This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Did people in ancient Greece literally believe in their gods?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Did people in ancient Greece literally believe in their gods?

User Info: 249_US_dollars

249_US_dollars
6 years ago#1
Or any other area with similar mythologies, I suppose.
Don't count your chickens until they've hatched
That's chicken humor for "don't be cocky"

User Info: Hustle Kong

Hustle Kong
6 years ago#2
Seeing as how Socrates was put on trial under accusations of atheism, I'd say that it follows. Didn't Cicero also profess a belief in the gods?
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.

User Info: SirThinkALot

SirThinkALot
6 years ago#3
The exact views varied from time-to-time. There were periods of ancient greek history when they did literally believe in their gods, and times when they saw them as alagorical.
Read my blog: http://sirthinkalotsthoughts.blogspot.com/
PSN name: SirThinkALot

User Info: Faiyez

Faiyez
6 years ago#4
I figure... people in a thousand years from now will probably ask the same question about us.
I think they've taken the freedom and liberty thing a BIT TOO FAR!
-GlowStormLion on Japan's kinks.

User Info: Faust_8

Faust_8
6 years ago#5
Which is why the fervency of your belief says absolutely nothing about if it's truth or not. Millions upon millions died truly believing in completely separate gods/religions...
"We think the future that we will find together is greater than the assumptions of our past."

User Info: k darkfire

k darkfire
6 years ago#6
Yes. Why is it so unbelievable?

User Info: Retrotastic

Retrotastic
6 years ago#7
Yes and no as they knew their stories about the gods were myths but atheism was a very rare thing. Even the Greek materialists tended to believe in the gods existed they just didn't offer anyone an afterlife.

User Info: sthater

sthater
6 years ago#8
Generally speaking yes they do appear to have been taken seriously. Alexander the Great apparently idolized a lot of the larger than life Greek heroes like Achilles and Odysseus.
Like my loafers? Former gophers -It was that or skin my chauffeurs,
Part of the presidential triumvirate of board 666

User Info: Retrotastic

Retrotastic
6 years ago#9
They would have been a little bit surprised had Zeus physically appeared before them and started to order them about though I'm sure. They wouldn't have thought "Oh its just Zeus."

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
6 years ago#10
TC, you're using the word "Literally" wrong. The word you're looking for is "really". The two are not synonymous.
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Did people in ancient Greece literally believe in their gods?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived