This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why does God let good things happen to atheists and bad things to religious ppl?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Why does God let good things happen to atheists and bad things to religious ppl?

User Info: Hustle Kong

Hustle Kong
6 years ago#131
They retcon when they say the serpent is Satan.
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.

User Info: hunter_gohan

hunter_gohan
6 years ago#132
OrangeWizard posted...
That's like saying "Since this new director was brought in to shoot the second movie in the series, I'm not going to believe in his fan fiction" and not considering it canon

:)

Not really, think of it more like the old Batman movies vs the Batman Begins and Dark Knight. The new movies completely ignore anything that happened in the first. Technically they're two entirely different Batman universes. They take the same basic starting points (dude dressed up in a bat suit fighting crime, an insane joker villain, another villain with split personalities and two-faces etc.), yet none of the details are the same. Even with those, the original comics are always considered the highest canon.

Sure, if it's a REMAKE.

But it's not. It's a sequel.

If you're ret-conning stuff from the original, it may as well be a remake. The newest Star Trek movie had events that never happened before, so technically it's not a remake, but many people don't even consider it a Star Trek film.
If you find yourself falling into madness -- dive. -Malkavian Clan Book 1st edition
We eat gods for breakfast. - Dr Egon Spengler

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
6 years ago#133

Technically they're two entirely different Batman universes.

Well, with the whole infinite earths thing, every artist's interpretation gets put into it's own earth, so that's how you end up with Adam West batman and Christian Bale batman existing in the same canonical universe with different canons of reality inside of them.

Or wait, was that Marvel?

Since the OT and the NT both exist inside the same earth, they're from the same canon.

The newest Star Trek movie had events that never happened before,

They explained that in the movie. Because of all the wibbly wobbly timey-wimey stuff, they created an alternate universe from the star trek stuff.
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops

User Info: hunter_gohan

hunter_gohan
6 years ago#134
OrangeWizard posted...
Since the OT and the NT both exist inside the same earth, they're from the same canon.

So does Star Trek TOS, TNG, and Enterprise. A lot of Trekkies ignore Enterprise though because it crapped all over canon and the earlier ones are considered the higher canon.

They explained that in the movie. Because of all the wibbly wobbly timey-wimey stuff, they created an alternate universe from the star trek stuff.

Haha, Who fan? It seems we have at least one thing in common. :)

Yeah but it's still technically a remake. They threw in an explanation, but they still ret-conned a lot of stuff.
If you find yourself falling into madness -- dive. -Malkavian Clan Book 1st edition
We eat gods for breakfast. - Dr Egon Spengler

OrangeWizard
6 years ago#135

Haha, Who fan? It seems we have at least one thing in common. :)

No, I'm just educated in memes that eventually grace the internet.

Increasingly complex discussions of fiction canon aside, you're denying that later books of the bible are to be trusted, and you shouldn't.
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""

User Info: Dagorha

Dagorha
6 years ago#136
That's like saying "Since this new director was brought in to shoot the second movie in the series, I'm not going to believe in his fan fiction" and not considering it canon

:)

Hey it actually happened with X-Men. Wolverine and the 3rd one were pretty much written out of continuity.
You don't get a gold star for being less bloody stupid than another bloody stupid person when you are still demonstrably bloody stupid. -the final bahamut

OrangeWizard
6 years ago#137
Movies don't usually make canon. The Comics make the canon.

User Info: Ryan Lewis

Ryan Lewis
6 years ago#138
Wow I had a fun time reading this topic. It's interesting. The the "argument" at hand here is supposed to be "Why God let's good things happen to atheists and bad things to religious people", which is obvious, from both standpoint IMO. Atheists believe it's because there's no god, which if true, would mean it's because there is no forced will upon people. If god exists, it probably mean he either doesn't care, or doesn't interfere.

The most interesting bits were the parts about drugs and then it somehow turned into a discussion on what is established as canon, really guys? Canon is something that isn't based in hard facts to begin with, each person has their own idea of what makes or breaks canon, so why even argue it?

I wanted to respond to this though:

kozlo100 posted...
http://tinyurl.com/3d9kyy

I know you weren't making any real claims here, so I'm not talking about what you said, more so what this graph or chart said.

That is complete crap, seriously. Dangerous, how? That's what I want to know.

I don't like talking about this, as it's really personal for me, and after reading this topic, I feel like some people are going to either judge me as a bad or immoral person, which honestly, at the end of the day, I really don't care. Anyways, I have dealt with many forms of addiction in my life, some I brought onto myself, others were things prescribed to me by inept doctors who didn't really explain what I was putting into my body.

Again, just to reiterate, I'm not proud of any of this, but you can't change the past. I just don't want to seem like some teenage druggy who is laughing about this. But I have been addicted to all forms of opiates (Heroin and Oxycontin mainly, with Vicoden/Percocet starting the downslide) and Xanax (alprozolam) which is a benzodiazepam.

I never shot up heroin, which in my experience, is where the damage of heroin really starts. But it's not so much the heroin, as lack of cleanliness, lack of medical skill (so people damage their veins and skin, i.e. collapsed arteries, air inside the vein, i knew a girl who broke a needle in her arm once), etc. Some pretty nasty stuff, which is one of the reasons I never went down that road, as much as an addict as I was. I pretty much held this addiction for 5 or 6 years (from about ages 17-22, it's been about a year and a half since). The thing most people don't understand about an opiate addiction, is that the addiction and use of the opiates themselves aren't really harmful. Sure, you can overdose and die, but it's not what most people think. Most people die from when they are so high they "nod off", fall asleep, and at that point their breathing is really shallow. So either their breathing gets so shallow they die from lack of oxygen, or they fall asleep and get contorted to a position where they physically can't breathe or they vomit and don't wake up. It honestly would take quite a bit for someone to do that.

If someone was a heroin addict their whole life and made sure they got quality product, didn't do harmful things such as using needles, and didn't overdo their use, it really wouldn't affect their health all that much. Now, another health concern might conflict with it's use, but say a perfectly healthy person with no disease did it, they'd be fine. Obviously, with an addiction, many stop caring about their health, and it all becomes about the next fix. Most addicts don't go into their addiction like that, I know I for one started because it actually helped me get through school and work, as it focused me and made everything fly by and more enjoyable. When it became a problem is when I was spending more money than I had and when I didn't have something I couldn't go to work or school, so it became a hindrance.

cont.
"Have a nice cup of tea, dematerialize for a while." - Eighth Doctor

User Info: Ryan Lewis

Ryan Lewis
6 years ago#139
Benzos, such as Xanax, are so much worse. I was put on these for anxiety and depression problems, and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. I never enjoyed this, so to me the addiction is much different than the opiate addiction. It was easier to get off in the sense that I didn't want to do it anymore, but it was so much more painful. Opiate withdrawal last about 3-7 days, with you starting to feel normal in about 2 weeks, and you cannot die from it, as bad as it gets, you cannot die. Benzo withdrawal can cause death by seizure (and in fact, in this aspect and many others, it's VERY similar to alcohol). Both alcohol and Benzos affect the same area of the brain (GABA) and so cause similar symptoms, like I said both can cause seizures.

Then there's drugs like Meth, which is so harmful that it's disgusting. The damage it does to your brain (some of it) is irreversible unlike Benzos, opiates, alcohol, and countless other drugs which do damage, but not permanently.

As a former addict, that chart just bothered me. I wonder what they used to decide that stuff.
"Have a nice cup of tea, dematerialize for a while." - Eighth Doctor

User Info: Hustle Kong

Hustle Kong
6 years ago#140
My Xanax usually expires before I refill it. I don't have a very addictive personality, I guess.
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Why does God let good things happen to atheists and bad things to religious ppl?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived