about it.
I dont see that you have any answers. Unlike me you dont even have any questions - just empty rhetoric and insults.

Fair stuff can lead to unfair circumstances? What does that even mean? That's a whole lot of nothing. It's better to think in a case to case basis. Because that's stupid is what that is. If something fair leads to something unfair, then it probably wasn't fair to begin with. Still it's better to think in case to case basis.

Think about it, unfair actions will always lead to unfair circumstances. Jesus christ. Talk about dumb. So lets pick fair actions. Jesus. Sure, we shouldn't be reckless though. Duh.

Also fair isn't subjective. Maybe to somebody that's mentally challenged and doesn't know right from wrong. A sociopath or douchebag.

All things being equal if there was two apples, it would be fair for each of us to get one each. It's fair to be able to be safe in your city regardless of the color of your skin. I can go on and on if you want. Being fair is not subjective you simpleton.

User Info: EthanSilver

EthanSilver
3 weeks ago#74
cyric79 posted...
Shinobi120 posted...
^Thank you.

As someone who's black, what cyric79 said was outrageous & reprehensible. If people can't learn to say anything nice about certain people with different races/ethnicity, then they shouldn't f***ing say anything at all.

Not all blacks are criminals, etc., I'm certainly not.

Note that I never said ALL blacks are criminals. I said they are over represented in crime. Can anyone truthfully say otherwise? I am well aware that there are good black people out there.

Well yeah, but it's stupid to think it's just because they are black. Circumstance play a role in that, a much much bigger one at that.

"just empty rhetoric"

Also ^ that's f***ing you. The only meaningful thing you have said is we should be careful, duh, but miss every other reason I'm giving you to see how dumb some of the things you say are.

cyric79
3 weeks ago#75
EthanSilver posted...

Yeah, but it's stupid to think it's ethnicity. Put a white guy in a poor neighborhood filled with crime and he'll be more likely to get into trouble. Put a black guy in a decent neighborhood and he'll be more likely to live a decent life. What you don't seem to understand is that environment and circumstance are vital when talking about how people will turn out. Not ethnicity.

Sure, people who live in tougher environments are more likely to commit crime. That makes sense. Do poor white people commit crime at the same rates as poor black people? Im not sure. Even in poor environments, I would also ask how black and white cultures vary (I have seen black people talk about an anti-intellectual black culture) and what role that plays in crime rates. I know ethnicity is a delicate topic, but in the interest of truth I think questions about average IQ amongst racial groups would have to be addressed. I have seen Charles Murray talk about this on youtube. Even there, I can see him struggling between the evidence of his studies and not offending people.

EthanSilver posted...

Yes, but to what extent? And is it an ethnicity thing, or and environment thing? What I don't like about simpletons like you is that you don't realize that. Ethnicity is nothing compared to circumstances. A black person born here will behave very differently then one born in the poorest parts of Africa? So what does that tell you? That your ethnicity decides how you turn out? No, you're stupid if you think that. Sorry if I use insults. But you do have dangerous simpleton ideas.

I dont know to what extent group behavior is determined by ethnicity and/or environment. Again, the common sense approach for me would be to observe the behavior of a group at its point of origin and how that demographic behaves at a local level before determining their suitability as immigrants. People dont change their ideas/culture when they change country. At least not quickly.
There is also a large amount of violence present in both black American (if thats what you mean by "here") and African communities, so at the very least that suggests to me that white people arent the cause of the violence within them.
Currently playing Marvel Heroes (free to play action RPG), Gears of War 3 and Dead or Alive 5

cyric79
3 weeks ago#76
EthanSilver posted...

Fair stuff can lead to unfair circumstances? What does that even mean? That's a whole lot of nothing. It's better to think in a case to case basis. Because that's stupid is what that is. If something fair leads to something unfair, then it probably wasn't fair to begin with. Still it's better to think in case to case basis.
Think about it, unfair actions will always lead to unfair circumstances. Jesus christ. Talk about dumb. So lets pick fair actions. Jesus. Sure, we shouldn't be reckless though. Duh.

Also fair isn't subjective. Maybe to somebody that's mentally challenged and doesn't know right from wrong. A sociopath or douchebag.

All things being equal if there was two apples, it would be fair for each of us to get one each. It's fair to be able to be safe in your city regardless of the color of your skin. I can go on and on if you want. Being fair is not subjective you simpleton.

You are very correct with the bold part above, but try to understand that being fair is absolutely subjective (most of the time), because most of the time you will not have all the facts to be able to accurately judge fairness.
If you felt bad for a local homeless man (poor guys house burned down, wife left him, has a drinking problem etc) and you let him stay at you house for the night, because you think life has been unfair to him. Then you are woken up at midnight, because this homeless man turns out to be a paranoid schizophrenic and is aggressively ranting. He is scaring your wife and children. You approach him to try and calm him down. He stabs you in the leg and runs out the door. You end up in hospital needing expensive attention on your leg. Your family is traumatized and you miss a week of important work. Looking back, considering all the emotional pain, money and inconvenience this homeless guy cost your family, your work colleges and yourself, and now knowing how mentally unstable the homeless man was, would you still consider your initial decision to allow him to stay at your house that night as fair? Of course not. Once you knew what he was capable of, you could see it wasnt fair on your family, work colleges or yourself to let him stay that night.
Your apple example is too simplistic. Real world situations relating to fairness are often not so black and white.

User Info: davishippo

davishippo
3 weeks ago#77
cyric79 posted...
EthanSilver posted...

You are very correct with the bold part above, but try to understand that being fair is absolutely subjective (most of the time), because most of the time you will not have all the facts to be able to accurately judge fairness.
If you felt bad for a local homeless man (poor guys house burned down, wife left him, has a drinking problem etc) and you let him stay at you house for the night, because you think life has been unfair to him. Then you are woken up at midnight, because this homeless man turns out to be a paranoid schizophrenic and is aggressively ranting. He is scaring your wife and children. You approach him to try and calm him down. He stabs you in the leg and runs out the door. You end up in hospital needing expensive attention on your leg. Your family is traumatized and you miss a week of important work. Looking back, considering all the emotional pain, money and inconvenience this homeless guy cost your family, your work colleges and yourself, and now knowing how mentally unstable the homeless man was, would you still consider your initial decision to allow him to stay at your house that night as fair? Of course not. Once you knew what he was capable of, you could see it wasnt fair on your family, work colleges or yourself to let him stay that night.
Your apple example is too simplistic. Real world situations relating to fairness are often not so black and white.

Get rid of cable. Buy Direct TV
Bell Maiden is my waifu.

User Info: C_Mat

C_Mat
3 weeks ago#78
kaiolino posted...
C_Mat posted...
Calintares posted...
C_Mat posted...
The betting sites favored Hillary pretty highly as well.

and? Trump's victory was a longshot. Sometimes things that have low odds of happening does happen. nothing magical about it.

Trump won in a landslide. The polls were lying to us.

What's a landslide to you?

A victory far in excess of what was necessary.
https://youtu.be/muXbrE3u6ns | That farmhouse, there.

User Info: hoax123

hoax123
3 weeks ago#79
Crushing victory for Trump.
Lock her up!
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Betting odds for the 2020 election are out. Guess who's in the lead.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived