This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

UK says loot boxes aren't gambling

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. UK says loot boxes aren't gambling

User Info: TomorrowDog

TomorrowDog
2 weeks ago#1
http://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/news-action-and-statistics/news/2017/Loot-boxes-within-video-games.aspx

Weird, the armchair analysts on here told me it was 100% obvious gambling and some handpicked sources that they read on the internet verified it and thus there was no question or argument.

I guess the UK gambling commission doesn't count since it doesn't fit the verified position of board 261's armchair analysis committee.
sub.bitballoon.com
Some browser games in various stages of completion.

User Info: mrplainswalker

mrplainswalker
2 weeks ago#2
It's nice to see a government getting something right.
It's like punching a round bottom dummy. We all know it's futile, but occasionally it's fun.
- willythemailboy on the subject of stray orcas

User Info: Carmelo

Carmelo
2 weeks ago#3
However, many parents are not interested in whether an activity meets a legal definition of ‘gambling’. Their main concern is whether there is a product out there that could present a risk to their children. We are concerned with the growth in examples where the line between video gaming and gambling is becoming increasingly blurred. Where it does meet the definition of gambling it is our job to ensure that children are protected and we have lots of rules in place, like age verification requirements, to do that.

sounds to me like they know it doesn’t fit the narrow existing definition of “gambling” but they also know it’s bulls*** at the same time

User Info: Ryugai

Ryugai
2 weeks ago#4
Conservatives are so insistent on defending every piece of s*** practice that they're loot box defenders now?

User Info: wah_wah_wah

wah_wah_wah
2 weeks ago#5
Loot boxes are not gambling but I do think consumers need to have an expected retail value of what they're getting. I don't think a business should get away with selling a loot box and the consumer opens it and it is poop

User Info: mrplainswalker

mrplainswalker
2 weeks ago#6
Carmelo posted...
sounds to me like they know it doesn’t fit the narrow existing definition of “gambling” but they also know it’s bulls*** at the same time

Which is no different than anything else that kids spend money on when they have it.
It's like punching a round bottom dummy. We all know it's futile, but occasionally it's fun.
- willythemailboy on the subject of stray orcas

User Info: TomorrowDog

TomorrowDog
2 weeks ago#7
Carmelo posted...
they also know it’s bulls*** at the same time

I agree with that. At the very minimum, publishing the probabilities should be mandatory so people know the chance of what they're after and if its remotely feasible.
sub.bitballoon.com
Some browser games in various stages of completion.

User Info: Genericgamer667

Genericgamer667
2 weeks ago#8
so they are right and the other countries are wrong?
Switch FC: SW-0826-5923-7882 NNID: Seadrake
It is a remake, not my fault you people think ports are remakes (but only on Nintendo systems)-Demondog666

User Info: Genericgamer667

Genericgamer667
2 weeks ago#9
TomorrowDog posted...
Carmelo posted...
they also know it’s bulls*** at the same time

I agree with that. At the very minimum, publishing the probabilities should be mandatory so people know the chance of what they're after and if its remotely feasible.

that's exactly what Japan forces these people to do
Switch FC: SW-0826-5923-7882 NNID: Seadrake
It is a remake, not my fault you people think ports are remakes (but only on Nintendo systems)-Demondog666

User Info: Carmelo

Carmelo
2 weeks ago#10
wah_wah_wah posted...
Loot boxes are not gambling but I do think consumers need to have an expected retail value of what they're getting. I don't think a business should get away with selling a loot box and the consumer opens it and it is poop

they absolutely are gambling, but just not within the narrow definition of gambling where the reward is a finite amount of cold hard cash. Digital goods absolutely have value but it’s hard to fit a definition of that value into the existing definition of gambling that was made before digital goods even existed
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. UK says loot boxes aren't gambling

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived