This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

if someone who isn't religious suggested that you don't follow any religion

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. if someone who isn't religious suggested that you don't follow any religion

User Info: hamsandwich3141

hamsandwich3141
6 years ago#11
Thanos_Galactus posted...
Can you list them? My brain isn't working right tonight. Some chick is saying this nonsense to me.

First there's the implication that your mind is already closed (to keep it closed it must be closed in the first place), which is not necessarily true. And then comes the absurd idea that a suggestion is the same forcing something upon someone. Overall it's one of the dumbest things I've heard in a while.
I only have a signature so I can type my posts in CAPS LOCK.

User Info: TheRealJiraiya

TheRealJiraiya
6 years ago#12
yodachoda7891 posted...
False. Religion, by definition, means you need to close your mind because you have to just accept the religion without questioning anything.

This statement is false.
"An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup." -H.L. Mencken

User Info: KAVEEKS

KAVEEKS
6 years ago#13
How is that statement false? Or more specifically, how is your mind "open" to new ideas if you believe that YOUR holy scripture, (an ancient collection of writings) has all the answers and has had then for thousands if years?
|¯¯|·|¯¯·\····/\····/··
|__|·|__···\/····\/····

User Info: shockwavejim

shockwavejim
6 years ago#14
Religious views are many and varied. Not all are predicated upon unquestioning acceptance of scripture.
nulla servitus turpior est quam voluntaria

User Info: hamsandwich3141

hamsandwich3141
6 years ago#15
Open to new ideas is not the same as believing everything anyone tells you. It means considering things you hear, and then maybe deciding that, no, the new explanation is not as satisfactory as the one provided by your religion. It is certainly possible to be close-minded about your religion, and I think unfortunately many people are, but it is in no way a requirement.
I only have a signature so I can type my posts in CAPS LOCK.

User Info: KAVEEKS

KAVEEKS
6 years ago#16
shockwavepulsarjim | Posted 10/7/2011 12:19:53 PM | message detail | quote Religious views are many and varied. Not all are predicated upon unquestioning acceptance of scripture.

That's true, but when referencing the abrahamic religions, even though not all followers have that "unquestioning acceptance of scripture" they do allhave have a beleif that god's will has been made known to them through some form of revelation. And it's this sense of revelation that keeps people from being open minded because it is not a valid source of knowledge.

hamsandwich3141 | Posted 10/7/2011 12:21:12 PM | message detail | quote Open to new ideas is not the same as believing everything anyone tells you. It means considering things you hear.

Of couse it's not, but the ability to critically and honestly consider new ideas without irrationally deciding "no, the new explanation is not as satisfactory as the one I previously held" is severely diminished if someone is coming from the position that that they have access to the "will of god". Because once someone believes this, they'll be able to rationalize ideas that don't make sense like (homosexuality is a choice) instead of accepting scientific evidence that refutes it by claiming "god said it so it must be true". So just because they hear the "new ideas" but still stick to their previous explanation doesn't mean that they're open minded.
|¯¯|·|¯¯·\····/\····/··
|__|·|__···\/····\/····
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. if someone who isn't religious suggested that you don't follow any religion

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived