This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

50 Proofs that God is not real?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. 50 Proofs that God is not real?

User Info: hermanooter

hermanooter
6 years ago#31
How do you know it's not 0 or 1?

Because I don't know it to be 0 or 1. I mean everything is true or it isn't. If i flip three coins and get three heads then it happened. Doesn't mean it was a sure thing before I knew it to be. We're working with incomplete data, and always will be.

They neither assume that God exists nor that God does not exist. Why not extend that line of thinking to other things?

Is it really reasonable to say that all unknowns are equally probable? Are the odds of alien intelligence the same as Billy-Bob getting probed in his trailer by space men?
Well they are if Billy-Bob really was molested in that fashion, right?
Doesn't seem right to assume that's the case though.
"For a hermeneut, you sure take the challah" - Polemos

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
6 years ago#32
Real darts have tips that are finitely proportional to the area of the board. An arbitrary mathematical point would have a finite chance of falling within that range. The only thing this shows is that conceptual perfection is indeed a practical impossibility.

You're missing the forest for the trees. It's a well understood and well established mathematical concept. You can pick apart explanatory analogies all you like, but that doesn't change the mechanics of the situation.

The fact of the matter is that a being with an infinite number of unlikely traits has a probability of zero, but is not impossible.
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick

User Info: fudrick

fudrick
6 years ago#33
kozlo100 posted...
You're missing the forest for the trees. It's a well understood and well established mathematical concept. You can pick apart explanatory analogies all you like, but that doesn't change the mechanics of the situation.

This is why I prefer the example I gave
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious

User Info: Burn Jack

Burn Jack
6 years ago#34
cyclonekruse posted...
That assumes that some psychics are not ghosts (and vice versa). If all psychics are ghost psychics, then the odds of being a psychic are equal to the odds of being a ghost. It's like saying the odds of being an unmarried male is equal to the odds of being a bachelor.

This isn't quite right. Did you mean "If all ghosts and all psychics are ghost psychics, etc."? Or perhaps you meant to say that if all psychics are ghost psychics, then the chance of being a psychic are equal to the odds of being a ghost psychic.
Whatever your team is please don't add Jesus Christ. I don't hate Jesus, I'm just saying he's way too powerful to be on a team. ~ G-14

User Info: cyclonekruse

cyclonekruse
6 years ago#35
Herman Ooter posted...
Because I don't know it to be 0 or 1. I mean everything is true or it isn't. If i flip three coins and get three heads then it happened. Doesn't mean it was a sure thing before I knew it to be. We're working with incomplete data, and always will be.

Yes, we're working with incomplete data. However, in this case we're almost working with no data at all. Makes calculating odds difficult.

Is it really reasonable to say that all unknowns are equally probable? Are the odds of alien intelligence the same as Billy-Bob getting probed in his trailer by space men?
Well they are if Billy-Bob really was molested in that fashion, right?
Doesn't seem right to assume that's the case though.

That is quite the opposite of what I said. I said don't assume anything about it, including that those outcomes are equally probable.
Locke: "Why do you find it so hard to believe?" || Jack "Why do you find it so easy?!" ||
Locke: "It's never been easy!"

cyclonekruse
6 years ago#36
Burn Jack posted...
This isn't quite right. Did you mean "If all ghosts and all psychics are ghost psychics, etc."?

Yeah, that's what I was getting at.
Locke: "Why do you find it so hard to believe?" || Jack "Why do you find it so easy?!" ||

User Info: hermanooter

hermanooter
6 years ago#37
The fact of the matter is that a being with an infinite number of unlikely traits has a probability of zero, but is not impossible.

Which is what I've been saying all along. God is just as likely as you picking the exact number I'm thinking of between 1 and infinity. It could happen, but it's the most improbable thing imaginable.

I said don't assume anything about it, including that those outcomes are equally probable.

Well I am assuming that some kind of alien life is more likely than some specific alien life in particular simply because the latter necessitates the former, but the former doesn't require the latter. (Unless of course every single alien intelligence in the entire universe has in fact probed Billy-Bob, but let's put that extreme aside.)
What's more likely, that I have a coin in my pocket, or that I have a nickel in my pocket?
Now God is infinitely specific, as is anything that is perfect.
For example a perfect circle has a relationship between it's diameter and circumference that is specific to an infinite number of decimal places.
"For a hermeneut, you sure take the challah" - Polemos

cyclonekruse
6 years ago#38
Herman Ooter posted...
Well I am assuming that some kind of alien life is more likely than some specific alien

Which means you're assuming that there are more kinds of aliens than that specific kind of alien. And I'd probably agree that that's likely a safe assumption. However, do you have any empirical data to back that assumption up? Otherwise it's just that, a baseless assumption.

What's more likely, that I have a coin in my pocket, or that I have a nickel in my pocket?

Poor example because we know there are more coins than just nickles. We don't have such data about your aliens.

Now God is infinitely specific, as is anything that is perfect.
For example a perfect circle has a relationship between it's diameter and circumference that is specific to an infinite number of decimal places.

Great. That still doesn't tell me where you got your numbers from when you determined the odds of God's existence. On what are you basing that calculation, exactly? And on what are you basing the claim that not all ghosts are psychics and not all psychics are ghosts?

User Info: TheRealJiraiya

TheRealJiraiya
6 years ago#39
Um, good thing I'm not? Sucks to be one of those things I suppose, if they even exist.

Are you just trying to be obstinate? Hypothetical situations are hypothetical. That means the response isnt "HEY THATS NOT TRUE". Yeah duh its not true. Thats what makes it a hypothetical.

This particular hypothetical disproves your point. If you dont understand why then we have a communication problem. Maybe someone else can jump in here and clarify what I am trying to say in a clearer way? I dont know how else I can express it, it seems painfully simple as is.
"An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup." -H.L. Mencken
(message deleted)
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. 50 Proofs that God is not real?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived