This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

50 Proofs that God is not real?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. 50 Proofs that God is not real?

User Info: lolbutteriots

lolbutteriots
6 years ago#1
http://godisimaginary.com/
Honestly, I think Brady getting injured is great for the sport of football. - XenoStryker

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
6 years ago#2
Is this a question, or are you asserting this claim?

Also, how many of these proofs have you actually read?

Also, how does disproving God, as taught by MAINSTREAM CHRISTIANITY, disprove all gods across all religions?
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops

User Info: hermanooter

hermanooter
6 years ago#3
I have a good one.
Consider the possibility of a psychic bigfoot ghost. We don't know whether psychics, bigfeet, or ghosts really exist, but each of the three individually must exist in order for all three to exist simultaneously in one entity. Therefore the odds of a psychic bigfoot ghost are at best equal to the odds of psychics multiplied by the odds of bigfoot times the odds of ghosts. It's like the coin flip example, you have a 50% chance of getting heads on each flip, but the odds of getting heads on all of three flips at once is only 12.5%.

Well God, being omnipotent, has an infinite number of magical abilities, all of which have an uncertain existence. Unless the odds of every single magical power imaginable are 100% the odds of God can be no greater than the probability of every single one of those powers coming up heads. Therefore the odds of God are less than or equal to the product of all the magic power probabilities multiplied together. In other words, as God's power approaches infinity the odds of his existence approaches zero.
"For a hermeneut, you sure take the challah" - Polemos

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
6 years ago#4

the odds of psychics

the odds of bigfoot

the odds of ghosts

And all of these are equally unknowable.
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops

User Info: TheRealJiraiya

TheRealJiraiya
6 years ago#5
If you are a scientist it is even worse, and it starts with the very first line:

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth...

That's not true. In the beginning a natural event created the universe as we know it, and the earth did not form until billions of years later

Apparently this person thinks that things having been created is verifiably false. How silly.

edit: Yeah when I went into that I was a bit worried but looking over it it brings nothing new to the table and flat out isnt very interesting. Its a good source for a compilation of vanilla, commonly used arguments against Christianity though.
"An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup." -H.L. Mencken

hermanooter
6 years ago#6
And all of these are equally unknowable.

It doesn't matter if I don't know the exact probability of each, as long as they aren't all 100% certain the odds of all three together are necessarily less than the odds of each individually.

TheRealJiraiya
6 years ago#7
Herman Ooter posted...
I have a good one.
Consider the possibility of a psychic bigfoot ghost. We don't know whether psychics, bigfeet, or ghosts really exist, but each of the three individually must exist in order for all three to exist simultaneously in one entity. Therefore the odds of a psychic bigfoot ghost are at best equal to the odds of psychics multiplied by the odds of bigfoot times the odds of ghosts. It's like the coin flip example, you have a 50% chance of getting heads on each flip, but the odds of getting heads on all of three flips at once is only 12.5%.

Well God, being omnipotent, has an infinite number of magical abilities, all of which have an uncertain existence. Unless the odds of every single magical power imaginable are 100% the odds of God can be no greater than the probability of every single one of those powers coming up heads. Therefore the odds of God are less than or equal to the product of all the magic power probabilities multiplied together. In other words, as God's power approaches infinity the odds of his existence approaches zero.

Although it was interesting to consider and also a new argument I enjoyed reading, this strikes me as incredibly fallacious.. it looks like a weird application of the Fallacy of Division.. or, alternatively, perhaps its a weird application of the Fallacy of Composition. I can see a case being made for either one.

Anyways, it doesnt work the way youre trying to make it work. A psychic bigfoot ghost's chances of existing arent necessarily less than the chances of a psychic existing without being a bigfoot or a ghost, for example. Its not the sum of its parts in that way. A psychic bigfoot ghost is its own thing, just as a psychic, bigfoot, and a ghost are their own thing.

If youre skimming, here is the disproof: One way to think about this is to note that a psychic who is not a bigfoot or ghost still has three attributes when measuring it against a psychic bigfoot ghost: it is a psychic non-bigfoot non-ghost. If we take this approach then a human, when compared to God, also has an infinite number of attributes, although most of them start with non-, and you can use this fallacious logic to disprove the existence of anything provided its attributes, like the chances of a thing being non-omnipotent, are not 100%.
"An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup." -H.L. Mencken

User Info: DaveTheUseless

DaveTheUseless
6 years ago#8
Every now and then I beg God to appear before me or to intervene in some way so that I know He's there.

Still working on it, but I think it might happen someday
www.chillmachine.com. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CghoOzO6xkA <-- VVVVVV review
last.fm/user/WarriorJones. R.I.P. Harry Kalas

hermanooter
6 years ago#9
That's silly because the odds of a non-bigfoot or a non-ghost existing are 100% certain.
For example a pepperoni pizza is neither a mighty sasquatch nor an incorporeal spirit, and I personally ate one myself just yesterday, so don't try and tell me they might not exist.
However if a psychic bigfoot ghost exists then psychics of some sort must exist because the PBG is one.

TheRealJiraiya
6 years ago#10
Herman Ooter posted...
That's silly because the odds of a non-bigfoot or a non-ghost existing are 100% certain.
For example a pepperoni pizza is neither a mighty sasquatch nor an incorporeal spirit, and I personally ate one myself just yesterday, so don't try and tell me they might not exist.
However if a psychic bigfoot ghost exists then psychics of some sort must exist because the PBG is one.

The reasons you list for it being 100% are that youve seen one, yet by your logic, if you had never seen it the chances of it existing would be 0%. The fact that you can see something that is disprovable by your logic proves your logic wrong. It is fallacious thinking. You cant simply add up the infinite attributes of any given thing and declare its likelihood of existing 0% provided its attributes are not each, individually, 100%. That reasoning could disprove anything, and the fact that you have seen things disprovable by your logic disproves your logic.

The only difference between the things you say dont exist and the things you say do exist are that youve seen them, not the number of their attributes or the statistical likelihood of the chances of their attributes had you never seen them.

The world isnt divided into things you have seen and things that are impossible, therefore you are wrong.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. 50 Proofs that God is not real?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived